OP

Cycle_NYC

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe 2020
my bad. I definitely meant to put 75. Lol. But either way it’s still more than I wanna spend. Then there’s every time I have to get filters changed. It adds up and I feel like I can save a lot of Kenya if I just learn to do it myself.
From what I gather I can change this whole part, plastic and all with a few drivers and a socket set. Am I right
I do regular oil changes every 3k at a DIY shop. Pay in total less than or around $80. $175 is a rip off tbh, thats robbery. The skid plate comes out with a bunch of twist clips and screws. On a lift, it will take all of Maybe 10 minutes if its your first time going slow. So to answer in short, spend the money IF YOU CAN right now for the plate and save money (in paying someone). I am going to get one in the summer and ik it will be well worth it
The fact that there are DIY shops just blew my mind. I was ver here thinking id have to get a jack and put the car on some blocks to get this done. There's one about an hour from me that I'm gonna check out. Thanks!

OP
OP

Cycle_NYC

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same issue at one point and you can only imagine my face while inside a local dealership when they told me I have to buy the whole under-body assembly. I asked if they were going to let me use one of their lifts to put it on since there is obviously no way to transport it as a whole and the only part I needed would fit in the car and not force me to have them put it on.

They agreed to only charge me for the part and put it on, but damn was I still pissed.
I highly doubt this place would let me just use their lifts to do the work myself. Either way, I feel like they are partially responsible in the first place for the skid plate being loose enough to get caught like this. I do not plan on going back at all, least of all to ask then for favors. What blows my mind though, is that they wanted to charge me 220 for the part when their own parts department sells it direct to the consumer for 130. Absolutely insane.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I highly doubt this place would let me just use their lifts to do the work myself. Either way, I feel like they are partially responsible in the first place for the skid plate being loose enough to get caught like this. I do not plan on going back at all, least of all to ask then for favors. What blows my mind though, is that they wanted to charge me 220 for the part when their own parts department sells it direct to the consumer for 130. Absolutely insane.
A common mistake is that the just put the plate back on. You have to slide the front of it over the plastic trim.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I had 70k miles between my Type R and my Old Si coupe where I did my own oil change every 5k or so miles. Never once had my skid plate come off. It was surely that shops fault, they probably didn't put back the screws, didn't tighten them enough, or didn't put back the clips. The skidplate itself tucks up above the plastic shroud infront of it, so it should never be yanked down by wind or anything in the road when properly bolted in.

OP
OP

Cycle_NYC

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had 70k miles between my Type R and my Old Si coupe where I did my own oil change every 5k or so miles. Never once had my skid plate come off. It was surely that shops fault, they probably didn't put back the screws, didn't tighten them enough, or didn't put back the clips. The skidplate itself tucks up above the plastic shroud infront of it, so it should never be yanked down by wind or anything in the road when properly bolted in.
Everyone that I spoke to said the exact same thing. LOL. But getting the shop to admit that is impossible. They tried to blame it on the snow. Except I've driven in snow for 4 years with no problem; but a week after getting my car serviced its kissing the pavement and there's no connection? I think not. Honestly, I've always wanted to learn how to work on cars and this is just a good reason to start. :) So perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
If you do or want to get into doing your own oil changes, go with the aftermarket plate. You can see doors in the picture that swing down, making removing the drain plug/ filter 100x easier
I have a fumoto drain valve and while a little door in the cover would help for Oil Change "A" not involving the filter, I'm pretty sure I would make a huge mess doing Oil Change "B" with the filter replacement, unless I took off the metal cover. Bottom line, I'd stick with the OEM cover if you can find it -- you likely won't hurt anything running without it, other than gas mileage.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Surprised no one has said the Type R's skidplate works for any of the 10th gens.
74114-TGH-A00 - skidplate
2x 90105-TBA-A00
6x 90674-TY2-A01

Will be what you need

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...the-heck-to-find-this-part.61569/#post-980879

Never buy the entire OEM shroud for the 10th gens. They want like $400. I replaced mine for ~$90 All OEM Honda parts.
Yeah.. but when mine came down, it also destroyed (somehow) the rubber shroud that holds that damn plate on.. and they want the $400+ for that shitty rubber. And the Honda parts sections have raised the skid plate prices alone to $190 here in FL

Last edited:

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
I have a fumoto drain valve and while a little door in the cover would help for Oil Change "A" not involving the filter, I'm pretty sure I would make a huge mess doing Oil Change "B" with the filter replacement, unless I took off the metal cover. Bottom line, I'd stick with the OEM cover if you can find it -- you likely won't hurt anything running without it, other than gas mileage.
It shouldn't make any mess, the door looks big enough that the flow of oil isn't going to hit the tray and spill out everywhere. That's just observation though, it very well may.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
"It shouldn't make any mess" The exact sentiment at the beginning of all of my oil changes. :)

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
6 quarter-turn clips and 2 #3 Phillips screws and the metal cover comes off. Not hard at all. That aftermarket one is pricey asf.
Not hard at all, yet Honda techs can’t ever put them back on correctly.

One guy decided to bend my plastic hook things out to get it on rather than tuck it in the front correctly. Another didn’t put the two front screws back in and I had to have them retrieved off his tool box afterwards. Then another tech didn’t line the holes up correctly and cross-threaded the front screws.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not hard at all, yet Honda techs can’t ever put them back on correctly.

One guy decided to bend my plastic hook things out to get it on rather than tuck it in the front correctly. Another didn’t put the two front screws back in and I had to have them retrieved off his tool box afterwards. Then another tech didn’t line the holes up correctly and cross-threaded the front screws.
Just like the police there’s a few bad apples.

bigf007dreams

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Honda Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you do or want to get into doing your own oil changes, go with the aftermarket plate. You can see doors in the picture that swing down, making removing the drain plug/ filter 100x easier
That's my fav part about it. Convenience of not having to r/r whole skid plate.

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
I just took mine off a week ago as it's bent up and a chunk of it is missing. Hoping to run without it.

Every time I took it to get the oil changed they could NEVER manage to get it back on correctly. Had it fall down on me at 75 mph and catch on the pavement and tear a chunk off once, and then a week ago it caught on some snow and got all bent up again. I went under to inspect and it was hanging by 2 front screws and in the back by one center plastic twist clip.
Sponsored