Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Do you still have the stock trans and diff in your civic?
The trans is still stock, the diff is an MFactory 1.5 way plate diff. These cars benefit hugely from a good front diff. I'm not sure why the previous owner went with the 1.5 way, usually FWD cars benefit best from a 1 way.
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The trans is still stock, the diff is an MFactory 1.5 way plate diff. These cars benefit hugely from a good front diff. I'm not sure why the previous owner went with the 1.5 way, usually FWD cars benefit best from a 1 way.
If i recall correctly isnt the honda racing diff a 1.5?

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
If i recall correctly isnt the honda racing diff a 1.5?
I'm not familiar with the Honda racing diff. The reason a 1 way is usually more desirable up front is because it doesn't lock under deceleration. Any amount of lock under decel will promote the car to understeer (because you're locking the front axle which is trying to turn). 1.5 ways can still work, but they need to be tuned for minimal decel lock. Most often 1.5 ways are used in rear differentials.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the Honda racing diff. The reason a 1 way is usually more desirable up front is because it doesn't lock under deceleration. Any amount of lock under decel will promote the car to understeer (because you're locking the front axle which is trying to turn). 1.5 ways can still work, but they need to be tuned for minimal decel lock. Most often 1.5 ways are used in rear differentials.

https://hpd.honda.com/store/shop/to...ivicSiLimitedSlipDifferential_41100f23sa610m1

That makes sense, now I am just more curious as to why that's what they went with for discussion sake lol

It may be the race class it is built for though... I don't know anything when it comes to that.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I emailed silvers for their thoughts on spring rate, and they did also say higher rear spring rate would help with rotation but make for a harsh ride.

I feel good about the rates I chose, with the rv6 rear sway bar I felt I had good rotation at the track and since I daily my Si I don't need a harsh ride right now, it already is very firm.

Maybe as I go on the track more I will upgrade to higher rates, but for now I'm content.

Honda Civic 10th gen Silvers neomax double adjustable coilovers review Screenshot_20220523-132144_Gmail

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am glad the silvers runs a standard size spring in the rear that can be sourced in different stifness and length. Fortune did not offer and upgrade for the rear.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I 100% agree with their response. The beauty of adjustable suspension is just that, it's adjustability allows it to be tailored to a desired/specific use.

https://hpd.honda.com/store/shop/to...ivicSiLimitedSlipDifferential_41100f23sa610m1

That makes sense, now I am just more curious as to why that's what they went with for discussion sake lol

It may be the race class it is built for though... I don't know anything when it comes to that.
It is very interesting that they went with that. Cusco diffs are very high end diffs too. My first guess for their reasoning would be that they wanted a bit a decel lock to stabilize the car going into a corner. Decel lock helps keep the car straight under braking which some drivers find desirable.

It is a compromise because it requires the suspension to have to work harder to get the car to rotate but the racing series those cars run in (TCA/SRO) are wheel to wheel racing series and generally it's better to build a W2W car that gives the driver confidence to push harder than something that feels like it is going to snap mid corner. Very important when you're bombing into a corner with someone right next to your door haha.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I 100% agree with their response. The beauty of adjustable suspension is just that, it's adjustability allows it to be tailored to a desired/specific use.

It is very interesting that they went with that. Cusco diffs are very high end diffs too. My first guess for their reasoning would be that they wanted a bit a decel lock to stabilize the car going into a corner. Decel lock helps keep the car straight under braking which some drivers find desirable.

It is a compromise because it requires the suspension to have to work harder to get the car to rotate but the racing series those cars run in (TCA/SRO) are wheel to wheel racing series and generally it's better to build a W2W car that gives the driver confidence to push harder than something that feels like it is going to snap mid corner. Very important when you're bombing into a corner with someone right next to your door haha.
Do you know what diffs are available that fit the Si? I believ the spline count is different than the sport, I have seen wavetrac for the sport but not Si...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Also it is good to have a sponsor active I'm these threads, I like to hear from people with real world racing experience. Thanks Austin! Please keep us updated on your races you partake in this year. If you lock in the NJMP race this year or next I will certainly come out and offer support!

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Do you know what diffs are available that fit the Si? I believ the spline count is different than the sport, I have seen wavetrac for the sport but not Si...
From what I've seen you're correct, the spline count on the diff is different between the Si and non Si. I'm only aware of the HPD/Cusco diff for the Si. I'd imagine that if enough Si owners wanted to upgrade to a clutch style diff and not have to spend $2000 to do it that MFactory could be talked into making one. I'm not sure if there's any differences in the diff carriers other than the spline count.

Also it is good to have a sponsor active I'm these threads, I like to hear from people with real world racing experience. Thanks Austin! Please keep us updated on your races you partake in this year. If you lock in the NJMP race this year or next I will certainly come out and offer support!
Absolutely! I'm happy to be able to contribute to the community, and especially to those who are interested in tracking their cars. We've noticed over years that the people who are most passionate about their cars tend to be active on forums so we love being able to interact with them :)

I need to double check my calendar. I think I have something on the same weekend as the NJMP event this year. I really do want to drive that track though, I've heard so many good things about it!

