Si's have defective clutch?

Does your Si have a clutch that slips when its cold (first 5 10 min of driving after car has sat)?

• Total voters

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
The car has a weak oem clutch. Something so basic and Honda took the cheap route.
Every owner needs to put down $500-$800 right off the bat to upgrade it and be able to mod the car without trouble.
Sponsored

OP
OP

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
if you're talking about the traction control light coming on even though the tires aren't loosing traction, than mine has done it since day one.
Nope never see traction control light go on ever. I dont push my car that hard. Literally it happens as Im accelerating onto freeway in 3rd or 4th gear. RPMs jump up out of synch with speed of car. I suspect some people who dont know how to detect slipping clutch dont even notice. I caught it on a test drive in a different car than I bought and its happening now in mine at about 5000 miles. Too much of a coincidence to see this in two different SI's . Weird thing is randomness at which it happens. Today didnt have it happen once. I have only experienced this about 4 or 5 times but its a definite and pronounced slip when car is already in gear and under full acceleration from around 3000 RPM where torque is coming on..

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
Nope never see traction control light go on ever. I dont push my car that hard. Literally it happens as Im accelerating onto freeway in 3rd or 4th gear. RPMs jump up out of synch with speed of car. I suspect some people who dont know how to detect slipping clutch dont even notice. I caught it on a test drive in a different car than I bought and its happening now in mine at about 5000 miles. Too much of a coincidence to see this in two different SI's . Weird thing is randomness at which it happens. Today didnt have it happen once. I have only experienced this about 4 or 5 times but its a definite and pronounced slip when car is already in gear and under full acceleration from around 3000 RPM where torque is coming on..
Oh, I see. No, I haven't had this specific issue or any other issues so far.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
I agree completely with the OP. My clutched started slipping at day 1. The car had 3mi on it. It did exactly as you said. However, after gentle driving, since I knew there was an issue, the clutch settled in around 500-1000mi. Since then she has never slipped again.
But just like you, all the cars I drove tended to slip when new. I drove cars cars with 50mi on them with clutch chatter already due to abusive test drives with the clutch slipping.

Just drive your car easy for a while, it will get better each day. Just don’t let the clutch slip long to cause damage.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Just under 5K miles and ZERO clutch slippage here. I adhered to the 600-mile break-in procedure listed in the manual. Since then, I can't count the number of WOT runs I've done at a wide range of engine speeds in every gear with no clutch slippage at all.

Tire slippage resulting in VSA activation? Well, now that's a different story. :p

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
Just under 5K miles and ZERO clutch slippage here. I adhered to the 600-mile break-in procedure listed in the manual. Since then, I can't count the number of WOT runs I've done at a wide range of engine speeds in every gear with no clutch slippage at all.

Tire slippage resulting in VSA activation? Well, now that's a different story. :p
Well that's funny I went 1500 miles with not one bit of wide open throttle and started slipping in 3rd gear 1st time I got on it whet away for a few thousand miles So I decided that it would be safe to tune the car well I was wrong clutch will still slip under 4 throttle so I just half throttle all the time now. I cannot believe that they would put such a weak clutch in this car. my old $1000 Nissan sentra could deal with 7000rpm clutch drops on the stock clutch with 230k and not one bit of slippage. Maybe I should have stuck with my Nissan's lol

reelbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Odyssey, 2011 Subaru STI
I think I may have experienced some yesterday, however, it's getting cold up here now, and I thought it may have been my all-seasons losing traction and the stability control kicking in. I was giving about 60% throttle in 3rd going up a hill on a turn and I got a bit of understeer from the wheel slip, but it also felt like the clutch. I felt the RPMs climb quickly. It could have also been the tires spinning, but I didn't feel any hop or hear anything. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I have felt this too. Now I’m reassessing my previous thought that I was just losing traction due to torque and stock all season tires...

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I think I may have experienced some yesterday, however, it's getting cold up here now, and I thought it may have been my all-seasons losing traction and the stability control kicking in. I was giving about 60% throttle in 3rd going up a hill on a turn and I got a bit of understeer from the wheel slip, but it also felt like the clutch. I felt the RPMs climb quickly. It could have also been the tires spinning, but I didn't feel any hop or hear anything. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
If you are having traction issues such as understeer and wheel slip it wouldn't be the clutch slipping. At least I don't see how it could.

Clutch slipping would mean less power getting to the wheels.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
It would slip by shooting up 300-500 rpm if the car is still cold from 3-5th gear. Doesn't do it going into 6th. Normal when cold? Otherwise, when the car is warm, it does not slip.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
It would slip by shooting up 300-500 rpm if the car is still cold from 3-5th gear. Doesn't do it going into 6th. Normal when cold? Otherwise, when the car is warm, it does not slip.
That’s normal. You can’t expect the car to perform 100% until the cars at operating temperature.

reelbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Odyssey, 2011 Subaru STI
If you are having traction issues such as understeer and wheel slip it wouldn't be the clutch slipping. At least I don't see how it could.

Clutch slipping would mean less power getting to the wheels.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. I had understeer earlier on the hill in the turn, but then when that was over, putting power down in 3rd in a straight line at about 60%, I thought I was losing traction, but it was a different sensation than I experience when the car's wheels spin. Typically I feel a hop and bounce, but this different in that the power wasn't going to the wheels and felt a little buttery. I'm not sure if they were spinning or losing traction, or if it was slipping. It's hard to describe.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That’s normal. You can’t expect the car to perform 100% until the cars at operating temperature.
Are you saying a clutch slipping when cold is normal, or normal for the '17- Si? Other than some Honda motor cycles which are designed to slip the clutch when downshifting and not rev matching properly, to prevent sliding the rear tire, I've never heard of clutch slipping being normal for a street vehicle.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Are you saying a clutch slipping when cold is normal, or normal for the '17- Si? Other than some Honda motor cycles which are designed to slip the clutch when downshifting and not rev matching properly, to prevent sliding the rear tire, I've never heard of clutch slipping being normal for a street vehicle.
Normal in general. I’ve owned many cars, and all the manuals did it. When the cars warmed up to operating temperature it stopped. My last two cars were a 2006 civic si, and a 2014 civic si. Both clutches would slip or act weird when I drove the car from a cold start. Which is not bad to do, you drive normally till it’s warmed up. Once it was warmed up, the clutch stopped acting funny and driving became much smoother. I’m not saying hats the issue with the posters above, I’m just saying it could be something to consider, maybe the clutch assembly’s are defective, no one knows right now.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Your experience is much different from mine - owned a few standard shift vehicles (cars and bikes) and driven a bunch more. Never experienced a slipping clutch unless I was feathering it intentionally. The '17- Si may have a clutch issue but it's not normal. We drive a '12 Si with over 60k miles in -20 to 114 degrees F with zero clutch, or any other issue.
Sponsored