sick of ALWAYS getting an alignment - what can I upgrade to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I drive 25k+ annually. I do try not to aim directly for the holes though... That being said, I have bent plenty of cheap wheels in my time.
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
It might suck to hear but maybe you need a new subframe if replacing subframe bolts doesn't work. Having an accident with a car will make funny things happen a lot. I've had a few and known people with accidented vehicles and they never drive the same as stock most of the time.

Seems to me since the dealer had to tweak your subframe, it will retain some memory of where it was and will tend to be a lot easier to bend again in that direction. I'm just hoping the mounting points for the frame weren't damaged either. If they aren't replacing the subframe MAY fix your constant alignment issues. I live in Ontario and driver to Quebec often and the roads are disgusting and never had to re-align the car.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
It might suck to hear but maybe you need a new subframe if replacing subframe bolts doesn't work. Having an accident with a car will make funny things happen a lot. I've had a few and known people with accidented vehicles and they never drive the same as stock most of the time.

Seems to me since the dealer had to tweak your subframe, it will retain some memory of where it was and will tend to be a lot easier to bend again in that direction. I'm just hoping the mounting points for the frame weren't damaged either. If they aren't replacing the subframe MAY fix your constant alignment issues. I live in Ontario and driver to Quebec often and the roads are disgusting and never had to re-align the car.
One tech *guessed* the subframe wss bent.

I went to another shop and the tech was very informative. Actually did a diag, sorta. He said to start at the point of impact and work outwards from the weakest components then towards the strongest components.

He also stated if the subframe was bent or warped it would put caster out of spec also.

I'm thinking when the first dealership adjusted the subframe the car has an indefinite subframe misalignment in addition to possibly loose subframe bolts.

I'm going to try and put those subframe holes inserts and center the subframe then get an alignment. While I'm down there I will put in polyurethane bushings in the lower control arm.

But I need to save $$ first. Looks like it will be expensive

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
One tech *guessed* the subframe wss bent.

I went to another shop and the tech was very informative. Actually did a diag, sorta. He said to start at the point of impact and work outwards from the weakest components then towards the strongest components.

He also stated if the subframe was bent or warped it would put caster out of spec also.

I'm thinking when the first dealership adjusted the subframe the car has an indefinite subframe misalignment in addition to possibly loose subframe bolts.

I'm going to try and put those subframe holes inserts and center the subframe then get an alignment. While I'm down there I will put in polyurethane bushings in the lower control arm.

But I need to save $$ first. Looks like it will be expensive
If you have access to a lathe you can do it yourself. Poly bushings will help reduce deflection but won't help with aligment changing when driving. the only thing you add with poly bushings other than less temporary deformation while cornering is added vibration and harshness.

I do agree with the subframe bushings to prevent it from shifting though.

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you have access to a lathe you can do it yourself. Poly bushings will help reduce deflection but won't help with aligment changing when driving. the only thing you add with poly bushings other than less temporary deformation while cornering is added vibration and harshness.

I do agree with the subframe bushings to prevent it from shifting though.
do you have any idea if I had to drop the entire subframe and insert the bushings with subframe removed or can I just remove one bolt at a time enter the bushing and then reinsert the bolts?

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
This subframe removal looks like a nightmare. Has anyone here on the forms accomplish this seemingly difficult task?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
This subframe removal looks like a nightmare. Has anyone here on the forms accomplish this seemingly difficult task?
I dropped my subframe to swap my clutch. It's not that hard, actually dropping and reinstalling the subframe was by far the easiest and most enjoyable part of the clutch job.

You will not be able to get away with removing one bolt at a time. You will need to remove every bolt, lower the subframe slightly, insert the collars, then install bolts one at a time.

You're going to want to place the front of the car on jackstands, then use a floor jack at the front subframe jack point to stabilize it. Remove the front brace. Then remove the front subframe bolts in the (reverse) order the service manual specifies, then use the floor jack to lower it. Install the collars, then lift it back into place with the floor jack and reinstall the bolts in the order the service manual specifies.

The service manual only shows installation, not removal, hence reverse order for removal.

You will also have to remove the 3 ball joint nuts on each lower control arm as well as remove the outer bolt from the lower control arm bushings, which is pictured here:

Honda Civic 10th gen sick of ALWAYS getting an alignment - what can I upgrade to help? 1603747731942

Honda Civic 10th gen sick of ALWAYS getting an alignment - what can I upgrade to help? 1603747993211

Honda Civic 10th gen sick of ALWAYS getting an alignment - what can I upgrade to help? 1603748013205

Honda Civic 10th gen sick of ALWAYS getting an alignment - what can I upgrade to help? 1603747663205

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
As a side note, I'm waiting on an order from an oem site for an accord cast aluminum lower control arm. I'm going to experiment with upgrading our front stamped steel lower control arms with the accord cast aluminum arms and accord ball joints.

If it works out, I'll post a thread on it. Better ball joints and stiffer, lighter control arms would be a benefit imo.

Last edited:

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
i think you can try the spoon collars maybe they will help you better align the subframe

OP
OP
nickname

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Maybe you can use a search engine like Google next time before asking, just thinking.
Lol
Well bro since you mentioned it, I figured you'd know what it was and how it relates to the civic.
No need to get all.... you know, rude

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Lol
Well bro since you mentioned it, I figured you'd know what it was and how it relates to the civic.
No need to get all.... you know, rude
The video was a dot on the nose perfect explanation of the answer to your question.

People come here to learn and share knowledge, not to waste time rehashing the same shit over and over again.

If you have a problem with that, get off the forum.

By the way, it relates to the civic exactly the same way it relates to literally every other car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.