tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I really liked the previous generation of the Yaris GRMN, 210 HP out of a supercharged I4 sending power to the front wheels. It weighed 2500 lbs. Accounting for 10% drivetrain loss 190 to the wheels for a 13.16 power to weight ratio (86 has a 16 power to weight ratio accounting for a 15% loss). The current generation gains 300 lbs but also 60HP and AWD; so it would make about 216HP to the wheels creating a power to weight ratio of 12.96, so slightly better than the previous gen with the advantage of AWD. I see this new generation as a Veloster N with a shorter wheel base and AWD :p If it were sold in the US it would probably be priced similar to the N.
Sponsored

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
So how the hell does Toyota keep the 86 down on power and never give people the turbo variant it's been begging for... keep the Celica dead... bring back a seemingly decent Supra, despite the "it's a BMW" backlash, but then decide to make possibly the lamest car in the lineup not-lame?

I mean... I think it's intriguing... but who asked for this? I guess the Japanese market... (shrug).
Soooo on point!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So how the hell does Toyota keep the 86 down on power and never give people the turbo variant it's been begging for... keep the Celica dead... bring back a seemingly decent Supra, despite the "it's a BMW" backlash, but then decide to make possibly the lamest car in the lineup not-lame?

I mean... I think it's intriguing... but who asked for this? I guess the Japanese market... (shrug).
Realistically no one asked for this, but keep in mind that Toyota uses the Yaris for rally racing. So transferring some of the R&D put into that vehicle into an outgoing Yaris might be more cost effective than creating something from scratch (Celica). The 86 might have an agreement with Subaru that no turbo model will exist (for this generation anyways, the next generation is all new stuff).

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I have never wanted a Toyota other than an earlier generation of the dead Supra...

This car if coming to the US would be my new DD.

Not sure all the negativity and hate about such an awesome little rally car. Who knows maybe Honda will respond with a Fit equivalent and until then I will be a Toyota owner...

This checks all my boxes

+ Hatchback
+ AWD
+ Manual Transmission
+ small
+ 2 door
+ Turbo Charged
+ Japanese

there is literally nothing like this little rally car available in current production on our shores. :)wave:Subaru bring back the Hatch!)

I’m praying to the automotive gods that Toyota releases this in North America.

Please
:bow::drool::bow::drool::bow:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have never wanted a Toyota other than an earlier generation of the dead Supra...

This car if coming to the US would be my new DD.

Not sure all the negativity and hate about such an awesome little rally car. Who knows maybe Honda will respond with a Fit equivalent and until then I will be a Toyota owner...

This checks all my boxes

+ Hatchback
+ AWD
+ Manual Transmission
+ small
+ 2 door
+ Turbo Charged
+ Japanese

there is literally nothing like this little rally car available in current production on our shores. :)wave:Subaru bring back the Hatch!)

I’m praying to the automotive gods that Toyota releases this in North America.

Please
:bow::drool::bow::drool::bow:
If you hold your breath for it to make it to North America... well... I’m sure you’ll start breathing again after you pass out... if it ever happens at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...d-with-four-cylinder-turbo-engine-141147.html

I might just be overly grumpy. When the Supra went away, then they axed a decent Celica to bring in the Scion brand with the Tc seeming to me like it’s successor... but with that now out of production, I’m not sure what sport compact the Toyota brand has to offer. I’m dismissive of the Corolla... and maybe that’s unfair. I have had some fun times in Celicas in the past and I though, for their time, the 90s variant was pretty decent and cross shopped a last gen GTS vs an RSX type S. The RSX won out, but the Celica was decent.
Sponsored