SLOW Head unit

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So my head unit was always pretty laggy and slow so I installed the "honda hack" because I read something about optimizations but it did nothing.

I've seen people using their HUs for youtube/netflix/Google Maps and whatnot but mine wouldn't even load them. Just got stuck at the loading screens for every app. I couldn't even get the customized steering wheel controls to work while driving. I set one of the buttons to toggle the rear view camera but for some reason it only works when parked... like when I can just use reverse.

Honestly, other than the fact that I spent $25 for the pro version, I don't even really mind not being able to do any of that stuff but I'm just curious as to why I wasn't able to and why the hell has my HU always been so slow and laggy even when just going through the menus and HVAC controls... they cant all possibly be this slow... right? How do you guys manage to run Ktuner or Hondata on such slow devices? Is mine just extra screwed up?
Sponsored

Edward

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Honda hack made my head unit extremely laggy so I uninstalled it and factory reset my head unit and its working normal now...try factory reset it
So my head unit was always pretty laggy and slow so I installed the "honda hack" because I read something about optimizations but it did nothing.

I've seen people using their HUs for youtube/netflix/Google Maps and whatnot but mine wouldn't even load them. Just got stuck at the loading screens for every app. I couldn't even get the customized steering wheel controls to work while driving. I set one of the buttons to toggle the rear view camera but for some reason it only works when parked... like when I can just use reverse.

Honestly, other than the fact that I spent $25 for the pro version, I don't even really mind not being able to do any of that stuff but I'm just curious as to why I wasn't able to and why the hell has my HU always been so slow and laggy even when just going through the menus and HVAC controls... they cant all possibly be this slow... right? How do you guys manage to run Ktuner or Hondata on such slow devices? Is mine just extra screwed up?

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda hack made my head unit extremely laggy so I uninstalled it and factory reset my head unit and its working normal now...try factory reset it
I've factory restored it a few times in the past but it was always slow and that never fixed it. My OP was addressing two points really,

1. OEM Head unit was slow from day 1
2. Honda hack didn't help and newly installed apps don't work or are extremely slow.

I guess this is how it is?

Edward

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Well to be honest I find the honda civic head unit to be slow when compared to my Toyota Corolla se head unit...so yeah I guess that's how it is
I've factory restored it a few times in the past but it was always slow and that never fixed it. My OP was addressing two points really,

1. OEM Head unit was slow from day 1
2. Honda hack didn't help and newly installed apps don't work or are extremely slow.

I guess this is how it is?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I don’t understand why anyone needs netflix and youtube on their car infotainment. The processing power in these units is comparable to an android phone from 2010.

Park the car and watch your youtube on your phone.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t understand why anyone needs netflix and youtube on their car infotainment. The processing power in these units is comparable to an android phone from 2010.

Park the car and watch your youtube on your phone.
I wouldn't say anyone needs it but the screen on the HU is bigger than even the biggest phones and it would free up your phone.

ChefBoyardeez10

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FC3
Country flag
So i believe that adding honda hack slowed my unit down ( a decent amount) I simply added it because I got it for free from the programmer and I have not used it since. With that being said, does the dealership offer a headhunt reset or update?

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So i believe that adding honda hack slowed my unit down ( a decent amount) I simply added it because I got it for free from the programmer and I have not used it since. With that being said, does the dealership offer a headhunt reset or update?
Reset? Can't you do that yourself? Does the factory reset not actually reset it?

As far as updates go... If anyone knows about this, please do tell.

ChefBoyardeez10

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FC3
Country flag
Reset? Can't you do that yourself? Does the factory reset not actually reset it?

As far as updates go... If anyone knows about this, please do tell.
My good friend works at the dealership local to me, bro ill give him a call and post back a reply here shortly.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Depending on your year, which I see is 2018, not sure if you've had any radio updates installed by the dealer. I know there's been a few releases from what I've seen. Might be worth factory resetting yours and then take it in for them to upgrade it under warranty. These radios are pretty slow but I can run HondaHack, Viper4Android and TunerView Lite no problem, al though a little slow to start initially. I definitely wouldn't recommend installing any other apps on the headunit (YouTube, Spotify, Waze, etc.).

There's a feature of HondaHack where you can clear the cache, etc. so that might be worth a try too. I would also do a hard reboot too. Press and hold the power button for like 10 seconds until the reboot option appears. When the car is shutoff, the radio doesn't technically shutdown, more like a sleep/hibernation mode.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
If I remember correctly, the Android version of my 2018 SI is 4.4. Android 4.4 was released in 2013 and is no longer supported. Not sure if the hardware can support a newer Android.

It would be great if owners of 2020 models check the Android version.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
If I remember correctly, the Android version of my 2018 SI is 4.4. Android 4.4 was released in 2013 and is no longer supported. Not sure if the hardware can support a newer Android.

It would be great if owners of 2020 models check the Android version.
That’s correct but there has been firmware updates on the head unit itself, not really the Android OS. I have a 2020 myself and could check shortly but I know the OS should be the same. It’s the firmware I’d be concerned about.

xinvisionx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Just checked my 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport. Running Android version 4.2.2

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Just checked my 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport. Running Android version 4.2.2
Damned. This is disappointing. When I bought my 08 Civic back in November-2017, I was disappointed to see the Android version. I was hoping owners of new Civics would have better luck.

Thanks for checking.

Last edited:

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think likely it is limited by the hardware capability, that's why it's stuck in 4.2.2, also, I don't see much more benefit for Honda to invest in having a team to develop the upgrading code while their purpose is fulfilled, remember, they didn't expect us to install any apps at all, so to use AA/ACP, Garmin map, Radio, Bluetooth, USB, and HondaLink, the current spec is good enough for them.

Compare it to other Android devices, manufacturers like LG or Samsung don't provide updates to their devices after 2 to 3 years, unless if it's some critical security batch, guessing it is probably developed before the 2016 model year (is there other older models use similar OS?) It helps us to stop wishing for any OS updates.

Myself, I don't see the need for more entertaining apps at all. YouTube and Netflix? Not directly saying our head unit, but even if I have a 12 inch but old slow Android device, without question I'll stay with my newer 6 inch phone, slowness is time wasting and frustrating.

Google map and Waze, do people really hate their Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay this much? It is there already, why would someone put another map or 2 on top of them plus the factory Garmin map?

My recipe is, Honda Hack, then put in Viper4Android, Hong Kong radio app, Hong Kong forum app, Chrome(don't really need that), and Droid Optimizer, Honda Hack does have the Cache delete function, but I remember it's only available with the more expensive version. Myself I didn't even paid for the cheap version lol so I'll let Droid Optimizer do it for me.

Just keep what is essential for the driving experience and light weight, treat it like any other ancient Android device, and it will stay smooth.
Sponsored