Last edited:

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am liking the 10k/14k setup on my car but I also try to trail brake as little as possible. I have a GD Honda Fit that I track occasionally and got very used to trail braking that car a lot to help it rotate. Took me a couple sessions (and spins😂) at my local track with the Civic work that habit out of my driving.
Your particular setup doesn't like trail braking? Or something about the 10th gen chassis doesn't like trail braking?

Taking notes over here for the future 🤓

You bought the circuit.heart car? So I guess there was already a bunch of work done to it before you got your hands on it?

I assume if you were starting out stock you could make some methodical one-at-a-time mods to work towards controllable rotation under trail brake?

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Your particular setup doesn't like trail braking? Or something about the 10th gen chassis doesn't like trail braking?

Taking notes over here for the future 🤓

You bought the circuit.heart car? So I guess there was already a bunch of work done to it before you got your hands on it?

I assume if you were starting out stock you could make some methodical one-at-a-time mods to work towards controllable rotation under trail brake?
It is definitely specific to this car, though it would really be true for any similarly sprung 10th gen and other similar FWD cars would exhibit similar behavior. My Fit has softer spring rates all around, and the rate difference F/R is much less than the Civic so it's not as quick to rotate, which is why I trail brake in that car, also the brakes are smaller on that car so more brake is required to get the same outcome.

Also, I've been slowly making changes to the Civic, most recently I raised the rear ride height about 1" to try and get the rear roll center back into a happy place. That should hopefully help make it less snappy. At some point I plan to offer some parts to help raise the front roll center which should really wake up the front grip on the platform.

Yep, that's the one. There was some work done to it but I wouldn't say any of it is extreme by any means. Other than the front fenders being cut up and modified, the rest of the mods are pretty much bolt on parts. The suspension is just off the shelf BC coils, an Eibach rear sway bar, and the rear toe arms. We're working on some more parts but as with all things, they're taking time, especially in today.

If I were starting with a stock car, just I would work in mods slowly over time to develop the car in a scientific manner. Tossing a ton of parts on all at once almost always results in some teething issues that can result in tail chasing if problems aren't addressed properly. Even now, we only add 1-2 parts on the car at a time to help quantify gains and whether or not it is the expected desirable change.

OP
OP
Sport-injected

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It is definitely specific to this car, though it would really be true for any similarly sprung 10th gen and other similar FWD cars would exhibit similar behavior. My Fit has softer spring rates all around, and the rate difference F/R is much less than the Civic so it's not as quick to rotate, which is why I trail brake in that car, also the brakes are smaller on that car so more brake is required to get the same outcome.

Also, I've been slowly making changes to the Civic, most recently I raised the rear ride height about 1" to try and get the rear roll center back into a happy place. That should hopefully help make it less snappy. At some point I plan to offer some parts to help raise the front roll center which should really wake up the front grip on the platform.

Yep, that's the one. There was some work done to it but I wouldn't say any of it is extreme by any means. Other than the front fenders being cut up and modified, the rest of the mods are pretty much bolt on parts. The suspension is just off the shelf BC coils, an Eibach rear sway bar, and the rear toe arms. We're working on some more parts but as with all things, they're taking time, especially in today.

If I were starting with a stock car, just I would work in mods slowly over time to develop the car in a scientific manner. Tossing a ton of parts on all at once almost always results in some teething issues that can result in tail chasing if problems aren't addressed properly. Even now, we only add 1-2 parts on the car at a time to help quantify gains and whether or not it is the expected desirable change.
I also found having the rear a bit higher helped get more weight to the front. I have it 25" at the top of each wheel well arch, I think level would be .5" or so lower on the back since the rear arches are more shallow than the front. Having a little rake in the stance is an added bonus ha.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great review! I just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts as I am an big advocate for good suspension setups and a good setup makes all the difference in how a car performs on track.
Hey, I started to attempt to go into all that but decided I was getting a little over my head as all my research has been on the CT9A, which is also why I said to swap the springs without even thinking about how they're unique front to rear... FYI, that was me that PM'd you last month on EVOM about your products.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Hey, I started to attempt to go into all that but decided I was getting a little over my head as all my research has been on the CT9A, which is also why I said to swap the springs without even thinking about how they're unique front to rear... FYI, that was me that PM'd you last month on EVOM about your products.
Suspension systems can be very complex but there are good sources for making it digestible information. One of my favorite go to sites is suspensionsecrets.co.uk That site covers everything from simple to complex and has lots of good pictures to help aid in learning.

Haha it's a small world! I wish Evom was as active as this forum but when it's a 20 year old platform it's not a surprise that attendance drops on online forums. The CT9A chassis Evos have a motion ratio on the damper and spring like the Civic does on the spring but it's not as low as the Civic. But the same principal still applies. We'll always support the Evo platform because it's a personal passion for me and I'll always have mine. We got into doing Civic parts because Hondas are so prevalent at the track and these 10th gens will become popular in the future for sure, Honda did all their homework with it and the results speak for themselves with how simple yet capable these cars are.
Sponsored