Si with the CVT?

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
He's probably a forty year old keyboard warrior who has never even driven a car let alone an SI.
I'm not the one calling people names and attacking them personally, like you have in this thread.

You should think about your own behavior before calling someone else a keyboard warrior.
Sponsored

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Trolling?!? This from a guy on a Civic forums who claims to own a 2009 Ferrari Enzo. A car that does not even exist. As production for the Enzo was very short lived, 2002-2004. Yes there was the FXX Evoluzione produced in 2009. But that was even more rare than the Enzo itself which makes me even more skeptical of you. Once I noticed that a while back I started going right over your posts without reading. The only reason I happen to catch this one was that it was the last post on the page I was on.
Ferrari Enzo, throwback to the early 2000s:D

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually wished I had a CVT Type R. I really do!

All Honda would need is an 8500rpm redline. You only need 185.4lb-ft of torque for 300hp. Perfect! And the infinite gear ratios (within a set range of course) would be perfect for fuel efficiency when I wouldn't be racing. Yep....a real CVT, with the rpms hanging at 8500rpm, without the fake gear shifting. I would LOVE this!

And it'd probably be faster than the current Type R around the Nurburgring. Yep...I said it.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
If your priority is driving your car fast, then yes - a manual transmission is no longer necessary if some other combination can do as good as (or a better) job as you. We've moved past the point where any new car has a manual transmission for performance reasons.

I have no intention of ever modifying my car, nor of performing the extra maintenance that would come with those changes. I therefore welcome whatever extra HP (and especially torque) the factory can deliver. I will never take this car to the track, nor will I be driving like a moron and racing other morons at stoplights. Some people just want a reasonably-priced, reliable, practical car that is also quick, agile and engaging. That is the sweet spot the Si has always found; the fact that extra performance can be unlocked is a pleasant side effect (although many of the people hunting for a Civic to modify don't always start with the Si anyway).

As far as I'm concerned, the reputation of a model is irrelevant - it is the reputation of the manufacturer as a whole that matters. I don't buy a car because of what people think of it - I buy a car because of what it is today (which is what a test drive is for) and what it will like be tomorrow (which is what the brand's reputation helps you figure out).

The key is that I think it's clear that the addition of a CVT (or other auto-box) would represent a shift in philosophy at Honda, not only as it relates to the Si, but also to the rest of the Civic lineup and the ILX (for instance, for better or for worse, I doubt we will ever see an automatic Si as long as the ILX is based on the Civic and shares a powertrain). An Si with an automatic would eventually get toned down into an "Sport," and the Si would disappear. This is also why we probably won't see any EX-L or Touring Civics with the manual, and this is also why I still hold out hope for a 5 door Si.
Canada has the Sport Touring Hatchbacks with manual. I have one :)

xmarleyx06

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually want to know if anyone knows how difficult it is swapping my si to cvt. I want to give the car to my wife and daily something new. Any thoughts?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You just inspired me to start another thread like this. :)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want the Si with an automatic, check out the Acura ILX. The DCT in that is smooth. Now, the Acura is on the last gen platform, but I’ve driven it and minus the very light steering it’s actually pretty fun to drive decently spirited...a lot of hate on the car, but I don’t think it’s bad at all. It’s outdated, and there is no looking past that. But it does have a sporty feel to it, and it has a DCT which some people may prefer over a stick.

Also, the motor sounds great when you peg it. It’s naturally aspirated so you have to rev it to get the torque but hey, that’s old Honda anyways.

Although, I would imagine the ILX will eventually get redesigned soon and put onto the same platform as the new RDX.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Honda will probably never put an automatic in an Si because that’s part of the Si’s heritage. But even if they did, the cvt wouldn’t be able to handle the power of the Si motor for very long. They would have to go with a gear driven transmission and not a belt driven cvt.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'd also consider keeping your Si and get your wife an Accord with a 1.5T or 2.0T automatic. They're available with all the semi-autonomous drive tools that the Si doesn't get, so it might be a better driver.
Sponsored