John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX, 2022 Honda Navi
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Name: Slow Kart...my last Honda build was a bone stock (engine/exterior/interior) 98 LS sedan. I left the engine stock, but I modded every single bit of the suspension I could. The car was a blast to drive as a daily. It handled like a go kart. When I built this car, I decided to call it slow kart because I was going to excessively mod things but knew that I was handicapped to about 260WTQ due to the CVT.

So in 2019, I got a job at Michigan State University and moved just a few miles from campus. For any of you wondering, a Titan XD does not do well on a college campus. I decided it was time to get something more practical. So in June 2019, I traded in my favorite truck so far for the current generation (at the time) of my favorite daily driver. I looked around and found a certified used 2018 Honda Civic EX hatchback with 27K miles for $18,000. Seemed like a good deal to me. It had everything I wanted (1.5T, heated seats, sunroof, and a spare tire well).

My second car was a 1998 Honda Civic EX coupe. I still kick myself to this day for selling it, but I had nowhere to store it when I deployed. So I sold it wayyy back in 2006. This FK7 was my opportunity to do what I wanted to do to the coupe (it just had springs and GS-R blades at the time). So I traded in the truck, and I drove the FK7 stock for about a week before this process began. It's been a long and occasionally frustrating process, but with only two parts left to go I'm happy I did it.

...Since I know there is a lot of hatred for automatics (especially CVT's), I'll preface all of this. In 2007 I was hit with an IED. I damaged my ACL and MCL. I broke my left fibula and most of the bones in my left foot. I have two severely damaged vertebrae that need to be fused. Everything eventually healed but not very well. As I've gotten older (30+), it's started to cause more issues...to the point that walking most days causes me pain. Driving a manual now causes pain and discomfort. So I sold all my cars (95 GS-R hatch, 98 LS sedan, and 300ZX) and started buying autos. It's not what I wanted, but it is what it is. So let's just save the whole "autos suck" nonsense.

• Exterior:
    • ProCivic Grille
    • Mugen Window Visors
    • Aeroflow Front Splitter (removing soon)
    • Aeroflow Side Skirts (removing soon)
    • Aeroflow Rear Diffuser (removing soon)
    • Caruse Design Spoiler
  • Interior:
    • Husky All-Weather Floor Mats
    • Honda Sport Pedals
    • Buddy Club Steering Wheel
    • Honda Civic Si Driver Seat
  • Engine:
    • Spoon Radiator Cap
    • Koyo Radiator
    • Mishimoto Radiator Hoses
    • Mishimoto Catch Can (replacing soon)
    • PRL Intercooler
    • PRL Cobra Intake
    • PRL Turbo Inlet Pipe
    • PTP Turbo Blanket
    • PTP Turbo Inlet Pipe Blanket
    • RV6 Down-Pipe (Catted/Ceramic)
    • RV6 Front-Pipe (Ceramic)
    • MRT Cat-Back Exhaust
    • 27Won Rear Motor Mount (Street)
    • PRL Battery Tie-Down Bar
    • PRL Oil Cap
    • KTuner V2 (w/IMW Tune)
  • Brakes:
    • 27Won Big Brake Kit
    • EBC Slotted Rotors (Rear)
    • EBC Red Stuff Pads (Rear)
    • Goodridge Brake Lines
    • 27Won Master Cylinder Brace
  • Suspension:
    • Air Lift 3H
    • Eibach Front End Links
    • Eibach Rear End Links
    • Eibach Front Sway Bar
    • Eibach Rear Sway Bar
    • Eibach Subframe Brace
    • Eibach Rear Camber Arms
    • Eibach Control Arms
    • 27Won Strut Tower Bar
  • Wheels/Tires:
    • Sparco Terra 18x8 +45
    • Nitto Motivo All-Season 235/40/18
  • Future:
    • PRL Air-Oil Separator
    • Vinyl Wrap (maybe?)

