Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty?

ixdime

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Hey everyone, I’m looking to buy a 2019 CTR here soon. I’ve been researching the car for awhile and it seems like if you are going to be tracking the car, you are going to run into some overheating issues (I live in FL). I was hoping the CTR could handle track work in 100% stock form while still maintaining my factory warranty. Are there any actually effective cooling mods that would not raise a brow at the dealership OR are easily reversible? For instance, if I blanketed the turbo, wrapped the DP, and installed the better flowing grille, would this be sufficient to get me through a 20 minute session in 90F Florida weather? Or am I dreaming here??
Sponsored

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Hey everyone, I’m looking to buy a 2019 CTR here soon. I’ve been researching the car for awhile and it seems like if you are going to be tracking the car, you are going to run into some overheating issues (I live in FL). I was hoping the CTR could handle track work in 100% stock form while still maintaining my factory warranty. Are there any actually effective cooling mods that would not raise a brow at the dealership OR are easily reversible? For instance, if I blanketed the turbo, wrapped the DP, and installed the better flowing grille, would this be sufficient to get me through a 20 minute session in 90F Florida weather? Or am I dreaming here??

I live in Florida too, and I have a couple mods: Mishimoto Intercooler ( It came with charge pipes) Turbo blanket , GRP downpipe with downpipe blanket , Inlet turbocharger heat wrapped , Inlet turbocharger thermal gasket , charge pipes heat wrapped bottom of intake box heat wrapped. Whit all this mods I got a great improvement , Florida is terrible with heat soak. I will attached some pics.
Some people has experimented also high ECT temperatures, and the solution for that is improve the air flow trough the radiator, some of us replace the front grill.

Depends of the dealer , some dealer does't have any problem with mods, and other does. Basically if they can prove the parts you installed is causing the issue it void the warranty. But some dealers are very strict.

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_4928.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_5027.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_5029.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_5030.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_5031.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? IMG_5032.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Simple Cooling Mods for the Track Without Voiding Warranty? Image-7-17-18-at-2.37-PM-1

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Without modding, you can try turning on the heater to 3/4 setting and fan at full blast to bleed off some heat during track sessions. Obviously, turn the louvers away from your face/body. Here’s a good read:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/issues-civic-type-r-honda-fixing-one/

Last edited:

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
there is a member on here got voided warranty coz of his turbo blanket, surprising right, so do take off the blanket for any dealer services if u dun wanna risk it.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
there is a member on here got voided warranty coz of his turbo blanket, surprising right, so do take off the blanket for any dealer services if u dun wanna risk it.
I came to post exactly this

OP
OP
ixdime

ixdime

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I heard this as well! Thanks for the reminder.
I know it’s not exactly “easy” to remove, but definitely can be removed with no trace

OP
OP
ixdime

ixdime

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in Florida too, and I have a couple mods: Mishimoto Intercooler ( It came with charge pipes) Turbo blanket , GRP downpipe with downpipe blanket , Inlet turbocharger heat wrapped , Inlet turbocharger thermal gasket , charge pipes heat wrapped bottom of intake box heat wrapped. Whit all this mods I got a great improvement , Florida is terrible with heat soak. I will attached some pics.
Some people has experimented also high ECT temperatures, and the solution for that is improve the air flow trough the radiator, some of us replace the front grill.

Depends of the dealer , some dealer does't have any problem with mods, and other does. Basically if they can prove the parts you installed is causing the issue it void the warranty. But some dealers are very strict.
Thanks for the pics. I do know there is some resolving of this issue with a couple mods but intercoolers/intake I would like to avoid. It seems that most of your modifications are heat wrapped items though. Are you still on the the stock radiator and oil cooler? And did you modify your grill?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Thanks for the pics. I do know there is some resolving of this issue with a couple mods but intercoolers/intake I would like to avoid. It seems that most of your modifications are heat wrapped items though. Are you still on the the stock radiator and oil cooler? And did you modify your grill?
I'm still stock radiator and no oil cooler at the moment. But I'm planing to change the front grill and maybe oil cooler in the future.

