First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've read people saying they got rid of rev hang with tuning.. Is that wrong?
In case the other posters haven't made it clear yet, I'll give you the explanation. I learned this a few months ago when I asked KTuner why my revs were dropping so slowly.

Rev hang: After you let off the throttle, the revs don't start to drop immediately, even if you clutch in. This is a software problem. A tune can eliminate rev hang, meaning there is (nearly) 0 delay between the pedal depressing and the needle starting to drop.
Rev drop: This is how long it takes for the RPM to actually go down. Even after eliminating rev hang, this is painfully long at higher RPMs. This is a hardware problem. So far, we've got a few posts on this forum reporting much more satisfying rev behavior after changing to a single-mass flywheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP

stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
Does switching to single mass flywheel is bad for the tranny and will be a problem for emissions?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hell, I was thinking 100k on flywheel wasn't that bad! Wasn't sure what all the comparing was myself. If my new clutch lasts 60k without slipping I'll be a happy man!
Guess I have high expectations. My last car went nearly 200k on the stock clutch/flywheel before being totalled. It wasn't a very powerful car but I drove the piss out of it.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
While I know very little about flywheels, I have to say you're probably being very negative about your estimate. You're saying most owners will have to change their flywheels before 100k? That's ridiculous.
I am actually being on the generous side of what I was seeing. This doesn't necessarily apply directly to us yet but the range for all the other high torque dual mass equipped cars (ie: scoobys gtis bmw tdi's etc) is 50k-100k miles before they start rattling/failing....like I said read up on them, google dual mass flywheel noise and you will find all kinds of examples.

there are quite a few of the 10th gen guys that have reported strange rattling after doing cdv delete because this stresses the dual mass. May be the reason why e-man and d-rob recommend against the cdv deletion. Somebody tag derek cause i dont know his user name off hand but maybe he can weigh in on this.

I want to not be negative and in fact I am hopeful the opposite will prove true but we dont have alot of high mileage examples yet.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Ok, so I did a search and watched the videos about Dual Mass failure sounds. Luckily at 58,000 miles my Si hasn't developed that sound yet.

Next I watched videos about why Dual Mass flywheels exist, and how they work. Like this:

I'm not impressed. There were four cylinder engines long before there were dual Mass flywheels. It looks to me like they are either covering up for short cuts they made elsewhere, or adding a safety factor for unskilled drivers.

So which of the two is the reason for the use in XGen Civics. I would hope its the second, but I fear that it may be the first.

I'm waiting curiously for reports to show up about Dual Mass failures in our tenth gens before I have to replace my clutch, and maybe flywheel.

Will Honda recommend the replacement of the Dual Mass flywheel when our clutches wear out? Or will the Dual Mass flywheels "wear out" first.

And worse. Will the replacement of our Dual Mass flywheels with a single mass flywheel cause damage to the transmissions that they've installed in our Civics?

Until we collect our own stats, compiled from the failures that we experience, but paid for with our own wages, we are at the mercy of the corporate rhetoric.

Last edited:

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Which updated flywheel? The weak point is the stock clutch, not flywheel. If you have the money, get a SMF with a new clutch
Won’t that cause a lot of unwanted noise in reverse? Or any other gear? Im asking because information is limited on these cars. Im modded don’t want my cars tranny or engine dumping me on the side of the road. Due too my lack of knowledge

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Won’t that cause a lot of unwanted noise in reverse? Or any other gear? Im asking because information is limited on these cars. Im modded don’t want my cars tranny or engine dumping me on the side of the road. Due too my lack of knowledge
When i had the spec steel flywheel it wouldn’t make any additional noise while driving. Only a slight chatter in neutral. If you want it as quiet as stock I would keep the stock flywheel and get like a FX400

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What about Exedy?
  • OEM manufacturer
  • They have smf available
  • They say it's safe with stock flywheel
So far I only know of one user on the forums though...

@LilToTo17 how's the clutch holding up?

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
What about Exedy?
  • OEM manufacturer

I hear the torque levels are weak. Gotta do your research.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear the torque levels are weak. Gotta do your research.
It's supposedly very underrated. That's why I'm asking the one user I know of. He's running W1 and I think flex with Exedy stage 2 clutch and SMF

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
It's supposedly very underrated. That's why I'm asking the one user I know of. He's running W1 and I think flex with Exedy stage 2 clutch and SMF
I was chatting w/ Exedy and the guy seemed pretty confident that the stage 1 option would be fine for any "stage 1" type power. I'm not sure that I'm interested in using the DMF though since it's an unsprung disc. I know you can use it w/ their SMF, but I'm worried about driveability. Plus, at this point my stock DMF is probably toast, so if I'm replacing the DMF, I'm not putting another one back in.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
What about Exedy?
  • OEM manufacturer

They make all the parts for these high dollar items i seen that too. Hence why I’m going Exedy stage 2 kit & using the oem Dmf
Sponsored