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 1

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 2

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 3

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 4

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 5

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 8

Last edited:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
OP
OP
slwkrt

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This car is gorgeous! Love the build.
Thank you. It's been a fun process. Weirdly, I enjoy the car more than most of my previous projects. Maybe because it still runs without issue. :rofl:

awesome build man, tastefully modded!
If you are tuned make sure to add your car to @gtman thread!
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361/
Thank you. I'm a big fan of subtle sleepers. One of the first things I did was add my notes to that thread.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Thank you. It's been a fun process. Weirdly, I enjoy the car more than most of my previous projects. Maybe because it still runs without issue. :rofl:

Thank you. I'm a big fan of subtle sleepers. One of the first things I did was add my notes to that thread.
Sleeper builds are my favorite as well. I did that with my Chevy Impala. I was about to supercharge it, but someone t-boned it and that ruined my next project on the car since it was totaled via insurance.

Photo of the car when I dyno'd it.

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively download_20140917_022416

OP
OP
slwkrt

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sleeper builds are my favorite as well. I did that with my Chevy Impala. I was about to supercharge it, but someone t-boned it and that ruined my next project on the car since it was totaled via insurance.

Photo of the car when I dyno'd it.

download_20140917_022416.jpeg
Shows like RoadKill have really rekindled my love of built shitty cars and sleepers. Sometimes it's just fun to build something uncommon.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shows like RoadKill have really rekindled my love of built shitty cars and sleepers. Sometimes it's just fun to build something uncommon.
That was my goal with my Impala. I'm going to have to watch that show and see what it is about. I pushed the impala as far as I wanted to before doing either a cam swap for NA or supercharging, and I wanted to make the first 01 supercharged since I didn't have to do too much to make it work. I had the supercharged parts, tuner and I tuned myself before verifying dyno numbers. I made 4 hp short of a stock grand prix gtp which was supercharged. I miss that build.

OP
OP
slwkrt

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That was my goal with my Impala. I'm going to have to watch that show and see what it is about. I pushed the impala as far as I wanted to before doing either a cam swap for NA or supercharging, and I wanted to make the first 01 supercharged since I didn't have to do too much to make it work. I had the supercharged parts, tuner and I tuned myself before verifying dyno numbers. I made 4 hp short of a stock grand prix gtp which was supercharged. I miss that build.
Definitely check out RoadKill, RoadKill Garage, Hot Rod Garage, and Faster with Finnegan are all solid. They like to build a mix of oddball and conventional stuff. I definitely recommend it.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely check out RoadKill, RoadKill Garage, Hot Rod Garage, and Faster with Finnegan are all solid. They like to build a mix of oddball and conventional stuff. I definitely recommend it.
Much appreciated :)

OP
OP
slwkrt

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
nice job so far
Thank you. As soon as we get the brake kit done she's taking a break (no pun intended) from modification. Just going to enjoy until it's time to tear the engine apart for a rebuild.

OP
OP
slwkrt

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Finally got the front brake kit installed and rears refreshed. Swapped old Dot3 for Dot4. Car is officially complete according to the build sheet I made originally in 2018.

Swapping out the catch can is an unnecessary change, but I just hate where the Mishimoto tank mounts. So I still need to do that. DRob has also made some convincing arguments towards swapping out the factory turbo to shift my power curve. I may do this next year when I swap to ARP head studs and have the valves walnut blasted. Otherwise it's really just a maintain and enjoy status.

21-23 Accord 2.0T is the next project as soon as they hit reasonable prices on the CPO market. That will be the new project/daily. The Civic will get stripped down for track fun.

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 1D2E0A9C-F4A7-488C-A637-A474F9114A52

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively 6C1B4909-58C3-4F5B-AAB7-EFBE29519183

Honda Civic 10th gen SLWKRT (Slow Kart): How to build slow expensively EE940B9B-488D-46BC-B10D-10EAE90CA8EC