Siren like noise after coming to a stop

aclark05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
For about a month now my car (2016 Civic EX) will make a siren like noise after coming to a stop. This sound doesn't always happen though and I am not able to replicate it with any success currently. As a result of this when I took it to the dealership and on a ride with a technician it didn't make the noise.

Today when I started driving I noticed the car making the noise and decided to record it. It happens at around 2 seconds and it is very faint due to the rain and other road noise outside. It is actually quite noticeable/louder then what the video records though but the external noise is kinda drowning it out.

Does anyone might know what is causing this noise or is this just a normal CVT sound?

Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like the compressor activating. Do you have the climate set to auto? Its almost identical to what I hear if I remote start on a cold enough day when the compressor activates for defrost/hot day and the A/C kicks on.

Its not a CVT sound that I've heard before, and I've driven like 5 cars with CVTs before.

OP
OP

aclark05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Sounds like the compressor activating. Do you have the climate set to auto? Its almost identical to what I hear if I remote start on a cold enough day when the compressor activates for defrost/hot day and the A/C kicks on.

Its not a CVT sound that I've heard before, and I've driven like 5 cars with CVTs before.
I do have climate set to auto. It was 55 F out today and I had auto set to 68 F. I can try to not use auto and see how that goes. It is just strange you only hear it after coming to a stop.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Are you using ECO mode along with Auto climate?

ECO will throttle back the climate control as to use less gas, so it may only kick in the compressor when engine load is low, ie. slowing down.

Try fiddling with both ECO and Auto. In any case I don't think it's anything to be worried about...it's not some bomb priming itself :p

Bugman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear only when I have the A/C running, turn off the A/C and see if you still hear it.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have climate set to auto. It was 55 F out today and I had auto set to 68 F. I can try to not use auto and see how that goes. It is just strange you only hear it after coming to a stop.
FWIW the few times I tried auto during cold weather I've heard the compressor kick in. Which was when I immediately took it out of auto.

I've been fine with auto for A/C but never for heat. It does weird stuff with fan speed and the compressor that I don't like, I prefer manually adjusting the heat.

The whole after coming to a stop thing may be like @inv4zn said, less load on the engine + less road/outside noise makes it more noticeable.

OP
OP

aclark05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Are you using ECO mode along with Auto climate?

ECO will throttle back the climate control as to use less gas, so it may only kick in the compressor when engine load is low, ie. slowing down.

Try fiddling with both ECO and Auto. In any case I don't think it's anything to be worried about...it's not some bomb priming itself :p
Today when I recorded it I didn't actually have in ECO. Hopefully it is just the AC and not something mechanical though. I'll experiment and see if I can find out.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Today when I recorded it I didn't actually have in ECO. Hopefully it is just the AC and not something mechanical though. I'll experiment and see if I can find out.
Im with this being the ac also.. And like others mentioned if you hit auto it defaults to having the ac on.. If you go into the climate screen it will say that the ac is neither on or off... If you then click ac off in the climate screen the car will still auto control the temp.. However it will not auto turn on the ac compressor... Have done this with my current civic and our 2 current accords and my previous accord... It defaults it to on cause it removes the humidity.. So i would start by following these steps just to have the ac compressor off.. But so you dont freeze while testing

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Did it do it or not? We told you what to do.. if the ac was off and it didn't happen, case closed.

OP
OP

aclark05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Did it do it or not? We told you what to do.. if the ac was off and it didn't happen, case closed.
It seems to be from my morning commute. I'm about to head home and it is about a 45 minute drive so I'll try it out some more. Will report back.

OP
OP

aclark05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
It seems to be from my morning commute. I'm about to head home and it is about a 45 minute drive so I'll try it out some more. Will report back.
So potentially good news I guess? It is probably related to the compressor. It did not make the noise when I had the air on. In addition I was able to repeat the noise when turning it on and off as well as adjusting the temperature by a lot.

Now I know the source of the sound I hope the dealer will be able to do something about it as it happens quite a lot.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
The radiator and A/C fans make a whining noise when they kick in, much like a turbine sound, they move a lot of air, quite noticeable from the exterior of the vehicle when they start up. Mine often do this sound on engine start up, I'm sure it's the fans, one or both.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Also keep in mind that the Civics use a new type of compressor. The actual term eludes me at the moment but it's some sort of variable thing and supposed to be more efficient.

Unless your HVAC system is acting up, no dealer is going to take your compressor noise seriously, as chances are, it's actually working as it should. I understand strange noises can be unnerving but this seems like its normal.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
the noise on my car is definitely coming from the fans. The reason it happens on startup for me is because I used remote start in winter months and it automatically turns on the front defrost and the fans activate with front defrost (similar to A/C in hot weather). I think the noise is louder with the hood closed, once I turn off the engine you can hear the fans wind down. I isolated it to the fans because when the engine is shut off there is nothing else running but the fans are winding down with momentum and still turning, the compressor is completely turned off at that point. The fans on this car really turn at very high speeds and/or they move a lot of air.

It's a turbine like sound gets louder as the fans wind up and it gets quieter as the fans wind down, very noticeable from the cabin or outside of the vehicle. I rather like the noise as it sounds like a jet turbine lol. If anyone thinks this is defect I don't want it repaired lol. :)

Jleach17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex
So potentially good news I guess? It is probably related to the compressor. It did not make the noise when I had the air on. In addition I was able to repeat the noise when turning it on and off as well as adjusting the temperature by a lot.

Now I know the source of the sound I hope the dealer will be able to do something about it as it happens quite a lot.
Did your dealer figure out the issue? I just bought a 2017 ex and it makes the same sound after startup.
Sponsored