Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model

VancouverLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 6MT
Hey everyone.
First time poster, long time lurker. There's a lot of job-relevant info I've gleaned from the membership here, so thank you to all of you first and foremost.
After confirming the Si was not going to be available until this spring/summer I decided to pick up this Canadian spec 2016 LX Sedan with the 6-speed in Crystal Black Pearl.

The Canadian LX Is a little special, coming standard with more features including the touch screen and virtual dash, although I do miss the satisfying sweep of a real tachometer.
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161207_093324
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161207_093353
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161217_173802
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161226_091404
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161231_111308
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20161231_111330

I also added a few accessories that I hand picked from other models, like the 2017 sport hatch pedal set (on backorder), factory fog lamps, red foot well lighting, ROW clear side markers, trunk tray and all weather mats, Honda first aid kit, and I also added limo tint to the rear. New rims and tires are on the list for summer, and that's about it. I won't be keeping this car for more than a few years before I move to something else, so any modifications I do will have to be extremely easily reversible or easy to walk away from. This thread will document the small tweaks I make in the future. Only thing I wish I had done that would keep the performance theme was a leather steering wheel and knob, but at what point do you stop?

I know I'm kind of going backwards modifying and playing with the base model, but it's also the lightest specification Civic available and the 2.0L i-VTEC is a real gem of a motor. The standard six speed also has a nice light clutch and short throw and the car is easy to double clutch. I'm really enjoying the 'slow car fast' experience in it so far. And after owning older cars and paying only cash, the low monthly payment was irresistible. I also tease my coworkers and friends that I'm taking the Colin Chapman approach and simplifying and adding lightness, to which they all roll their eyes.

I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here, and am happy to be aboard! Here are pictures from when it first came in and I laid eyes on it to today. Last picture shows how involved it is to add the led lighting, it was cheap insurance to have a trained technician do it! I'll take some proper photos with a good camera soon now that the car is finally coming together. Cheers!

Last edited:

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Good luck on your journey man!

I noticed you mentioned you picked up red footwell lighting? Is that an OEM accessory you guys have over there? Ours is all blue.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for that link man! I must've been checking the wrong places then.
no problem:thumbsup:. ive been doing alot of looking around myself so i end up stumbling across some of this stuff

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I wish I was ok with maintaing a black car, color sure does look good. but black also sure makes it necessary to smoke out those reflectors...

I feel you with the tach, I wish it was a digital center screen inside an analog tach. I feel like the digital tach doesnt keep up, I KNOW the digital speedo doesnt but that isnt that important to me as I'm romping through the gears.

I also know what you mean about the lightness being nice, only real reason I didnt get the base model is I wanted the 1.5T so ended up with an EX-T, however now stepping into our 16 crv lx I want my android auto and dual zone climate and heated seats and... lol

OP
OP

VancouverLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 6MT
So I'm a few weeks in.
A little more on the tachometer. The redline isn't that obvious. The fact the tach doesn't quite keep up has made for a slightly longer learning curve re: Rev matching than any other car I've driven. I have driven the CRV with a very similar virtual dash, and am concinced I would enjoy that linear graph tach much more in my Civic. I also wish I had a gear indicator for what gear I'm in. I know, a good manual driver just knows, but it would be great to have it where the auto has its own, and it's merely a programming thing.. I can adjust my ambient temperature display to read three degrees higher or lower, but I can't have a display of the gear selected? lol.
Small things. Overall, 1,000km and I'm happy. Some small issues, but they're being rectified and aren't worth mentioning. Liking this car more everyday.
And yes. We get the sport hatch with red instruments, but the base model is blue. I realised base LX has the blue with the same part number as Sedan, and the red was 10% cheaper and had the same part number followed by an 'A', for alternate. So I took the risk. I'm now convinced the console lighting and door sills and other items are also the same plug and play system. I won't be upgrading the main instrument cluster lights to red though, since I won't be keeping the car. Changing to red would be extremely easy. I still prefer the red footwell lighting even with the blue main guages personally. Heck, let's say it's more like a real plane cockpit and really celebrate the weirdness.
I'm also going to investigate more, since models in Australia get door panel lighting packages too and I want to know if that part number exists.
My sport model pedals are inexpensive and OE, and on backorder but are replacement parts. We will see when they arrive. I also may add the single chrome exhaust finisher from Europe.
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20170103_161706

Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20170108_212403
Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20170108_212458

My dealership's parts department manager hates me and my car now, lol. I'll post part numbers tomorrow for you guys. Last two photos are of my car, and my friends' '15 Civic & '16 Accord

OP
OP

VancouverLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 6MT
Also I'm really not okay with maintaining a black car, but it was what was in stock and aside from some flaws on the fuel door, it's a super nice unit with very little orange peel (relatively, for a Honda it's extremely good) - So I'll give it a try. I searched for the midnight red pearl, but the nearest available one in this spec was way too far away and would have been $800 to send over, on top of the dealer trade cost. Not worth it for a car I know I won't be keeping forever.
Digital gauge reminds me of the early 80s Ford I learned to drive on. I LOVE it. Hah

Last edited:
OP
OP

VancouverLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 6MT
As promised, here are some part numbers:
P8346 Accessories
Window Tint = $
All weather mats, 08P17-TBA-300 = $
Trunk Tray, 08U45-TBA-100 = $
Fog Lamps, 08V31-TBA-100B = $
First Aid Kit, 08865-FAK-100 =
Sport Pedals, Aluminum, 08U74-TEA-100A = $
Red Footwell Light Package, 08E10-TEA-100A = $

Other items, not installed but will work include the red console lighting and red sill kick plates.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are the sport pedals mostly for looks or does the brake and gas pedal end up having less of a gap between them? In my ex-t I can no longer side step to rev match while still applying brake pressure because the pedals are too far apart.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
So does anyone know if the red center console illumination will fit the ex-t???

If so I'm picking that up asap!

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
Are the sport pedals mostly for looks or does the brake and gas pedal end up having less of a gap between them? In my ex-t I can no longer side step to rev match while still applying brake pressure because the pedals are too far apart.
No. I measured after reading this post and they are the exact same so you may be better off going aftermarket for what you want.

So does anyone know if the red center console illumination will fit the ex-t???

If so I'm picking that up asap!
Yes! Like the other lighting, it's just one letter away in the part number - an a at the end, which I presume stands for 'alternate' and is also available for the Canadian built Si currently on offer.

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
Also, lost my login info for that account, and stopped posting lol. Also bought a second Honda, with 1/8 the displacement of the Civic and 23hp. :beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen Simplify and add lightness or: How I Learned to stop worrying and Love the Base model IMG_20170928_124237

Keep tuned, a few little things and some long trips are coming up for Lexi the civic, including free aluminum rims from the side of the road for winter and maybe an eBay lip because why not?

Last edited:

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. I measured after reading this post and they are the exact same so you may be better off going aftermarket for what you want.
I actually ended up adjusting the height of the brake pedal and that's all it needed.
Sponsored