Si vs Si

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
10th gen Si vs 9th gen Si. Mods listed in the beginning of the video(They are both relatively stock). I knew the 10th gen Si was faster but I was shocked how much faster it really is (shows Honda understated the 10th gen Si's numbers), it destroys the 9th gen by about a school bus length.

Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hondata had a video a while back showing a stock 2016 Civic Touring sedan crushing a 9th gen Si. Honda seriously understated the power of the 1.5 engine.

Last edited:

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I wonder how his clutch is doing....

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Heres what i miss about my 9th gen si (2013) over my 2018 si:

- VTEC sound
- The way the faux carbon fiber looked (i prefer the gloss finish it had on it)
- The shifting/clutch feel

Anyways, my 10th gen definitely feels faster, but like you said, i wouldnt have guessed this much quicker.

Also, this gen si feels a lot lighter than the 2013-15. Now the 2012s did feel pretty light though.

Deleted member

I don't think it's all that surprising. The 9th Gen Si is 3000 pounds while the 10th gen Si is 2800 pounds. The 10th gen also has more torque(192 pound feet vs 174).

Frankly the 1.5T is a better engine than the 2.4 of the 9th gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IN fairness to the 9th gen, he had a passenger, so an extra +/- 180 lbs on board. Not sure it’s quite scientific.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
IN fairness to the 9th gen, he had a passenger, so an extra +/- 180 lbs on board. Not sure it’s quite scientific.
I doubt that extra 170-190lbs of weight difference would have produced such a drastic result, it just isn't enough weight to produce almost a school bus length in gap.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I don't think it's all that surprising. The 9th Gen Si is 3000 pounds while the 10th gen Si is 2800 pounds. The 10th gen also has more torque(192 pound feet vs 174).

Frankly the 1.5T is a better engine than the 2.4 of the 9th gen.
The 1.5T it's a stronger package. Without the turbo the 1.5L is just a long stroke, low rpm, economy engine that is cheap to make . Cheaper than the 1.3L Honda has in other markets.
K engines are way more sophisticated and make real power if one bothers to use forced induction.
Not to diss our engine, just stating the truth.

Deleted member

The 1.5T it's a stronger package. Without the turbo the 1.5L is just a long stroke, low rpm, economy engine that is cheap to make . Cheaper than the 1.3L Honda has in other markets.
K engines are way more sophisticated and make real power if one bothers to use forced induction.
Not to diss our engine, just stating the truth.
No doubt you can mod the 2.4 to do some great things. Out of the box however, while producing the same amount of power the 1.5T is lighter, produces more torque, and uses way less fuel. My $0.02.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sure, in a combo with the turbo.
Thought you meant the 1.5L was better as an engine only.
But again, didn't mean to put it down. I'm amazed at the wonderful package Honda put together with this gen. Civic every time I drive my lowly LX.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 9ths only make around 165-170 whp from their 205 at the flywheel.

We're still 205 at the flywheel... though we're dynoing near 200 whp still. Take the extra power... a little less weight and a slug of torque in the low/midrange to help get it moving and it does well.

The K24 doesn't response as well to light mods... and was hurting to crack 200 whp. A downpipe and tune would get you around there... and there's something beautiful about a high revving NA 4 banger... but the K27Z7 has lost most of the magic... and revs...and exhaust Vtec of the K20A2s. An 8th gen can stay NA and still make some good power, even with a massive torque deficit in the low/midrange. Burn $7k and slap a turbo on a 9th gen and you'd have a faster car likely than any stock turbo 10th gen... but on a chassis that feel far more dated than its 3-6 year age would let on.

I was so done with my 9th gen and never really loved it like the earlier RSX type-S, I wasn't sad in the least to trade it for the 10th gen.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The 9ths only make around 165-170 whp from their 205 at the flywheel.

We're still 205 at the flywheel... though we're dynoing near 200 whp still. Take the extra power... a little less weight and a slug of torque in the low/midrange to help get it moving and it does well.

The K24 doesn't response as well to light mods... and was hurting to crack 200 whp. A downpipe and tune would get you around there... and there's something beautiful about a high revving NA 4 banger... but the K27Z7 has lost most of the magic... and revs...and exhaust Vtec of the K20A2s. An 8th gen can stay NA and still make some good power, even with a massive torque deficit in the low/midrange. Burn $7k and slap a turbo on a 9th gen and you'd have a faster car likely than any stock turbo 10th gen... but on a chassis that feel far more dated than its 3-6 year age would let on.

