Si's have defective clutch?

Does your Si have a clutch that slips when its cold (first 5 10 min of driving after car has sat)?

• Total voters

Rayray86

First Name
Racheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' f150 FX4, 17' 4Runner TRDPRO, 17' civic SI
It's interesting reading all these posts. My Clutch would occasionally slip and the last time I drove it the clutch failed before 10k miles. Cars unmodded, and it was cold at the time I was driving. Dealership said it was a catastrophic clutch failure and my cars still in the shop waiting for hondas warranty approval. Dealership said they've never seen it happen before in their shop.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Hmmm... Over 6000 miles here and I haven't felt slip yet. I don't touch the gas until the clutch pedal is fully out unless starting from a dead stop. I've lugged the car up steep hills in tall gears and still didn't feel any slip. My only problem is water getting into the capless fuel fill entry and filling up the chamber causing me to have to cover the fuel hole with plastic and rubber band.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My only problem is water getting into the capless fuel fill entry and filling up the chamber causing me to have to cover the fuel hole with plastic and rubber band.
Gasoline containing 10% ethanol can dissolve 3.8 teaspoons of water per gallon before phase separation occurs. That's almost an entire cup of water in our Civics' 12.4 gallon tanks.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/waterphs.pdf

A few drops of water entering the fuel filler during a fill-up is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever. You'd have to deliberately pour water into the fuel filler to get enough in there to potentially cause damage or drivability symptoms.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I don't touch the gas until the clutch pedal is fully out unless starting from a dead stop.
The Si clutch engages really high.
On my BMWs I can raise the pedal up half-way and then apply throttle as I continue to come off the clutch.
On the Si, the "dead-zone" is like the last 10% of travel and is tricky.

I used to sit slammed all the way to the ground.
I pumped the seat up about 3 pulls upwards from being completely bottomed out and that smoothed out my 1-2 shift
AND I'm able to apply throttle in last 10% of releasing the clutch aka"dead-zone" without second guessing myself.

Honestly, being completely off the clutch and then applying throttle works very well too.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
I'm at 2,200 miles and the clutch is rock solid no slippage warm or cold.
I have noticed as others have too that the clutch engagement point is high in my case compared to a Focus ST.
The Focus ST clutch pedal is much heavier compared to the super light Si clutch pedal.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Any of you that has clutch slippage, how many rpms does it slip? Mine slips up to around 300rpm in every gear except 6th before it actually engages. This only happens when cold.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
Mine is just over 1,000 miles.

So far it feels fine, but I can "feel" the clutch does seem weak.

When I do shift spiritedly, I give allowance time to shift due to the rev hang.

I thin shifting this without the finesse would accelerate clutch wear and kill it sooner than the norm.

I had a 2005 Civic Si (Ep3) and the clutch felt more robust in my 8th gen vs this one.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
I haven't noticed the clutch slip yet. I'm almost at 7000 miles. I've tried punching it going up hills and it still didn't slip.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10k miles no slippage under any conditions. You guys are making me nervous. I never had any troubles with any Honda I ever owned. I hope she holds up. The Type R tranny problems were a real disappointment to see. I hope that gets sorted out as well.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
The poll data would be more helpful if it specified power mods and slipping.
I agree. What mods and how aggressive is the car being driven? First time driving manual or not? If not, how long has it been since your last manual. I am at 4K miles with no slippage, and drive the car like it was meant to be however I don't take from 1st aggressively or shift aggressively from 1st to 2nd. The clutch feels strong to me.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I agree. What mods and how aggressive is the car being driven? First time driving manual or not? If not, how long has it been since your last manual. I am at 4K miles with no slippage, and drive the car like it was meant to be however I don't take from 1st aggressively or shift aggressively from 1st to 2nd. The clutch feels strong to me.
How would one measure the strength of the clutch? I read you can try starting the car in third gear to see if the clutch is slipping.