First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if there is a law for clear bulbs can be used on the side markers instead of the traditional amber ones?
Sponsored

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Does anyone know if there is a law for clear bulbs can be used on the side markers instead of the traditional amber ones?
I know here in PA you can look up the vehicle code which states what it has to be. Here we are required to have 2 ambers in the front for it to pass a yearly inspection.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it legal and get clear markers with amber bulbs.

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm using clear bulbs and I haven't been pulled over for it yet. It's been almost a year. I definitely recommend it just to spruce up the looks.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm using clear bulbs and I haven't been pulled over for it yet. It's been almost a year. I definitely recommend it just to spruce up the looks.
Yeah but each state is different. I’m in Florida and I can’t find any rules or laws on using clear LED bulbs.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have been running with white 194 leds for over 10 years on 3 different cars. Never pulled over for that shit.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Boyfriend says it voids there warranty if I add the clear lenses to my car. Is that true?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The FMVSS dictates that passenger vehicles must have two amber reflectors at the front sides and two amber running lights at the front sides.

Most states either outright adopt the FMVSS or have written laws that are practically identical in requirement. You're safe to assume you need two amber lights and two amber reflectors.

In our cars, they designed the side marker to be both the amber reflector and the amber light. If you change side markers to clear or smoked, you're violating the requirement for amber reflectors even if you keep amber bulbs or LEDs.

I highly doubt anyone would ever be pulled over for this kind of violation, in many places it may not even be a primary offense (something you can be pulled over for doing) but likely something an irritated officer may cite you with in addition to the real reason you were pulled over.

There are places as stated above where the vehicle is required to undergo some kind of safety inspection where this would also be found and cited.

Changing the sidemarkers is relatively trivial and if one chose they could install OEM for inspection purposes and then install aftermarket options.

As long as you understand there is a real violation of federal and most likely local vehicle codes, you understand the risk you're taking.

===================================================================

Personally, I find the amber lights seems like a more valuable thing to have as that identifies to perpendicular traffic the direction you are facing and most likely moving, if visibility is impaired and it is otherwise difficult to tell.

I'm not sure how important amber reflectors are in reality, as your side markers should be lit if it is dark or poor visibility. I struggle to think of a scenario involving my car parked that would benefit from the reflectors being amber.

I run the Depo smoked side markers with Lasfit amber LEDs. This way I do have the amber lit sidemarkers I believe to be the most valuable and I still have a reflector (it is the same design as OEM) however it is not amber.
Sponsored