I was so done with my 9th gen and never really loved it like the earlier RSX type-S, I wasn't sad in the least to trade it for the 10th gen.
I miss my 2003 rsx s. I dont miss its bad input shaft bearing though.

When i see rsx's on the road nowadays, i realize just how big and fat new hondas have become.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The RSXs have aged pretty well I think.

I was actually commented to my wife just this week about how I see piles more RSXs on the road today than Hyundai Tiburons... and I used to see *piles* of those things on the road 10-15 years ago. They seemed to out number me at least 4:1 in the late 00s when I had the RSX. I generally see a RSX or two daily and sometimes go days w/o seeing a Tibby. Hell... I bet I see an Integra more often even. I guess the Tiburons mostly ended up in the junk yards and the RSXs just kept on going.

I've never owned but have test driven a 7th gen Civic and I can see where the RSX falls in with them... and yes... they're definitely more on the small light and nimble side. I think the Fit is more like what a Civic was at that time than what ours are. Hell... I think our Civic is about what an Accord was 20-25 years ago with regard to size. It is a midsize car all day long.

Other than an O2 sensor that went out and needing to try a few MTFs to get it to get it's transmission to be smooth... which I managed to nail down... mine was pretty much perfect for the 3 years and 35k miles I had it. Had I not bought it in NY where they salt the roads (though I didn't see any rust on the car and it was decent though not perfect under it) I probably would have kept it when I moved back down south.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The RSXs have aged pretty well I think.

I was actually commented to my wife just this week about how I see piles more RSXs on the road today than Hyundai Tiburons... and I used to see *piles* of those things on the road 10-15 years ago. They seemed to out number me at least 4:1 in the late 00s when I had the RSX. I generally see a RSX or two daily and sometimes go days w/o seeing a Tibby. Hell... I bet I see an Integra more often even. I guess the Tiburons mostly ended up in the junk yards and the RSXs just kept on going.

I've never owned but have test driven a 7th gen Civic and I can see where the RSX falls in with them... and yes... they're definitely more on the small light and nimble side. I think the Fit is more like what a Civic was at that time than what ours are. Hell... I think our Civic is about what an Accord was 20-25 years ago with regard to size. It is a midsize car all day long.

Other than an O2 sensor that went out and needing to try a few MTFs to get it to get it's transmission to be smooth... which I managed to nail down... mine was pretty much perfect for the 3 years and 35k miles I had it. Had I not bought it in NY where they salt the roads (though I didn't see any rust on the car and it was decent though not perfect under it) I probably would have kept it when I moved back down south.
Yeah the problem with rsx's, and all k series engines for that matter, was the manual transmissions were grindy as shit.

I went through bad trannys with both my rsx's, my 8th gen si, and my 9th gen si. It was always 2nd and/or 3rd gears that would go to shit.

I bought a 96 integra gsr in 2001 that i had for 7 years and 100k miles, and it never developed gear grinds, or failed synchros. And i beat the shit out of that car more than any car ive ever owned (i was young).

Another downside to owning a type s is that they get stolen like crazy.

Hyundai tiburons were such junk. I rarely see those anymore either. But then again, they are really old cars at this point. I dont see integras much at all these days, again because were talking about 20+ year old cars.

5th gen civics are practically non existent. And the few that i do see are so rusted out and old, theyre practically just a frame on wheels.

Id say the civics of today are about the size of the 6th and 7th gen accords. Civics have become way to big and heavy. Just compare a 95 civic coupe to a 2018 coupe.. the sheer difference in their size is profound.

We never ever would have imagined civics being as big as they are today back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

And the type r is comically big. Im not a fan at all of the looks, or the size of that thing. I mean look at a 2000 civic type r compared to this monstrosity--its like comparing an elephant to a german shepard.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the problem with rsx's, and all k series engines for that matter, was the manual transmissions were grindy as shit.

I went through bad trannys with both my rsx's, my 8th gen si, and my 9th gen si. It was always 2nd and/or 3rd gears that would go to shit.
That was really bad sport from Honda. In 2001 I decided for a Prelude vs RSX before knowing the capabilities of the K20.
Still I followed the RSX closely online and found out how Honda chose to ignore or blame the owners for the bad tranny. Popping out of third and grinding.
When I bougth my CSX I couldn't believe it came with the same problems. Couldn't believe Honda let a known problem go through to a new model.
Mine wasn't bad at all. Never grinded and popped out extremely rarely but still did the fix when Honda finally bother to admit there was a problem. Took them nine years.
Sponsored

Last edited: