skid plate crumpled

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
can you please link with part number? most of the results are aftermarket or the wrong plastic part. I don't believe they sell the little metal thing by itself. the like dealer price is $400 and change. When I looked some honda dealer parts departments were selling it online for like $350ish
$350 ish new, but some car breakers should have them for far less ... plenty of 2017/2018 Civics get totaled :(

You might not want to fully disclose under what circumstances the plate fell off..

It should never have just fallen off, and clearly did so because it was not secured correctly after the Dealer did the oil change.

There should be 10 screws holding it on .. these things just do not drop off my themselves, unless they have been installed incorrectly,

And why should you have felt it was necessary to crawl under your car to make sure that the "Professional" Dealer did the job correctly.. it is expected that they should know what they are doing .. they are HONDA TRAINED :rofl:

Anyway, as far as you are concerned, this "thing" dropped off the bottom of your car, shortly after they did the Oil Change .. more than that, you don't need to say any more ... you are not a Honda Mechanic :thumbsup:
Sponsored

OP
OP

mosak

First Name
Fhks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring 2016
I know I am also to blame but because of nature of my job it was not easy to go back to dealer right away. Does any one know the exact part number?

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same Dealer ???
Nope, son had his (now my car) serviced in NM. He has since gotten an Si, and is also occasionally on this forum. My daughter's will be serviced here in the Cleveland area next week while she is visiting for Christmas.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it would not hit if its not loose at the first place. The front end was hanging a little low after oil change but I was putting it off until the next oil change. Learned my lesson, will never trust dealer.

IMG_20181025_180547452.jpg
This very same thing happened to me except I had to find out while going down the highway doing 75 mph and hearing noises! I pulled off the highway and looked under the car thinking I caught something and it was exactly like this. Soooo pissed.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I think I would look on DealerRater and post a review. Also, if dealer is low rated I would find another dealer. When I was buying a new car other dealers reached out to me and I got emails, just because you did not buy the car here please consider us for your cars service. In other words, most dealers would welcome your business.

TX997GTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2011 911 GTS, 2013 G37x coupe
Country flag
it would not hit if its not loose at the first place. The front end was hanging a little low after oil change but I was putting it off until the next oil change. Learned my lesson, will never trust dealer.

IMG_20181025_180547452.jpg
Weird. You didn't give credit to rjm161 for this picture from his post about hitting something and showing this hanging shield. It kind of seems like you took the picture from his post and are claiming this is your before photo. rjm161's post "Skid Plate Hanging" is at the bottom of this page since it also references the shield....

JudgeCrater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Ridgeline, Accord
Country flag
$200 sounds like a steal. Don't think you can convince the dealer it was his fault you hit the curb.
You got off cheap.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
$200 sounds like a steal. Don't think you can convince the dealer it was his fault you hit the curb.
You got off cheap.
Can anyone who has done their own oil change, comment on how securely the 10 screws re-attach after the oil change. Are the Screws "Bolts" or "sheet metal screws".

If they are sheet metal screws, I can picture the Dealers mechanic putting them back with a Air Power Tool, and both crossing and stripping the threads, so they are not secured tightly anymore, and can work loose.

Honda Civic 10th gen skid plate crumpled corrigan%2Bharper%2Bcar

How I picture driving home from the Dealer, after some service work ..!

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can anyone who has done their own oil change, comment on how securely the 10 screws re-attach after the oil change. Are the Screws "Bolts" or "sheet metal screws".

If they are sheet metal screws, I can picture the Dealers mechanic putting them back with a Air Power Tool, and both crossing and stripping the threads, so they are not secured tightly anymore, and can work loose.

corrigan%2Bharper%2Bcar.jpg

Took mine off when installing cold air intake, was able to get them on and off without even lifting the car off the ground

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took mine off when installing cold air intake, was able to get them on and off without even lifting the car off the ground
So were they Bolts, or sheet metal screws ??

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So were they Bolts, or sheet metal screws ??
It was awhile ago that I did it but I think it was a couple bolts and a handful of anchor screws that you give about a half turn and pull them out.

Tried to do the install without taking the skid plate off but I just remember it was a lot easier to take off and put back then I thought it would be

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic ext 4dr sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What state are you in ? I don’t have mine on & I haven’t noticed any difference at all. Besides a little dirt once in a while on my pipes. The skid plate isn’t for wind management, but the trim in front of it is. I just recently took it off after having the skid plate removed for a while & I can hear my front pipe making some slight whistle noise.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Last edited:

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i had almost the same issue. dealer didn't fasten it up right after the oil change and i hit debris on the hyway and ripped it off. the debris was only 1inch high.
i paid for the new skidplate and plastics.
sheesh dealers..

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag

corrigan%2Bharper%2Bcar.jpg

You have to be Canadian to understand what that picture is about lol
Sponsored