SiriusXM Sound Quality

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
So I've had my 2020 EX-L hatch for about a month now and I really like it. The only issue I have is the sound quality on SiriusXM. It sounds slightly distorted or with a little interference (almost static-like) that I notice when listening to talk channels. It is hard to explain. It almost sounds like it's a FM station not quite tuned in right, like one digit off the main channel All other audio inputs sound fine including AM/FM, Podcasts, ApplePlay and bluetooth. Took it into dealer and they tested everything, including the antenna, with no faults so I guess that's just how it is. They did show me how to get to the diagnostic screen which was pretty cool.

Has anyone else noticed that distorted sound quality with the satellite radio?

I want to add that I've had satellite radio in other vehicles and sound quality was never this bad.
Sponsored

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
Yes , some stations have good sound quality and some don’t .

I had this same issue on the last 6 vehicles I’ve had / still have .

Hyundai, Kia , Chevrolet . They all did it

OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
Yes , some stations have good sound quality and some don’t .

I had this same issue on the last 6 vehicles I’ve had / still have .

Hyundai, Kia , Chevrolet . They all did it
Thanks. Helpful to know it’s not just me, lol. Had a 2010 Dodge and 2014 Ford that I never noticed the issue before though. It’s not terrible and it’s only the talk and news channels so no big deal. The music channels sound fine. It is weird though.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
So I've had my 2020 EX-L hatch for about a month now and I really like it. The only issue I have is the sound quality on SiriusXM. It sounds slightly distorted or with a little interference (almost static-like) that I notice when listening to talk channels. It is hard to explain. It almost sounds like it's a FM station not quite tuned in right, like one digit off the main channel All other audio inputs sound fine including AM/FM, Podcasts, ApplePlay and bluetooth. Took it into dealer and they tested everything, including the antenna, with no faults so I guess that's just how it is. They did show me how to get to the diagnostic screen which was pretty cool.

Has anyone else noticed that distorted sound quality with the satellite radio?

I want to add that I've had satellite radio in other vehicles and sound quality was never this bad.
IIRC, at least since 2003, XM has always broadcast talk and news channels in mono not stereo. I don't know if that is still the case but it may explain some of the sound quality issues.

OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
IIRC, at least since 2003, XM has always broadcast talk and news channels in mono not stereo. I don't know if that is still the case but it may explain some of the sound quality issues.
i didn’t know that, thanks. This is still more of an issue than stereo vs mono, but that may be part of it.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
You mean it sounds nasally like on some cheap rental cars?

Thankfully, XM sounds decent and natural on my Si. Not a hint of nasally sound. Pretty much on-par with how XM sounds on more expensive cars.

OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
Yeah, I guess you could say that. I’d say it’s more like distortion. Hard to explain but it just sounds a little off. Dealership checked antenna and diagnostics check out ok. Maybe it’s just me.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Almost sounds like listening to Shortwave or Ham radio (minus the static)? Like most sounds sound okish but some sounds sound nasally or hollow? If that's what you're hearing, then yeah I def have heard that in some cheap rental cars like some of those cheap Kias or even the Nissan Sentra base radios, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's caused by bad antenna or a cheap tuner.

As I said, I'm thankful it sounds pretty decent on the Si. I listened to CNN lots of times and while the SQ is tinny and nothing to write home about, but at least it's natural sounding.

I guess one way to find out is to have the dealer let you sit in an Ex-L to do a side by side comparison. Or upload some public domain broadcast recording like a white house or a Gov Cuomo briefing and maybe someone here can help you out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
Almost sounds like listening to Shortwave or Ham radio (minus the static)? Like most sounds sound okish but some sounds sound nasally or hollow? If that's what you're hearing, then yeah I def have heard that in some cheap rental cars like some of those cheap Kias or even the Nissan Sentra base radios, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's caused by bad antenna or a cheap tuner.

As I said, I'm thankful it sounds pretty decent on the Si. I listened to CNN lots of times and while the SQ is tinny and nothing to write home about, but at least it's natural sounding.

I guess one way to find out is to have the dealer let you sit in an Ex-L to do a side by side comparison. Or upload some public domain broadcast recording like a white house or a Gov Cuomo briefing and maybe someone here can help you out.
That’s a good idea. I will try the side by side comparison next time I go in which won’t be long. Have an issue with paint now too I need them to take a look at.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s a good idea. I will try the side by side comparison next time I go in which won’t be long. Have an issue with paint now too I need them to take a look at.
I'd call them first to confirm if they have one with XM activated for you to compare.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Try this - send the audio from the SXM app to your Honda via Bluetooth or cable, and let us know if you hear a difference (you will - the app is higher quality).

Fundamental issue is that SXM over-compresses the audio.

OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
So to be clear- I should open the Sirius app on my phone and play it through the car Bluetooth connection to see if the quality is better that way? Sorry, I'm not the most tech savvy.

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
SiriusXM is a digital signal coming through from a satellite. Since its digital, when you have a bad signal, it simply cuts out instead of the sound quality deteriorating like an analog signal would. So everyone gets the exact same quality signal.

Having said that, that still doesnt mean it wont sound better with certain tuners, audio systems or cars. Some of them have a custom equalizer setting that makes it sound much better. Same with noise cancelling and other audio processing.

Streaming using the app you're probably able to get a higher bitrate stream than what you would get from satellite. So that alone will improve the sound quality

OP
OP
mbpbo

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
SiriusXM is a digital signal coming through from a satellite. Since its digital, when you have a bad signal, it simply cuts out instead of the sound quality deteriorating like an analog signal would. So everyone gets the exact same quality signal.

Having said that, that still doesnt mean it wont sound better with certain tuners, audio systems or cars. Some of them have a custom equalizer setting that makes it sound much better. Same with noise cancelling and other audio processing.

Streaming using the app you're probably able to get a higher bitrate stream than what you would get from satellite. So that alone will improve the sound quality
Makes sense. Thank you.
Sponsored