Slight rattle at certain RPM after Eibach Pro install?

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I've searched the forums and google, but haven't really found anything regarding this issue. So I recently installed Eibach Pro Kit springs on my 10th gen 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport. It is a 6spd manual transmission. Did install myself and everything went pretty smoothly. After install had an alignment done. The car drives smooth, no BIG issues at all, but I've noticed that when driving a little "aggressive" (in a rush, trying to pass a car etc...), around 4000rpm, I here a very slight rattling? Sounds like it's coming from the front right area? But it's only around that rpm range. I've double checked all nuts and bolts and they were all tightened to spec with torque wrench. Everything seems normal and nothing was loose. If I'm driving "normal" (just cruising, not in a rush), the rattling doesn't really happen. Anyone have this issue, or know what it might be? It's puzzling me bc I feel like if it was the spring itself, it'd be doing it non stop and not just around 4000rpm range?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it a metallic or plastic rattling sound? Happen at 4K RPM in any gear? Does rolling the window help you hear the sound better?
Sounds more metallic. And yep any gear around 4rpm I hear it. Once rolling the window down, the air drowns it out. I mean that's how low the sound is. It's not crazy, but enough for me to notice it with windows rolled up.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, I wonder if that spring is fully seated (though that might also be evidenced by a small difference in ride height between the front two sides).

I might also check the rotor dust shield to ensure it wasn't knocked askew during the install.

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm, I wonder if that spring is fully seated (though that might also be evidenced by a small difference in ride height between the front two sides).

I might also check the rotor dust shield to ensure it wasn't knocked askew during the install.
Yea I've thought about that, but the height looks even on both sides? Also, do NOT want to take everything apart again. haha But I guess if it bothers me long enough, I just might have to.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I've thought about that, but the height looks even on both sides? Also, do NOT want to take everything apart again. haha But I guess if it bothers me long enough, I just might have to.
I feel ya. I don't think you have to. In fact, that might introduce other problems. I might take the wheel off that corner, and tap around with a plastic handled tool to see if you can slightly replicate the sound in order to isolate it.

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel ya. I don't think you have to. In fact, that might introduce other problems. I might take the wheel off that corner, and tap around with a plastic handled tool to see if you can slightly replicate the sound in order to isolate it.
SMART! I'm gonna do that this weekend. Fingers crossed that's all it takes. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So just an update, I took the front right wheel off, and banged around a bit with rubber hammer. Everything seems "normal", but I did kind of recreate what the noise sounds like. It's when the rotor dust shield vibrates. So not sure what to do with that, or if that's even really what's vibrating while driving. I have no clue.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So just an update, I took the front right wheel off, and banged around a bit with rubber hammer. Everything seems "normal", but I did kind of recreate what the noise sounds like. It's when the rotor dust shield vibrates. So not sure what to do with that, or if that's even really what's vibrating while driving. I have no clue.
Try bending it slightly away from the rotor. Doing so could change the harmonics.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did bend it a little, but might try a bit more.
And it wasnā€™t contacting anything? Shouldnā€™t need any adjustment, really, or very little, unless it was already misaligned.

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And it wasnā€™t contacting anything? Shouldnā€™t need any adjustment, really, or very little, unless it was already misaligned.
As far as I could tell there was no contact. I'm thinking when I installed my springs, maybe I misaligned it during the process. That front right spring was the first one I did, and I did have to use more "man handling" do get everything in (the front left went way smoother after figuring out my mistakes on the front right lol). I'm going to try and bend it a little more this weekend. I BARELY bent it back this last time. Didn't wanna go overboard or anything.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as I could tell there was no contact. I'm thinking when I installed my springs, maybe I misaligned it during the process. That front right spring was the first one I did, and I did have to use more "man handling" do get everything in (the front left went way smoother after figuring out my mistakes on the front right lol). I'm going to try and bend it a little more this weekend. I BARELY bent it back this last time. Didn't wanna go overboard or anything.
Yeah, it shouldnā€™t need too much adjustment.

Yep, one side is often the ā€˜learning sideā€™, which makes the other side less error-prone. In fact, because of that, I learned a while ago to randomly start on one side or the other in order to equally distribute the ā€˜errorā€™. šŸ˜„

I might recommend ensuing the spring is fully seated in the strut mount. IIRC, the lower end of the spring should be rotated to where the end of the spring is touching the base edge of the lower mount (hope this makes sense. šŸ˜…). If there is a gap, I wonder if itā€™s causing resonance.

OP
OP
Dodif

Dodif

First Name
Dodif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, it shouldnā€™t need too much adjustment.

Yep, one side is often the ā€˜learning sideā€™, which makes the other side less error-prone. In fact, because of that, I learned a while ago to randomly start on one side or the other in order to equally distribute the ā€˜errorā€™. šŸ˜„

I might recommend ensuing the spring is fully seated in the strut mount. IIRC, the lower end of the spring should be rotated to where the end of the spring is touching the base edge of the lower mount (hope this makes sense. šŸ˜…). If there is a gap, I wonder if itā€™s causing resonance.
No I know what you mean, and I did check that. All was good with the spring being fully seated properly. So I'm assuming it HAS to be the rotor dust shield. I'll just play around with it and update later.. Just in case anyone else goes through this. haha
Sponsored