skid plate crumpled

mosak

First Name
Fhks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring 2016
I hit the curve coming put of parking lot and crumpled my skid plate.
It was a little loose at front from what I think the dealer forgot to put screws after oil change. It exactly looked like this
https://www.civicx.com/threads/skid-plate-hanging-sport-hatch-question.29977/

It was doing good and I was planning to bring it to dealer attention at next oil change but I hit it before the next oil change.
The dealer price is $220. Is it necessary to put a new one on?.
Its clearly dealer's fault that they did not screw it right. how can I bring it to them that its their fault.

Honda Civic 10th gen skid plate crumpled IMG_1197

Honda Civic 10th gen skid plate crumpled IMG_1198

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
You cant prove it was dealer negligence. Then you hit something.. sounds like its out of pocket expense and a learning experience. The car designed to have the piece installed (either for aerodynamics, heat/wind management etc) so it has a purpose. That said, if a lease, the part will need to be on the car upon its return.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
My car's skid plate gone after an oil change haha but only the metal part. I think the black plastic part still there. It's has been a year and haven't had any problem yet. Hopefully it stay that way. It's stupid how Honda sell the whole undercover and not the skid plate alone. $$$$$$$

Also, without the plate, your engine bay will become a desert real quick.

OP
OP

mosak

First Name
Fhks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic touring 2016
it would not hit if its not loose at the first place. The front end was hanging a little low after oil change but I was putting it off until the next oil change. Learned my lesson, will never trust dealer.

Honda Civic 10th gen skid plate crumpled IMG_20181025_180547452

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
that looks savable. Start hammering on it! Once you get it flat enough, put some ply wood or something hard and flat across it. drive over it a few times to flatten it.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
go back to the dealer that did the oil change and complain.

$200 seems like a steal, can you get a part number for that?

I had to fix mine, from previous posts and the dealer they said had to order the huge piece that small one attaches to, for like $400 ish then plus labor and connectors.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
go back to the dealer that did the oil change and complain.

$200 seems like a steal, can you get a part number for that?

I had to fix mine, from previous posts and the dealer they said had to order the huge piece that small one attaches to, for like $400 ish then plus labor and connectors.
That seem reasonable. The undercover cost about $130 and most shipping company will not accept it cause of the weight and the size. *I tried to order it*.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"Its clearly dealer's fault that they did not screw it right..."

No, it's your fault for not getting it corrected after you knew there was a problem.

If they had not put in enough oil would you have done nothing and waited till the next oil change?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
"Its clearly dealer's fault that they did not screw it right..."

No, it's your fault for not getting it corrected after you knew there was a problem.

If they had not put in enough oil would you have done nothing and waited till the next oil change?
Dealer charge $400+. Cost to dealer - less than $300
Time to re-attach new part .. 10 minutes max.. Up on the lift, attach, down off the lift.
It will need 10? screws as well.

Look at this as a golden opportunity to find out just how Customer Accommodating the Dealer is. It seem clear that the min-wage inexperienced worker that did the oil change, messed up and did not correctly re-secure the part.

Are they really going to loose a CASH COW maintenance customer, for just $300, especially when it is their fault, and also risk all the local bad publicity.

The worse that could happen is that they refuse responsibility, in which case, I would go buy the part and screws (not from that dealer), buy a set of ramps from say Harbor Freight ( less than $50) , and re-attach it yourself, and be set up with the ramps to do your own oil changes in the future.
Oil change is really easy to do, only need a few basic tools .. really the most difficult part is :---

WAIT FOR IT :--

Sliding in, Aligning and Re-attaching the skid plate !!!

Or buy the parts, and get someone else to re-attach the parts.. its just like a small part of an oil change.
Hey, even Jiffy Lube could do that (maybe) without messing up too much.

or

Flatten it out yourself, re-attach it, and then look out for one in better condition, on Ebay (shipping problems ? ) or better still, your local car scrap yard.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Dealer charge $400+. Cost to dealer - less than $300
Time to re-attach new part .. 10 minutes max.. Up on the lift, attach, down off the lift.
It will need 10? screws as well.

Look at this as a golden opportunity to find out just how Customer Accommodating the Dealer is. It seem clear that the min-wage inexperienced worker that did the oil change, messed up and did not correctly re-secure the part.

Are they really going to loose a CASH COW maintenance customer, for just $300, especially when it is their fault, and also risk all the local bad publicity.

The worse that could happen is that they refuse responsibility, in which case, I would go buy the part and screws (not from that dealer), buy a set of ramps from say Harbor Freight ( less than $50) , and re-attach it yourself, and be set up with the ramps to do your own oil changes in the future.
Oil change is really easy to do, only need a few basic tools .. really the most difficult part is :---

WAIT FOR IT :--

Sliding in, Aligning and Re-attaching the skid plate !!!

Or buy the parts, and get someone else to re-attach the parts.. its just like a small part of an oil change.
Hey, even Jiffy Lube could do that (maybe) without messing up too much.

or

Flatten it out yourself, re-attach it, and then look out for one in better condition, on Ebay (shipping problems ? ) or better still, your local car scrap yard.

OMG -- do a Google search on Honda civic skid plate

You can get them for far less than $400 !!!!

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That said, if a lease, the part will need to be on the car upon its return.
I guess this could be a YMMV thing, but of all the leases I've returned, not once have they looked under the car. This has included Honda/Acura vehicles. Honda/Acura also waives a fair amount of excess wear and tear if you are leasing or purchasing another vehicle from them.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And really, WTF is going on with these lazy ass dealers? Is it really too much to ask to have everything put back the way if was when you arrived for service?

My son had to buy a few replacement fasteners when the dealer felt it was okay to not put them all back on. My daughter is visiting for Christmas, and I'm taking her Civic in for service while she's here, so I'll certainly be getting down on the ground to check prior to leaving.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And really, WTF is going on with these lazy ass dealers? Is it really too much to ask to have everything put back the way if was when you arrived for service?

My son had to buy a few replacement fasteners when the dealer felt it was okay to not put them all back on. My daughter is visiting for Christmas, and I'm taking her Civic in for service while she's here, so I'll certainly be getting down on the ground to check prior to leaving.
Same Dealer ???

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
OMG -- do a Google search on Honda civic skid plate

You can get them for far less than $400 !!!!
can you please link with part number? most of the results are aftermarket or the wrong plastic part. I don't believe they sell the little metal thing by itself. the like dealer price is $400 and change. When I looked some honda dealer parts departments were selling it online for like $350ish
Sponsored