Si with the CVT?

muddhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Just purchased a '16 LX Sedan that I'll be giving to my daughter next year; I've enjoyed the car and am now thinking about getting the Si once I give this car to her. However I'd like to have the CVT because I do a lot of driving back/forth to work.

What do you think are the chances the Si will have the CVT as an option?

If it doesn't, I may just go with the coupe turbo CVT.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Nope, no thanks. Si has historically only been available with 6MT only with no compromise. Honda doesn't want a non purist to drive these cars and if you are a purist, you'd suck up the leg work driving back and forth anyway despite the inconvenience.

OP
OP

muddhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
A purist. Who cares. If a car has an auto and a manual option it's "tainted"? I know, I've heard it all before... "I feel connected to the car", "Manual is the only way to go for real sport driving", etc... Been there, done that, now I want convenience.

Just so you lose sleep tonight, you'll be unhappy to know we also have a '13 Mustang GT with an auto in the family.

OP
OP

muddhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
The only reason I'm considering the Si is for more power, but auto is a requirement. If they don't offer an auto, so be it.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I'm doubting it will have a CVT. I wouldn't mind shifting again. It's been a few years but you never lose the technique.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Just purchased a '16 LX Sedan that I'll be giving to my daughter next year; I've enjoyed the car and am now thinking about getting the Si once I give this car to her. However I'd like to have the CVT because I do a lot of driving back/forth to work.

What do you think are the chances the Si will have the CVT as an option?

If it doesn't, I may just go with the coupe turbo CVT.
Zero chance but, with the turbo motor unlike the NA engine, there really is no reason that Honda couldn't. The Si is more of a sporty car than something to drag race with. The CVT would widen the audience for the vehicle but, diminish special-ness of the car. It is like when Subaru decided that they wanted to offer a CVT WRX.......do you really want to be that guy who buys a CVT WRX? It takes a special limited car that is designed to engage the driver and makes it into a Minivan......Check out the Touring if you want a CVT.....it is a nice car that has plenty of get up and go.

Kind of happy Honda is only offering a manual in the Si.

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R #2314, LS Swapped FC RX-7
Country flag
A purist. Who cares. If a car has an auto and a manual option it's "tainted"? I know, I've heard it all before... "I feel connected to the car", "Manual is the only way to go for real sport driving", etc... Been there, done that, now I want convenience.

Just so you lose sleep tonight, you'll be unhappy to know we also have a '13 Mustang GT with an auto in the family.
Honda is well-known for producing/outsourcing some of the best manual transmissions for their cars. Making an Si with an auto/CVT wouldn't fit their target demographic whatsoever.

I agree with others that picking up a Sport or EX-T would be a better fit if you plan on sitting in traffic and don't plan on enjoying the driving experience.

DCT could be another story but a CVT would be pretty lame in any "performance" vehicle.

OP
OP

muddhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I understand, just seems like the Type R would be the one for the "purists" and "performance" guys.

16ExTKyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2014 Honda Accord LX
Country flag
I still don't get why everyone is still in the mindset that anything other than a manual transmission is not "sporty"...There is a reason why you don't find modern supercars with manual transmissions anymore....Paddle Shifters, CVTs, etc are faster and more efficient than a manual gearbox...regarless of your "talent".

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I just purchased a 2016 Accord coupe V6 manual transmission and it may be the most fun car I have ever driven. Honda just knows how to make a silky smooth manual and the V6 is very powerful. I plan to keep the Accord for several years and then purchase some type of Civic but as much fun as I am having with the Accord I can't wait to get a great MT in a Civic !!!!!