Small gas tank?

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came to the civic from a 2002 Accord, so I feel that, but I still find myself not getting gas quite as much, despite having a lead foot and a smaller tank.
Sponsored

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
its not how big the tank is its how far you can go on it. i find that being able to do a full day of driving i'd still stop at least once for one reason or another. and truck stops aint so bad. but i have gone a full tank non stop 410 miles before the lite came on. please note that this is at max speed limit +3% put it this way i pass more vehicles than pass me by a small margin.drop it down just 5mph and could be getting easy 500 miles a tank.
now consider that recently on my road trips to flagstaff from LA (500mi) netted me only 33mpg, requiring me to stop twice for gas. hitting very high winds both ways were the cause. so if the civic only got 35mpg then yes its small.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
My friend's 2007 Accord had a 17 gallon tank. I keep my tank full and top it off fairly consistently (don't want it to go below a half a tank, usually fill it when there is still 3/4 in there - don't judge).

Now that I work walking distance from where I live and no longer have to drive 80+ miles a day to / from work I get great gas mileage and I fill up every like 3 weeks just to keep it full. If I let it go until it was near empty (which is not a good idea in winter since it's parked outside) I would probably fill up every other month lol.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I believe most cars in this segment has a ~50L (uh... 13 gallons) fuel tank. The Impreza might have a bit more. 500km/310 miles should be easily achievable under regular traffic conditions.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went from a 2006 TSX to the 2017 Civic Sport Touring. Despite going down to a smaller gas tank, I am filling up less on the Civic, about every 2 weeks vs every 10-12 days with the TSX. Driving further on a smaller gas tank than my last car, I'm OK with that.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I feel like most cars in this class have around a 10-12 gallon gas tank. My '13 focus had a similar tank size to my current Civic. I kinda get what the OP is talking about though because I get around 24-25 MPG right now (without "gunning" it) and it feels like I have to fill up a lot. Maybe they could have made it just a tad bit bigger.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
If some aftermarket company built an aftermarket fuel tank with an extra gallon or two in capacity, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

That being said, I just drove from Key Largo FL, to the Georgia state line on a single tank of gas.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
If some aftermarket company built an aftermarket fuel tank with an extra gallon or two in capacity, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

That being said, I just drove from Key Largo FL, to the Georgia state line on a single tank of gas.
Would you really pay potentially $600-$800 extra in parts and labor, risk losing your warranty, for an extra gallon and a half in your fuel tank capacity?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I would be hoping that if I let the dealer install it, that it wouldn't interfere with the warranty too much. The factory warranty expires in another thousand miles. The dealers "Lifetime Warranty" I have doubts about.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
My 96 Civic had a 10g tank. The larger tank is part of being a larger car. The frequency of fill ups shouldn't change since you're likely getting the same miles out of the smaller tank.

maninder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That's amazing and I'm really jealous!

If I drive really diligently I barely break 32.1 mpg with a '17 Hatch Sport. I usually have a heavy foot when passing freeway traffic so my usual mpg floats around 27-28. With premium I'm lucky to break 300 miles per tank so your numbers of 400+ are astounding.

I drove 620 miles straight through with my cruise set to 72-82 with a few slow downs for work zones. Avg 41.9 MPG and got 420-440 miles per tank but I normally fill up a bit early. 400+ miles per tank is generally accepted as being average to above average.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's amazing and I'm really jealous!

If I drive really diligently I barely break 32.1 mpg with a '17 Hatch Sport. I usually have a heavy foot when passing freeway traffic so my usual mpg floats around 27-28. With premium I'm lucky to break 300 miles per tank so your numbers of 400+ are astounding.
Yeah I was looking at my trip logs and the drive back I only got 38.1 so maybe I had a tail wind on the drive out to get that 41.9.
Sponsored