lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is it normal/ok to have a small amount of left and right play of the axle in the CV boot? 1/32 to 1/16th inch of movement, but enough to make a noise? Video of issue below.

There is no front to back movement, and no clicking as I turn the car like with a bad CV joint.

I only hear the noise in the car when I turn the wheel to full lock with some force while completely stopped, but not while I am moving or going over bumps.

The noise started after it became colder. I thought it was my front swaybar and retightened everything but it was all fine. Then I started pulling on my axles to check them and found that the noise comes from the passenger side axle at the CV boot.

All other components are in place, and I have some movement in the driver side axle, but not as much to make noise.

Haven't hit anything, no leaks, boot is intact, car is at 40k miles altogether, this particular axle with boot at 30k after I had to replace from ripping the original boot when I first lowered the car.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
In the video, is the front axle supported, or is it hanging down with nothing underneath? The axle shaft slides in and out to accommodate the change in length when going over bumps. If it is hanging down, the axle is already at its full length. So, the click you hear in the video is it hitting the end of travel. When the tire is on this won't happen.

OP
OP
lurker_j

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
In the video, is the front axle supported, or is it hanging down with nothing underneath? The axle shaft slides in and out to accommodate the change in length when going over bumps. If it is hanging down, the axle is already at its full length. So, the click you hear in the video is it hitting the end of travel. When the tire is on this won't happen.
Hey thanks for the insight. In the video, the axle is hanging without support.

The issue with this now then is that I can still move it as I do in the video and reproduce the sound even when the tire is on and car fully on the ground.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Did you replace the axle with a Honda axle, or a cheap aftermarket one? I had a problem with a cheap one I bought online and had to replace it eventually with a Honda one.

OP
OP
lurker_j

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did you replace the axle with a Honda axle, or a cheap aftermarket one? I had a problem with a cheap one I bought online and had to replace it eventually with a Honda one.
I replaced it with a Honda one. Just the half shaft though, not the whole passenger side into the transmission.

I’ve read of people having axle issues of different kinds on their passenger side axles even with Honda ones, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a defect.
Sponsored