First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While there has been a lot of debating about which aftermarket clutch can hold more torque, is daily friendly, has no high RPM lockout etc, I have not read much if anything about the SMF that most aftermarket clutch kits come with ( which obviously includes the retro FK8) and its affect on the knock sensor. While discussing with a professional tuner about which bolt-on turbo to install and telling him that I found the MHI TD03 at a decent price but cant install it due to having a stock clutch, he said that he does not suggest going with an aftermarket kit with a SMF.

The reason, he said, was that the Knock sensor reads many vibrations generated by the SMF, thus creating false knock counts and even affecting the K.control falsely, making it difficult to tune the car properly. He suggested keeping the stock flywheel and doing an aftermarket clutch only. I however have not read about a single aftermarket clutch kit that does not have gear lockout, being daily friendly or at least holding for a decent amount of milage which bolts to the stock Dual Mass Flywheel.

So my question is, have you guys heard of or experienced such K.control / Knock sensor issues while running a SMF?
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did td03 for 8 months before clutch slip. I think it would have lasted longer if I hadn't changed to race MAF and added 27won TIP

No kcontrol or knock issues with smf and td03

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well, thats exactly the setup I want to run. I already have the 27WON TIP and want to upgrade to TD03 along with a race MAF. The tuner put me off completely, I am messaging emann like a maniac to get his SMF/retro FK8. I do not want to jeopardize my tune however with false readings. You checked logs etc and saw no issue?

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
As far as I know the only issue should be a misfire code possibly. I don't think it will affect knock sensor since it doesn't really create any vibrations during a dyno pull. Maybe while shifting vs the dmf.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running the EXEDY stage 2 clutch with the EXEDY smf. It feels like the stock clutch but very grabby. There was chatter in first and reverse if you don't give it enough gas, but it's very mild now that it's broken in.

The pedal feels light, but there is a definite point where you can feel it hook up. It isn't at all vague like the si stock clutch is. If you're rev matching, it's totally smooth.Without rev match, downshifting is less forgiving.
I have had no high end lockouts.

As far as MHI TD03, I wanted the added power but I didn't want to lose the low end torque for city driving. There power is adequate for me. I don't plan on going with flex fuel. The PRL race MAF and TIP add a noticeable bump in torque.

K control is as steady as it's ever been. No odd misfires

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like if you cough, fart or go over a bump the car will show them as "knocks". The sensitivity of that knock sensor is nuts. It's the reason pro tuners tell people to ignore knock count numbers and just worry about knock control.

People also get confused when seeing "misfired cylinders" (no code) show up in the datalog stats. They assume they have true misfires. Fact is, they simply are part of the knock count craziness and show up any time the knock count goes above 0.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It seems like if you cough, fart or go over a bump the car will show them as "knocks". The sensitivity of that knock sensor is nuts. It's the reason pro tuners tell people to ignore knock count numbers and just worry about knock control.

People also get confused when seeing "misfired cylinders" show up in datalogs. They assume they have true misfires. Fact is, they simply are part of the knock sensor craziness and show up any time the knock count goes above 0.
Aren't misfires in these engines detected by the crankshaft position sensor? The ECU declares a misfire for each event when not sensing a crankshaft acceleration from one cylinder, and knows which cylinder from the camshaft position.
Now I would wonder whether a SMF could screw that up too?

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am aware that knock count doesnt play an important role except if there are huge deviations. I do wonder though if the SMF will screw K.control up as well. Also, I havemt read about misfire errors/throwing codes for the retro, the competition clutch or exedy for that matter...

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I didn't see any unusual knock sensor activity, misfire codes, CELs, or abnormal knock control after installing my competition stage 2 kit. I'm using the lightweight, not ultra lightweight, kit.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I have noticed the opposite, less knock control. My DMF was a bit tired and I think sometimes iduced some knock control at high RPM before the false knock rises of non-si take place. With the streetlite SMF (ACT) I haven't noticed any knock control weirdness.

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys, sharing your experience helps a lot! I will move forward with the SMF and keep my fingers crossed!

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Did you ever have clutch slipping with the starter 21 or are you trying to improve the transmission "feeling" with the SMF?

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you ever have clutch slipping with the starter 21 or are you trying to improve the transmission "feeling" with the SMF?
Yesterday it was -2 degrees ambient and the clutch slipped at 3800 rpm...the IATs and turbo pressure were happy though! I am in it for longevity of the clutch, the smf feel will be a bonus

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
I C ... which is kind of strange as mine has never slipped and produces some torque... then there's the CRV weight and maybe the dp & tip create some sort of torque spike.
Have you xonsidered any alternatives to the FK8 retro?

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1st alternative is Competition cause I think its easier to source and 2nd is ACT but I 've read mixed reviews in here, whilst havent seen negative comments on the Competition setup
Sponsored