LoooseR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Integra Type-R
Country flag
I’m curious as I’ve been reading about the cooling issues. Has anyone seen if just going to a better vented hood helps? Getting air through the radiator is obviously key, but what has been results of adding a 2020 or similar grille, while also adding the(what I understand to be) larger capacity 2020 radiator and also a better vented hood? Obviously the hood is the expensive option, but the 2020 radiator and grille aren’t as much as a C&R and an oil cooler. Plus many have done those and ended up still fighting issues. I’m new to the platform but not to the track. Interested to see if those thing have been done.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi LoooseR,
Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with the configuration options you've listed. I don't believe the 2020 OEM radiator would be enough for hard tracking even with a hood.

Here is the solution I've applied and it seems to work very well. I am not tuned, so crossing fingers this will still be enough. Upgrading the HKS oil cooler core to a higher density C&R core for good measure. @Lust runs a very similar setup and was the first to experience success in hot ambient temps. He was able to do it @104F and is a much faster driver that I am. I was able to run in 103F on a slow track, no problems

• Vented hood
  • More open grill
  • PWR/C&R race radiator
  • Intercooler
  • Acuity reverse silicone hoses
  • HKS oil cooler

I’m curious as I’ve been reading about the cooling issues. Has anyone seen if just going to a better vented hood helps? Getting air through the radiator is obviously key, but what has been results of adding a 2020 or similar grille, while also adding the(what I understand to be) larger capacity 2020 radiator and also a better vented hood? Obviously the hood is the expensive option, but the 2020 radiator and grille aren’t as much as a C&R and an oil cooler. Plus many have done those and ended up still fighting issues. I’m new to the platform but not to the track. Interested to see if those thing have been done.

LoooseR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Integra Type-R
Country flag
Hi LoooseR,
Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with the configuration options you've listed. I don't believe the 2020 OEM radiator would be enough for hard tracking even with a hood.

Here is the solution I've applied and it seems to work very well. I am not tuned, so crossing fingers this will still be enough. Upgrading the HKS oil cooler core to a higher density C&R core for good measure. @Lust runs a very similar setup and was the first to experience success in hot ambient temps. He was able to do it @104F and is a much faster driver that I am. I was able to run in 103F on a slow track, no problems

• Vented hood
  • More open grill
  • PWR/C&R race radiator
  • Intercooler
  • HKS oil cooler
thank you kind sir!

im in Arizona so literally keeping the car cool is all I’m worried about. I was pretty active in the past as a driver and instructor, so I’m not new to tracking. I’m by no means the fastest but very competent. I would love to go back to CA and drive again as it’s been a long time but since I’m new to this platform I’m doing what I’ve always done, ask questions and read.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah welcome then. This is a great platform in my opinion... though I haven't been fortunate enough to own a performance oriented car until picking up a 2018.

Invite you to peruse my Street/track build thread. If have the interest and time, suggest reading straight through. However there is a table of contents with clickable hotlinks on the first post.

There is a good amount of information to be found there, that may prove helpful.

There are also many other great build threads in the Photos, video, build section and also in the general type R section.

thank you kind sir!

im in Arizona so literally keeping the car cool is all I’m worried about. I was pretty active in the past as a driver and instructor, so I’m not new to tracking. I’m by no means the fastest but very competent. I would love to go back to CA and drive again as it’s been a long time but since I’m new to this platform I’m doing what I’ve always done, ask questions and read.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Hi LoooseR,

• Vented hood
  • More open grill
  • PWR/C&R race radiator
  • Intercooler
  • HKS oil cooler
I'm curious how excluding some of these would work:

• Vented hood
  • More open grill
  • PWR/C&R race radiator
  • Intercooler
  • HKS oil cooler

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
The OP was wondering about voiding a warranty. I would have thought there would not be an issue with the radiator upgrade but an oil cooler is really going to stand out. I can hear it now, " Those oil coolers lower the oil pressure which obviously led to your brake master cylinder failing "
Sponsored