djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I tried for >3 months, with the last 2 months lowering the price between $32k & $33k & could NOT sell this car.

Lots of tire-kickers, but mainly low-ballers, people who couldn't afford it, or get financing for it, and scammers.

I was really surprised.

I think for vehicles in this price range, a dealer that can finance is the key, so people without cash or who need wide access to finance can focus on low/no-down and what monthly payment they can afford.

Plus lets face it, the Type-R is a very niche car. Seems to mostly appeal to the tuner-crowd of young guys in their 20's. Not a single person that contacted me said they knew about it's track prowess or were interested in tracking it.

I also found it somewhat odd that people cringe in fear when you mention 'track', yet seem to have no qualms buying highly modded cars where the warranty has been completely voided. My car was bone stock except for brakes & tires.

Maybe the dealer I sold it to will have better luck. They paid me $32k & they are asking $35k.

Considering I paid $36.8k OTD last May & put 14 HPDE events on it, I think I fared OK.

I'll miss this car, but honestly, would have missed it a lot more if it came with a power sunroof and power seats. :)

https://www.apeximports.com/pre-owned-cars/detail/2019-Honda-Civic-Type-R/561080

I am thankful for all the help I received here during my ownership! Truly a nice group of folks. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plus lets face it, the Type-R is a very niche car. Seems to mostly appeal to the tuner-crowd of young guys in their 20's. Not a single person that contacted me said they knew about it's track prowess or were interested in tracking it.

I'll miss this car, but honestly, would have missed it a lot more if it came with a power sunroof and power seats. :)
Yes, it's very niche. So long as you are OK with giving up some creature comforts, it's usable every day with pretty much no exceptions. It's got a good ride and the way the engine tuning is setup is superb for most situations (maybe not off the line).

I've never tracked mine and honestly, I doubt I ever will. As fun as it would be, the extra wear is simply too much money for me to contend with right now.

I think for vehicles in this price range, a dealer that can finance is the key, so people without cash or who need wide access to finance can focus on low/no-down and what monthly payment they can afford.
Yes, this is how I was able to afford one. Afford is a technicality here, because it was a dumb financial move no matter how I try and look at it. The good news is, maintenance is fairly cheap and not too far off something like an Si, especially if you bite the bullet and downsize the wheels to 18s.

OP
OP
djhartm

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Yes, the wider 18" wheels were my bane.

I would have saved myself a lot of aggravation if I just bit the bullet early on and bought these for track use, but didn't know how long I'd be keeping the vehicle, so didn't make the investment.

If you track regularly a switch to 18" wider wheels is not an option.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And digression on digression, but I can't wait to see the "NEVER SEEN BOOST" Type R ads. As if literally anyone bought a Type R to not beat the fuck out of it.
Well, they might like my car then ? - It's not like I haven't pushed it hard, I just don't do it very often. When I do push it, it's never over the top anyways.

OP
OP
djhartm

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Everyone wants a pure virgin car with 200 miles on it so it's "used" but is essentially brand new.

I suspect we'll see it more and more here, but over in S2000 land I repeat this until my control, C and C keys wear out:

"Buy a maintained car. You should take a track rat that is pored over after every event twice before some bro who redlines it at every light and dumps Walmart oil in"

And digression on digression, but I can't wait to see the "NEVER SEEN BOOST" Type R ads. As if literally anyone bought a Type R to not beat the fuck out of it.
HAHAHA! So true my friend.

I have a 2018 Z06 and people are even MORE anal there with 'never driven in the rain' a common selling point.

I'm waiting for 'have complete wax & detailing history logbooks'. :)

I put my Z06 into the T6 tirewall @ VIR in October 2018 during an outlap on cold tires on a hot track.

The repair bill is approaching $50k, so I know I will only be able to sell that car as a track car or someone looking for a deal. It's going to be my dedicated track car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Simply could not get rid of my 2019 CTR 20191018_100432

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Many factors come to my mind but obviously the current world situation and location come into play.
Where I am in Socal the price of the new ones with the dealer markups are super high so obviously the used ones are going to go for a decent price too.
I personally think that you did well considering what you paid for it.
Sponsored