usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
So pi$$ed right now. Brand new tires and I managed to curb it and this is the result:

Honda Civic 10th gen Small chunk out of tire sidewall IMG_2730

It's about 1/16 inch deep. Safe to drive on? If so, what could I use to glue/bond the flapping rubber flush with the rest of the sidewall?
Sponsored

Stomekuttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch
Country flag
I wouldn’t risk it. My thought is that it is gonna blow at the worst time. Think about how fast those tires rotate on the interstate or highway and how many bumps that you hit. plus the sidewall is a lot thinner than the tread area

I had and bolt in my tire that was very close to the sidewalk that I had to replace recently, luckily I had a tire warranty that I bought and they replaced the tire for free. Do you have something like that?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just took it by my mechanic to have it inspected. They said they see no cause for concern unless there were any bulging/bubbling in that area, which there is not. But of course I'll keep an eye on it to be sure I don't see any changes.

Keep in mind it looks much smaller in person than it appears in the picture.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
@usagora,
If there is no exposed cord, then you should be structurally sound. We do not recommend gluing the piece back though. It looks like a BFGoodrich Advantage T/A. Most have a build up of rubber on the sidewall called a bead guard. It is meant to take the brunt of the abuse. Hope this helps.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
you should be fine i have a similar gash in one of my tires, mine might be a little worse and its been a long time and i have had no issues. I am getting extremely close to needing new tires.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you look at a tire sidewall as it rotates into its foot print, the sidewall flexes substantially. Hence why tire repair facilities do not patch sidewalls. The patch would simply pop off. If you have success with this product, please share.
This wouldn't' be a patch. It's the original rubber that I'm simply gluing back in place. I'd assume since it's an adhesive meant for rubber that it would have some flex to it. Will let you know.

The way you said it originally made it sound like I could harm something by gluing it back, so that's why I was asking.

Thanks!

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have success with this product, please share.
Well, so far so good after 2 weeks of all sorts of weather and driving speeds. The adhesive is very watery, and cures in 30 seconds or less. This is a picture I just took:

Honda Civic 10th gen Small chunk out of tire sidewall IMG_2781

jmac_619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
New to this community, looking to revive this thread a bit. Different location, but hoping to get some thoughts on this?

There was rebar sticking out of a curb that got my good. First curb rash after 30k miles of ownership, sad day.

Honda Civic 10th gen Small chunk out of tire sidewall IMG_8064

Honda Civic 10th gen Small chunk out of tire sidewall IMG_8065