maynard001

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2000 Honda Accord Manual LX
Country flag
Somehow I trashed my skid plate. Looks like a new one is $100. Looking for some advice. Would you try to bend this one back in shape or just buy a new one?

Also, would any of you mind posting pictures of your installed skid plate? I'm not sure if the part towards the front goes on top of or under the front bumper. There are several tab and a visual reference of how it's supposed to look would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Problems - 2017 EX-T IMG_20180919_165541
Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Problems - 2017 EX-T IMG_20180919_165547

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The front lip of the shield slips on top of the bumper.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Problems - 2017 EX-T IMG_20161127_144805_Ink_LI_zpspo1exonc
Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Problems - 2017 EX-T IMG_20161127_144811_zps18se9iuq
I would just pound that one out and maybe put some foil tape over that area a bit.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Bend it back for now and waits for more GenX civic shows up in the junkyard. :thumbsup:

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW, who did your last oil change? Whoever it was re-installed improperly. If it was the dealer, they would be responsible for replacing it.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine got destroyed the first winter I drove with my Si. The dealer just bent it back when I went in for an oil change. Here in Canada it's like 150$, I'm not gonna spend that every year after winter.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That would be hard to prove.
Not really. The damage is on the front of the shield. If properly installed, the only way that part could be damaged like that would be if the entire front underside of the bumper was also torn, since the bumper portion would be below the shield. If there is no damage to the underside of the bumper, that means that the shield was installed below the bumper, which is incorrect and would cause the front of the shield to sag and be prone to damage.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
FYI...there are some numerous dealerships that sell this part online significantly less than your typical dealership. Many dealerships stock this part because people are constantly replacing them due to negligence. I screwed up mine by pulling up too close to a parking spot cement barrier.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Not really. The damage is on the front of the shield. If properly installed, the only way that part could be damaged like that would be if the entire front underside of the bumper was also torn, since the bumper portion would be below the shield. If there is no damage to the underside of the bumper, that means that the shield was installed below the bumper, which is incorrect and would cause the front of the shield to sag and be prone to damage.
Unless it happened on the way out of the parking lot after a dealer oil change, you're not gonna prove it was them is what I'm saying.

OP
OP
maynard001

maynard001

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BTW, who did your last oil change? Whoever it was re-installed improperly. If it was the dealer, they would be responsible for replacing it.
Well...sad to say that it was me :( . I started doing my own oil changes a few years ago on our 3 cars. Trying to teach my 16 year old how to do the basic stuff on his 2000 Accord that I handed down to him. So I must have not been paying close enough attention to how the plate was on there. Lesson learned......

Thanks for the advice and the pics. Now I see what I did wrong. I'll just bend it back and reinstall.

-Jason

OP
OP
maynard001

maynard001

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMG_20161127_144805_Ink_LI_zpspo1exonc.jpg
IMG_20161127_144811_zps18se9iuq.jpg
I would just pound that one out and maybe put some foil tape over that area a bit.
In looking at your pic (which I really appreciate btw), i think i may have lost a couple of screws. Are there a total of 8? 6 of them being those 90 degree fasteners and then 2 of them being threaded screws?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In looking at your pic (which I really appreciate btw), i think i may have lost a couple of screws. Are there a total of 8? 6 of them being those 90 degree fasteners and then 2 of them being threaded screws?
No problem, yea,just the two front ones are threaded.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unless it happened on the way out of the parking lot after a dealer oil change, you're not gonna prove it was them is what I'm saying.
I agree with you in that it will be hard to prove. I also am following TimberWolf's logic here in that there should be more damage to the car- that it is hard to isolate the plate and damage it IF INSTALLED PROPERLY.

If the plate was not installed property, it would hang down and catch road debris, causing damage exclusive to the front of the plate- just like OP's picture.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
My car's skid late gone for some reason. I'm just waiting for this shitty car to die and buy a different one.
Sponsored