First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got her first oil change today, and the Tech discovered that the engine skid plate was damaged. There is a gouge and a small hole in the metal.

I havent hit anything that I know of, so not sure how it happened. It could have been there when I got the car.

Anyone know what this part is called? I can't find it in the parts catalog.

Honda Civic 10th gen Skid plate damage IMG_8223.JPG
Sponsored

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I'd be tempted to stop-drill the crack, re-install and drive on. Once you see the price you may be too.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Got her first oil change today, and the Tech discovered that the engine skid plate was damaged. There is a gouge and a small hole in the metal.

I havent hit anything that I know of, so not sure how it happened. It could have been there when I got the car.

Anyone know what this part is called? I can't find it in the parts catalog.

IMG_8223.JPG
74110-TBC-A00 Cover Assembly, Engine (Lower)
COVER ASSY., ENGINE (LOWER)

$86.78

i would just hammer it out

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Assuming you haven't been off-roading, I would say a piece of road trash (disintegrated truck tires being the most common) must have took a tumble underneath your car (there's multiple hits). I'd take a look all the way back and make sure there's not any other damage.

$87 is cheaper than I thought, but that's probably not the last time that "skid plate" could take a hit. Guess it's doing it's job (but man is that metal thin, .. not much more than a beer can).

Last edited:

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Assuming you haven't been off-roading, I would say a piece of road trash (disintegrated truck tires being the most common) must have took a tumble underneath your car (there's multiple hits). I'd take a look all the way back and make sure there's not any other damage.

$87 is cheaper than I thought, but that's probably not the last time that "skid plate" could take a hit. Guess it's doing it's job (but man is that metal thin, .. not much more than a beer can).
Its for aero and fuel economy.. Hense why its thin as possible... If it were mine id just put a sticker or something on it... Maybe go as far as riveting another small piece of metal to it for a buck or 2...

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys.

Yes, I'm going to keep using it for the moment. The hole is small enough that I may stop drill it and just use some JB Weld to fill the gap.

She's on a lease and if it can get that much damage without my knowing it, good chance it will be beat enough to need replacement before my lease is up.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
The shield for the 2.0L engine has a different shape and does not have the extra soundproof material. Interesting.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
$87 is not bad at all....maybe my standard is different since we used to own Euro cars only...

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
$87 is not bad at all....maybe my standard is different since we used to own Euro cars only...
Ur correct as euros have had em for years... But a few $ to fix is better than $87

mooneybeams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2010 CR-V EXL
I ran over an orange cone and now I have to replace this part. Mine is mangled. I haven’t had to buy any parts for my civic. Anybody get a good price and where? Thanks!

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I just found out the skid plate for my Civic gone missing. Maybe it fell off or the guy forgot to put it back after oil change.

I tried to order it online but it's too big and heavy and huge shipping cost.

Will the car be fine without it? Any long term issue beside fuel/milage?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
The shield for the 2.0L engine has a different shape and does not have the extra soundproof material. Interesting.
And it vibrates/resonates like a motherf***** with intake and tune. I'm painting mine when I take it off during my downpipe install.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but speaking of under the car, is the underside covering supposed to be hanging down like this?

Honda Civic 10th gen Skid plate damage 20180508_095459

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I can’t say for sure, but all my years as a mechanic says, “that ain’t right”

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cannot find this part for this price. In Canada they want $512!!!!!
You could order it from College Hills Honda, even with shipping and the exchange its still way cheaper.
Sponsored