Si vs GTI 0-60 and Track test

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I live in coastal Carolina. I feel like GTI's are super hyped up. I've raced 2 in my SI and beat them both. I've raced one in my Elantra Sport and wrecked his a**. They get pounded so hard around here I'm surprised GTI owners don't sit on donuts. I saw this review online and was like wow this guy just said the car wasn't great because of a lap time. He must have forgotten about the lighter car, LSD, bigger wheel base, amazing acceleration and pretty much a short shifter from factory. I didn't leave anything in the comments cause I don't acknowledge ignorance... At least on YouTube.

And honestly I'm sure you can go to a tuner and get traction control turned off completely.
As much as I like the Elantra Sport, you surely didn't race a 2015-2017 model GTI. They are substantially faster than the Sport. In all categories.
Sponsored

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
As much as I like the Elantra Sport, you surely didn't race a 2015-2017 model GTI. They are substantially faster than the Sport. In all categories.
No it wasn't a new one. Pretty sure it was the generation before. But still.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the sequence?
1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
3. Press and hold brake pedal
4. Turn traction control off and on
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on
7. Turn traction control off and on
8. Press and hold brake pedal
9. Turn traction control off and on
10. Traction control light should be solid and another light blinking

it works on my 2016 civic ex-t assuming it's the same for Si

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on

Thanks! That is hilariously complex

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on

This is the same procedure that works on most recent Honda/Acura models. It puts the VSA system into "maintenance mode" and completely disables the vehicle stability assist and traction control functions. I have verified that it works on both my '17 Ridgeline and '17 Si.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
Thanks! That is hilariously complex
For good reason, you dont want every joe blow to accidentally turn off VSA, get in a wreck and then be sued. From a litigation standpoint they can say there is no way this person accidentally disabled VSA resulting in a crash, you have to take 10 solid steps to fully defeat the VSA system.

OP
OP

Apeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic SiR, 2017 Civic Si Sedan(MSM)
Country flag
Thanks for all the info guys. This is good to know. All I'm wondering is if any other systems are affected when the car is in this maintenance mode? Is power cut? Is sport mode disabled? This "cheat code" would be a great way to extract the full capabilities of the car at the track as long as everything else but the stability/traction control systems are fully online.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
1. Turn car on
2. Parking brake off
5. Release brake pedal
6. Parking brake on

Who the hell has time to do this procedure in their Si before they go out for a drive lol. Honda should have given the Si a TCS off button. Not the power robbing crap they currently have going.

And yes. The Si does not really have a chance against the GTI performance wise. The Si engine is way to laggy and lacks power by comparison. Si is a nice chassis but the engine did not live up to what I expected.

Forcino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Who the hell has time to do this procedure in their Si before they go out for a drive lol. Honda should have given the Si a TCS off button. Not the power robbing crap they currently have going.
I agree. In the RS you hold the esc button for 5 sec to turn it off. That's enough to avoid accidentally hitting it. When I autocross the Si, I'm going to need and extra 10 minutes before I run to do that procedure and turn off the traction control

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I don't know how you're going to do that on a front-wheel-drive car with an electronic parking brake unless you do reverse donuts. ;)

And, of course, it goes without saying that this "maintenance mode" is intended for factory use only and is not intended to be used by owners. Please don't use it on public roadways where the safety of others is at risk and wear a helmet. :)

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I don't know why many are surprised here.
I get that the SI has great handling and grip but don't forget that the GTI power underrating is greater than in the Honda.
Handling the SI is better.
Acceleration the GTI is more powerful in every sense.

As another pointed out. The 1.5lt was a decision not for the enthusiast or because the SI was always a low powered car but to raise the company wide MPG averages.

CDM 98 ITR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si HFP
I don't know why many are surprised here.
I get that the SI has great handling and grip but don't forget that the GTI power underrating is greater than in the Honda.
Handling the SI is better.
Acceleration the GTI is more powerful in every sense.
Also keep in mind that for this test, they were using an SE (non-performance pack) equipped GTI with no LSD, and Bridgestone RE97AS all season tires. The Si was equipped with the summer tire option. On a tight circuit, a set of proper summer tires is usually good for a few second faster lap time. Meaning the gap the GTI had on this test could have potentially been doubled had it been wearing comparable tires as the Si (not to mention what a performance pack GTI with the diff and Golf R/S3 brakes could have done).

I'm a big, big fan of the new Si for a lot of reasons, but it's not playing in the same class as the MK7 GTI unfortunately. Not in power, nor handling IMO.

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
I'm not surprised at the results. I owned a MKV GTI (2006) for 9 years, purchased it brand new. Tracked it when a road race would come up and I would run in the middle of the pack of WRX drivers running the same mods as me. Buddy of mine had the DSg and was usually right up there with me. Mods were the basic track mods of summer performance tires, adjustable shocks and sport springs, bushings, end links, control arms, intake and all tubing up to the turbo. I knew the car and therefore could run it right on the edge of out of control on the track. The GTI is no joke on a twisty track. The problem with the GTI is reliableness. Doing suspension work on the front of those is a ridiculous pain in the ass. MKV has a horrible issue with valve deposits and a cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump which has to be checked every 30K-40K miles or you run a risk of damaging your cam. If you say you were beating old MKV GTI models then they are probably stock or the drivers don't know how to drive that car. I am sure the SI will have its own issues but I stepped away from the German cars for now because they are a pain to work on. I wish the track I used to run on around here was still around so I could compare the SI on it.
Sponsored