REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Just keep what is essential for the driving experience and light weight, treat it like any other ancient Android device, and it will stay smooth.
It was extremely slow before Honda hack which is why I installed it. There's sometimes a 5 second delay when I hit the HVAC button.
Sponsored

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was extremely slow before Honda hack which is why I installed it. There's sometimes a 5 second delay when I hit the HVAC button.
Yea this one I can't argue, HVAC is always slower, indeed with that in mind, now I do see the whole thing is slow, but it's not slow like I wonder if it's frozen

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I would not install any additional app to the head unit.
It is now slow but somewhat bearable for basic functions Including GPS. Installing additional apps would just slow it down.

carl4

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Anything requiring Google Play services will hammer performance. Uninstall those apps and the google stuff. If you really need YouTube there's NewPipe.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Honda Hack should NOT slow your headunit down for the most part. I have it installed on my 2018 and it works great, the headunit has never been a speed demon but its usable. I have youtube, netflix, tuner view and a speed recorder installed on it currently. Is your headunit just consistently always slow or does it have intermittent periods of it freezing up?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My infotainment system is not the fastest around, but I wouldn't call it slow by any measure.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Headunit is hardware limited, I think it only has a measly 256mb of ram lmao.

Get an aftermarket one or uninstall google playservices.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
The two things that suck for how Honda and most others deal with infotainment is that it is engineered to value and nothing more and that there is still a lack of understanding that constant updates are the reality of the future (Tesla). The first Honda product to even get OTA updates is the latest generation Acura RDX.

They should not cheap out on the guts of these systems but differentiate models and trim levels on screen size and quality.

That all being said, some things I have noticed that can help things along for performance is to definitely to a reboot holding the power "button" every week or two. I also press the climate button twice after starting the car. This seems to cache the interface and is more responsive for the rest of that drive. Otherwise, I live in AA so most of the rest of the interface is of little concern to me.

I just hope that Honda gets their total systems integration ecosystem and length of service and support all figured out. It is one thing to think about Samsung not providing updates past 2 years but you don't replace your car every two years on a lark. Also, unless Honda starts making newer head-units available as an upgrade later on, they need to design these things for 5+ years of serious capability. Say the guts of a modern (previous years top phone before model is released) top shelf phone. Super easy to use that in all your vehicles and then just wrap a different screen and software onto it as needed. And for the love of Pete, OTA updates. And not just for the Infotainment but even at a Tesla level of releases for things all throughout the vehicle.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
In general I hate updates, OTA updates would be a deal breaker for me if there was no option to turn them off. My personal PC I have all updates turned off and never have a problem, my work PC which has forced windows updates inevitably breaks something and I have to figure out how to fix it or get around it. My amazon firestick used to run fine, now it’s bogged down and cluttered by all the changes they forced on it. Hate the new interface of Android Auto which has been forced on us. Easily updated firmware induces lax testing and lazy programming and tends to have a lot more bugs.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would not install any additional app to the head unit.
It is now slow but somewhat bearable for basic functions Including GPS. Installing additional apps would just slow it down.
Honda Hack should NOT slow your headunit down for the most part. I have it installed on my 2018 and it works great, the headunit has never been a speed demon but its usable. I have youtube, netflix, tuner view and a speed recorder installed on it currently. Is your headunit just consistently always slow or does it have intermittent periods of it freezing up?
Headunit is hardware limited, I think it only has a measly 256mb of ram lmao.

Get an aftermarket one or uninstall google playservices.
It was slow before the honda hack. It has always been slow. Honda hack gave me the ability to install apps and when I did that, the apps were unusable. Either didn't load at all or were just moving at a glacier's pace. I have no problem not using any extra apps but my original complaint as I stated was that even before Honda hack, going through menus was always slow intermittently slow especially operating the HVAC controls. Often times, upon the first use of the HVAC menu, there is up to a 5 second delay after pressing the physical button before the HVAC screen appears. It's straight from 2009.

I never complained to the dealer as 99% of the time, I'm using Android Auto which works well enough.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It was slow before the honda hack. It has always been slow. Honda hack gave me the ability to install apps and when I did that, the apps were unusable. Either didn't load at all or were just moving at a glacier's pace. I have no problem not using any extra apps but my original complaint as I stated was that even before Honda hack, going through menus was always slow intermittently slow especially operating the HVAC controls. Often times, upon the first use of the HVAC menu, there is up to a 5 second delay after pressing the physical button before the HVAC screen appears. It's straight from 2009.

I never complained to the dealer as 99% of the time, I'm using Android Auto which works well enough.
It's because Honda put in a shitty head unit, it's severely under-powered. The only option is getting an aftermarket one.

OP
OP
REBELXSi

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's because Honda put in a shitty head unit, it's severely under-powered. The only option is getting an aftermarket one.
Not really an option in the Si because maintenance items are handled through the head unit.
Sponsored