Skid shield removal to change oil?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
I recently had a skid shield under my 2020 Civic Sport get bent and start scraping the ground when going over bumps. I thought I had damaged it driving over an ice chunk a while back and the wind finally bent it down low enough to drag (it was a windy day when the noise started, and I, ah, tend to drive pretty fast on the highway). I pulled off the highway, noticed the bent plate at once, and took the car in today to get it bent back into shape and reattached.

The mechanic that fixed it told me that I hadn't knocked clips loose like I'd thought; there were two missing 8mm bolts that should be holding the plate in place.

I bought my car with 14k miles on it, and the only people who have touched the underside of the car is the oil change place I've been going to for six or seven years who have worked on five or six of my cars with no issue in the past.

According to CarFax, the last place to change the oil before I bought the car was WalMart.

So I'm wondering -- do any of those skid plates have to come off to change the oil in a 2020 Civic Sport with the 1.5T engine? If so, I'll mention something to my oil change guy about checking the bolts...but I can't imagine that you'd have to take a plate off to get to the drain plug or filter. I've never changed the oil myself on this car (bought it a few months ago) so I have no idea what it looks like down there.

If it's not an oil change, I'm wondering how or why those two 8mm bolts would be missing? Any ideas?
Sponsored

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, you have to remove skid plate to do an oil change. Someone could definitely forget to put those back on when replacing.

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
Well shit. Looks like I've got to have a chat with my oil change guy.

Thanks for the info and the pic. Much appreciated.

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
maybe you bought it without those screws. ?‍♂

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
maybe you bought it without those screws. ?‍♂
Maybe but I've had two oil changes since I bought it so even if my guy didn't lose them he should have mentioned them missing.

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
my sis takes her 9th gen accord in for her oil change and she always come back with missing screws. and i keep bending her skid plate back and replacing the screws for her. I keep on insisting to do her her oil change but she said does not want to bother me....i always have spare screws like these on hand.

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
my sis takes her 9th gen accord in for her oil change and she always come back with missing screws. and i keep bending her skid plate back and replacing the screws for her. I keep on insisting to do her her oil change but she said does not want to bother me....i always have spare screws like these on hand.
Well, I think I'm gonna stop going to my oil change guy and just take the car to a dealer. I'll have them balance and rotate the tires while they're at it. Just get some general maintenance shit out of the way all at once.

Now I just have to find out if a Honda dealer can order Michelin Pilot Sport all terrain season 4 tires. I can't find them anywhere locally.

I'm also really hoping the dealer will use Mobile 1 or Amsoil or something.

Last edited:

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
LOL! Well, if they can make a rally car out of the 911… ?

I would think that’s a new tire, so most places probably haven’t received any yet. What about Tire Rack or another online place?

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
LOL! Well, if they can make a rally car out of the 911… ?

I would think that’s a new tire, so most places probably haven’t received any yet. What about Tire Rack or another online place?
I've never ordered tires online in my life so I would have no idea how to do that.

I wonder if there are other, more available tires of a similar quality? Right now I have awful tires that literally make the car fishtail in the rain. They're continental conti's or something. They came on the car and they're terrible.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is unlikely that anyone will have the Michelin off-the-shelf. They just keep SUV tires and basic all-season tires in-stock (the stuff most people buy). You'll have to order it, but any tire place should be able to order it for you. I'd recommend Costco if you have one.

Dealer maybe would use your own oil if you brought it to them (most shops would, it just might vary by dealer what they are willing to do ... my dealer won't install non-oem brake pads, for example). The other thing is that Amsoil Signature Series (I think) lacks API cert, which Honda owner's manual calls for, so that one might get push back. Mobil 1 would be fine (as long as they are willing to use oil that you bring to them).

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
Mobil 1 would be fine (as long as they are willing to use oil that you bring to them).
Would they keep the Mobil 1 in stock? Or does Honda have a full synthetic brand I should be using?

Sorry for my ignorance here; the last Honda I owned was a 91 Accord and that was over 20 years ago. I'm not as familiar with the brand as I want to be yet.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would they keep the Mobil 1 in stock? Or does Honda have a full synthetic brand I should be using?

Sorry for my ignorance here; the last Honda I owned was a 91 Accord and that was over 20 years ago. I'm not as familiar with the brand as I want to be yet.
Honda has their own labeled oil (made by another manufacturer, but sold under the Honda brand). https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08798-9137.html. I suspect many dealers will use this. My dealer uses Pennzoil Gold synthetic blend (for whatever reason, presumably cost). At least that is what it would say on the receipt when I took my wife's old CRV there. I doubt they would have Mobil 1 in house, but you'd have to ask what they use. Ideally Honda-branded oil if they are a dealer.
Sponsored