Slight grind while coasting

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
Not sure if anyone has noticed this on their CTR or not. When I'm coasting in 3rd/4th gear anywhere between 2.5/4.5 RPM (not on the gas at all) I can hear a slight grind coming from one of my passenger side wheels. Once I press the gas it goes away though, so not quite sure what's going on. Almost sounds like a super faint version of the sound a train makes when they try to brake :\ Probably going to take it in regardless but was just wondering if anyone knows what it might be / has a similar issue
Sponsored

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
I think I have the same issue as yours. The grind noise occurs when I downshift and coasting but stops when i gas the car.
Mine happens throughout all the gears. It only happens when coasting through the gears.

Any idea what this could be?

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
thanks. we need to get to the bottom of this!!!!! I am going nuts driving the car and hearing it constantly.
As an owner, and knowing it is there, it gets louder and louder....lol

Vince126

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 CW Type R, Volt, Lancer Evolution IX (sold)
Country flag
I have a feeling it's a Heatshield or something under the hood because it's only noticeable at higher rpm. It doesn't seem to vary too much in frequency at higher rpm but it just seems to get louder.

I also notice that it is much louder when the car is cold.

Vince126

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
very much so..... I wonder if its the metal pan that is under the engine. I removed it last week to get to my oil drain bolt and filter and I noticed how flimsy it was and the fact that it was only secured by plastic clips which will definitely vibrate. That or the heatshields on the various exhaust parts.

Someone had mentioned that it could be bushings, and yes I do hear some buzz from the engine mount at light load, but its significantly different from this rattling.

I'm heading down to the dealership next week to pickup my trunk liner so perhaps I'll ask a tech to have a listen to it.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
very much so..... I wonder if its the metal pan that is under the engine. I removed it last week to get to my oil drain bolt and filter and I noticed how flimsy it was and the fact that it was only secured by plastic clips which will definitely vibrate. That or the heatshields on the various exhaust parts.

Someone had mentioned that it could be bushings, and yes I do hear some buzz from the engine mount at light load, but its significantly different from this rattling.

I'm heading down to the dealership next week to pickup my trunk liner so perhaps I'll ask a tech to have a listen to it.

When I change the oil I'll go on a drive without the pan/shield.

My rattle sounds like tin/heatshields...

Vince126

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I change the oil I'll go on a drive without the pan/shield.

My rattle sounds like tin/heatshields...
yeah my thoughts exactly. Please tell me your findings when you do it, its just a bunch of plastic clips, I'm just too lazy to jack up the car again lol.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
The noise is there when coasting with no throttle. I can't confirm, but I think it comes from the helical limited slip which is in the open position while coasting and locks on throttle.

What I can add is this: I tried to set cruise control to 25mph (strictly enforced area, cops are always there) on an uphill section of the road. The car sped up to 28mph. I cancelled cc and go to 25mph–I hear the noise. Resume cc, car speeds up to 28mph–no noise.

On cruise control going uphill, the computer is increasing the throttle to eliminate the noise by going faster than the set speed. I think it is part of the mechanics of the car not a loose panel.

Vince126

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The noise is there when coasting with no throttle. I can't confirm, but I think it comes from the helical limited slip which is in the open position while coasting and locks on throttle.

What I can add is this: I tried to set cruise control to 25mph (strictly enforced area, cops are always there) on an uphill section of the road. The car sped up to 28mph. I cancelled cc and go to 25mph–I hear the noise. Resume cc, car speeds up to 28mph–no noise.

On cruise control going uphill, the computer is increasing the throttle to eliminate the noise by going faster than the set speed. I think it is part of the mechanics of the car not a loose panel.
Wouldn't you be able to hear a varation in pitch of the rattle if it was the diff? Mine just gets louder or quiter when im off the throttle.

Turbo R

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Nissan Skyline GTR - 2017 Civic Type R (coming soon)
Country flag
Check that metal pan for rocks. My friends neighborhood has tons of pea gravel on the asphalt and his has a ton of rocks sitting on top of the metal pan. You can tap it and here them. Also a lot of those same pieces of gravel keep getting down behind the heat shield of the brakes.