Zach717

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hello everyone, this is really my first post on a forum anywhere so we'll see how it goes. I have a 2016 Civic LX and I'm looking for some advice. I'm on a pretty tight budget since i'm only 17 but I'm really into audio and want to boost my experience in my car. Anything helps!
Sponsored

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A simple upgrade would be speakers. Crutchfield is a very handy resource for determining what will work with your car. If you can afford it, maybe upgrade your head unit! Plenty of posts on the forums about it, and the benefits are immeasureable.

Bru87tr

Speakers, powered sub, Audio Control LOC and amp for the rear speakers.

I did this for very cheap and it made a huge difference.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Since you have the older LX; you have more options than folks with the infotainment system.

Just keep that in mind when you read/hear other folks talking about the Honda DSP processing, Honda Hack, etc. I don't believe that stuff applies to your car.

You can buy a very nice double-din head unit with pre-amp outputs for an alternate amp if you want more power. Speaker upgrades are fairly simple as well.

I don't believe you have external tweeters; so you can go with a full range (not component) replacement speaker.

And make sure you order a few extra OEM (not aftermarket) green pop pins for the door panels.

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
The simplest audio upgrade is replacing the speakers, and the simplest way I've found is through Crutchfield as the instructions and harnesses are free, included in your order. Personally, I replaced all four w/ Infinity References for about $200, which improved the sound quality immensely - even when keeping the stock head unit (I'd like to replace it, but all the nice touchscreen HU's are "yuge" and partially block the center AC vents - a deal killer).

Also - if you have a Coupe, check out my walkthrough for replacing the rear deck speakers, has all the information needed.

OP
OP

Zach717

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
The simplest audio upgrade is replacing the speakers, and the simplest way I've found is through Crutchfield as the instructions and harnesses are free, included in your order. Personally, I replaced all four w/ Infinity References for about $200, which improved the sound quality immensely - even when keeping the stock head unit (I'd like to replace it, but all the nice touchscreen HU's are "yuge" and partially block the center AC vents - a deal killer).

Also - if you have a Coupe, check out my walkthrough for replacing the rear deck speakers, has all the information needed.
Thanks for the reply and recommendation! I was looking at the JBL 621's as an option paired with the JBL BassPro SL 2. It appears that the Infinity References are out of stock at the moment on the Crutchfield website. Let me know what you think!

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
Honestly I'd just stick to upgrading all four speakers. Use the subwoofer money to instead purchase a new headunit that can bass up your sound if you want to do more.

OP
OP

Zach717

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Honestly I'd just stick to upgrading all four speakers. Use the subwoofer money to instead purchase a new headunit that can bass up your sound if you want to do more.
Ok! Well if I were to do a HU upgrade I would want something that fits the aesthetic of the interior but also has the features that I want. I saw a thread on here about possibly being able to put a higher trim level head unit like one from an EX into the LX civic. I've been researching around but haven't really been able to find one for sale at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Bru87tr

I think people would be quite surprised how good just adding speakers, amp and a sub does.

Last edited by a moderator:

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
Zach, it is technically possible to put in the EX headunit, but is not the best idea. See this thread about it.

The 9" Aftermarket Head Unit mega thread in this section of the board is a good place to get all the info you ever wanted - just be sure to have an hour or two of spare time before reading it.

Personally, replacing the HU is a problem I've yet to have a good solution to, so I'm still on the stock HU, with all its punyness.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok! Well if I were to do a HU upgrade I would want something that fits the aesthetic of the interior but also has the features that I want. I saw a thread on here about possibly being able to put a higher trim level head unit like one from an EX into the LX civic. I've been researching around but haven't really been able to find one for sale at a reasonable price. Thoughts?
While replacing the stock LX head unit with an upgraded one should be a simple plug-and-play ordeal, you'll be limited overall to the sound quality and EQ modifications you do. My EX-L has the nice large touchscreen, and I simply have a 3-band adjustment for my EQ (Bass, Mids, Highs). May not be a deal-breaker for you but just something to consider.
There are kits you can buy that allow for after-market headunits to be installed (Steering Wheel control adapter, dash kit, backup/nav kit if you want those features depending on HU), and even kits that allow you to retain your stock unit but put after-market amplifiers in to power subwoofers or door speakers and have a clean signal.

It is all a factor of how much money you ultimately want to spend on this. You could get lucky and find a EX radio in a wrecked Civic at a junkyard, or find someone upgrading their car to an after-market unit and buy theirs for cheap (are our HUs VIN locked?).

Edit: Have you by chance checked this out? May be helpful to you!
Sponsored

Last edited: