Si with the CVT?

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not "anti manual", I'm more "anti-douchebag claiming manuals are the only way a real car should exist". New automatic transmissions have distinct advantages over manuals, which is the reason all supercars and high performance cars are coming in automatic models now.

Also, "more involving" is definitely not the same as "better experience"
yeep they are...Go look at Porsche, Corvettes, Mustang GT and more can all be bought in AT...I have no idea why there is an argument over MT vs AT..To each there own..Geeeezzz people!!!:nono::dunno:
Sponsored

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
While I would appreciate an SI or Type R with a DSG I know it would never happen, Honda simply doesn't care for it. I certainly understand the whole manual argument and being one with the machine(I have a sport bike) but I'd like to atleast see the option even if it's another 2-3 grand.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
No. 1000x no. Why? Because the moment Honda releases an Si with the option for an auto (especially a ghastly CVT) is the first nail in the coffin of manual transmissions at Honda. Period.

There will be a time in my lifetime when no new mainstream car will be available with a manual transmission - let's not push Honda toward this armageddon any faster than they're already moving.

I couldn't care less whether the manual is a few ticks faster. I couldn't care how much more "convenient" it might be. I drive 100+ miles per every day in So Cal traffic and I'm dying to get back into a manual. It would take the loss of at least one limb for me to voluntarily choose a self-shifting car.

The number of manual-only cars on the market can be counted on one hand. I want to keep a handful of "pure" driver-oriented cars, even if that sends a few folks to something else. No offense meant, and I'm sorry if the likely fact that the Si won't come with a rubber band transmission keeps you out of the car.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
No. 1000x no. Why? Because the moment Honda releases an Si with the option for an auto (especially a ghastly CVT) is the first nail in the coffin of manual transmissions at Honda. Period.

There will be a time in my lifetime when no new mainstream car will be available with a manual transmission - let's not push Honda toward this armageddon any faster than they're already moving.

I couldn't care less whether the manual is a few ticks faster. I couldn't care how much more "convenient" it might be. I drive 100+ miles per every day in So Cal traffic and I'm dying to get back into a manual. It would take the loss of at least one limb for me to voluntarily choose a self-shifting car.

The number of manual-only cars on the market can be counted on one hand. I want to keep a handful of "pure" driver-oriented cars, even if that sends a few folks to something else. No offense meant, and I'm sorry if the likely fact that the Si won't come with a rubber band transmission keeps you out of the car.
Well said. Speaking of great manual transmissions......have you tried the Miata? Recently drove this car in both manual and automatic. Not sure who would buy an automatic Miata.....the difference in fun to drive factor is not even close. The Miata manual is a gem. I too am looking for a Manual. I can afford a far more expensive car than a Civic but, I am tired of non-engaging automatic cars. My next car is going to be fun to drive and have a manual transmission.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why should mechanical capabilities be hindered because some people feel nostalgic?
I'm not proposing any "hindering" of mechanical capabilities based on nostalgia. You're welcome to buy any of the 100s of other faster cars with only two pedals.

Part of me hopes that the CTR will have a moonroof, because I won't be buying it if it doesn't. Honestly, though, it probably shouldn't.

A good automatic is technically superior to a good manual - and I couldn't possibly care less.

A good manual will always put the driver closer to the car. Those of us who truly enjoy driving our cars (rather than simply mashing the pedal and seeing how fast it can go) lament the coming of a future where we don't have the choice to engage more closely with our vehicles. If people yell loud enough, Honda will probably give us an Si with an automatic - and if Honda ever makes that decision, it will be because they are prepared to dramatically change the dynamic of the Si. That's not just a slippery slope - that's a cliff.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
I'm not proposing any "hindering" of mechanical capabilities based on nostalgia.
But you are. The SI could mechanically be better with a modern automatic transmission, but you are adamantly against it because of the nostalgia of driving a manual.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@corbygray528 - with all due respect, what does nostalgia have to do with it?

Is it "nostalgia" to prefer to hang out with friends in person rather than text them?

There is both a quantitative and qualitative difference between driving a vehicle with a stick and one with an automatic. One can have a preference independent of any "nostalgia."

And, no, the Si would not be mechanically superior with an automatic. It might be technically superior (i.e., when measured numerically), but one could argue (as I do) that fewer mechanical parts actually results in a mechanically-superior machine.

There are amazing automatic transmissions out there, and many of them will help you go faster, save gas and drink a big gulp at the same time - but that doesn't make them "better" in any generalized way.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well said. Speaking of great manual transmissions......have you tried the Miata? Recently drove this car in both manual and automatic. Not sure who would buy an automatic Miata.....the difference in fun to drive factor is not even close. The Miata manual is a gem. I too am looking for a Manual. I can afford a far more expensive car than a Civic but, I am tired of non-engaging automatic cars. My next car is going to be fun to drive and have a manual transmission.
I haven't driven the new Miata yet - but I did try on the previous generation in both manual and auto forms. A Miata with an automatic is like french fries without ketchup.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R #2314, LS Swapped FC RX-7
Country flag

THIS.

Honda is one of the last manufacturers that still produces amazing manual transmission cars. If you want a CVT or auto just get an EX-T or another car altogether. If you really want to feel fast in your automatic Honda just get the Hondata tune and be happy with the increased horsepower. It's just really sad that people are actually asking for it in the Si (the middle-performance model).
Sponsored