Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That would be the test with all seasons
The 10th gen summers do a .97 g vice the .88. That's why I opted for them as it was a $200 option... though I got them and the fact I had them sort of fell by the wayside along with the few other dealer installed options when I got it.

I know the 9ths got a summer tires option as well, though I don't recall how it affected the cars performance though it should be comparable.

A sedan with the summers showed thile following for the 10th Si...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review

Skidpad: 97g
0-60: 6.3 sec
70-0 mph: 159 ft
1/4 mile: 14.8 sec

Good tires definately make or break a car.

Different locations/altitude/weather conditions make me take acceleration w/a grain of salt. Driven hard, they're definitely close.

The 2014 and 2015 soldiered on unchanged... but had a small bump.in power and had their suspension moderately improved over the original release of the 9th gen. I'm not sure if it happened in '13 or '14... though I think it happened in '13 because '12 flopped hard right after the redesign. I know the sway bars were made thicker and the steering was adjusted to be a bit quicker. I think the springs and dampers were also changed. If you compared an earlier stock 9th gen, even new, it would not perform as well. Honda really got wrecked over the initial release of the 9th gen Si.

From this article on 2013, after the emergent redesign, the performance numbers are similar to the 10th gen Si, again, improved over the all seasons... but it seems that skidpad is still .87 on summer tires... even with the best stock suspension setup Honda released. So big win for the 10th gen with the better tires.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2013/2013-honda-civic-si-first-test/

I know my 9th was a '15 but lumbered and plowed compared to the 10th gen going through corners. It definitely didn't inspire confidence to drive it hard.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I know my 9th was a '15 but lumbered and plowed compared to the 10th gen going through corners. It definitely didn't inspire confidence to drive it hard.
And yet the road holdings are only .1 difference, even with the all seasons on the tested 10th gen, the difference should have a bigger gap. As a former owner of a 2015 Si, I know it doesn't come close to the handling of my 10th gen Si even with the all seasons I'm wearing.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And yet the road holdings are only .1 difference, even with the all seasons on the tested 10th gen, the difference should have a bigger gap. As a former owner of a 2015 Si, I know it doesn't come close to the handling of my 10th gen Si even with the all seasons I'm wearing.
Yeah... maybe it'd break loose on a 10th gen owner all of a sudden with minimal warning. As it was with my 9th, there was more body roll, the front would get plowy and a bit understeery and the tires would get noisy pretty early on. Certainly being driven hard but not to where I'd consider it being excessive for driving on the street at the appropriate place/time.

I don't feel like, with it's stock suspension and OEM summers I can drive the car so hard on the street that I can exceed the limits of the car... with what I'm comfortable driving on the street. On the 9th, I felt like I was getting close and the car was giving me unhappy feedback in how it reacted.

My '15 wasn't a bad car. I wouldn't have bought it if it were. I bought it with the idea of it being a more-modern RSX type-S and didn't realize the limitations of the K24Z7 engine when compared to the K20 to K24 conversions folks had done in previous years with the A2... and I wanted (needed) a sedan. I bought the last one they had on the lot for ~22k OTD.

It just never lived up to the memory. The 10th gen doesn't either in a way... but it's a damn good car and holds its own on it's own merits.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Hell... I think our Civic is about what an Accord was 20-25 years ago with regard to size. It is a midsize car all day long.
I've literally called the 10th Gen Civic an Accord with a Civic skin. The front end of the 17's is incredibly similar, as are the features, the ass and taillights are really the most discernable differences outside the additional options in the Accord (V6 that's being discontinued, and a 2.0L turbo option). You saw similarly during the early-mid 90's when the Civic and Accord were nearly indistinguishable.

I definitely like that they adjusted the door height from the 8th gen (not sure about 9th gen), but you couldn't comfortably hang your arm out the door with the window down. I also never liked the styling on the 9th. It's like they took all the bad styling decisions from developing the 8th gen and loaded them into the 9th. I don't miss the integrated head unit, but the split dash speedometer and opposite swinging wipers were cool things that were dropped on the X. Pretty much every other thing about the 10 is significantly better.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've literally called the 10th Gen Civic an Accord with a Civic skin. The front end of the 17's is incredibly similar, as are the features, the ass and taillights are really the most discernable differences outside the additional options in the Accord (V6 that's being discontinued, and a 2.0L turbo option). You saw similarly during the early-mid 90's when the Civic and Accord were nearly indistinguishable.

I definitely like that they adjusted the door height from the 8th gen (not sure about 9th gen), but you couldn't comfortably hang your arm out the door with the window down. I also never liked the styling on the 9th. It's like they took all the bad styling decisions from developing the 8th gen and loaded them into the 9th. I don't miss the integrated head unit, but the split dash speedometer and opposite swinging wipers were cool things that were dropped on the X. Pretty much every other thing about the 10 is significantly better.
I sat in an Accord on the showroom in November when I got the Civic and... yeah... I just felt like I was in a stretch Civic with a big trunk and a slightly more upscale interior. There was nothing about it that interested me and I didn't need the extra room.

Funny you mention the window thing. That always irked me about my 9th too.

I can only come up with a few things I liked about my 9th over the 10th... and it's few and far between. I'd have to say the engine note was a little more pleasing... though the 10th has gotten more throaty as it's gotten some time on it. The HDMI input was a feature that was interesting... though I'll admit I only used it once to test it out. If anything... the cleaner look it had, without the vents and a more aesthetically pleasing back end win me over... though I'd take an 8th over a 9th for aesthetics too.

If I could have found an 8th with the more 'classic' high revving K20 for a good deal... I would have chose it over the 9th gen... but they all commanded a premium within a 2 hour drive when I was looking. I couldn't see spending $15k or more for a 5 year old car when I could get a new one for 1/2 again the money. The cheapest I saw was still over 10k for the '06s. A far cry from the $8k I spent for my '02 type-S in '08. Of course... I probably could have turned it around with minimal loss but... stupid me. If I could go back I'd of gotten an 8th gen ~4 years ago. In that case, it's very possible I'd have made a pretty hot little NA K20 with a bunch of bolt ons and loved it besides it's crap paint job an not have checked out a 10th gen at all... so I guess it all worked out. :thumbsup:
Sponsored