aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
On the Mexican highway, this morning, on the way to work. Typically, I'm going faster than everyone else but today I'm in the fast lane and I see headlights screaming up two lanes over in the slow lane. I noticed a Genesis 4.6 (don't know if there is a real name for it) but it sounded mean. Well, we get stopped at a red light, he's at the line and I'm behind him. Light changes, we both go normal-ish and at about 40 he punches it, the growl was great! I'm in 3rd gear, TSP map 2, normal mode, otherwise stock, and I punch it too. Surprisingly, I kept up relatively easily. As he approach 85 mph there is an entrance ramp and I let him keep going while I knocked off a bit. I was surprised because those cars are quick. Granted I don't know if his foot was really, really in it, but it sounded like he was on. I feel like my little 1.5T could have taken him.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
They make low 100mph and high 13s cars in the quarter mile.
Is on the range of a TSP tuned SI.

OP
OP
aighead

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sedan, like the big fancy kind.

Yeah, I looked at the specs after posting this and found them somewhat comparable, kind of surprising to me.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was kinda interested in a 4.6/early 5.0 one as a stupid cheap used-buy some years ago as they depreciate like mad. This was before the Hyundai/Genesis brand split. Their interiors had a fake rolex vibe that already looked dated and worse for wear and I ended up taking a pass... but they moved well given their hefty curb weight. I tried a few different ones and just couldn't see liking the car after having it a bit... as they just seemed to be on the worn out side of worn in even though they were in the 3-5 year old range. I might of just had bad luck and always was seeing beaters.

Off the line... being RWD, we'd do well to just hang with them... but at speed, I can definitely see it. They weren't quite as quick as what the later 8 speed 5.7 Chargers are... closer to the older 5 speeds. Very "whooshy" off the line... linear.... and smooth... but always felt like a heavy car with just enough motor to not struggle. Still pretty good to stick with a car with twice the cylinders and over 3x the displacement. You probably broke their heart when they looked back and you were still there.

OP
OP
aighead

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@charleswrivers Before I bought my Si I was looking at them too. I liked the interiors a lot but you are right on with the fake rolex vibe. I started my research, never drove one though, and there were too many people saying it was fast in a straight line but not much good in the corners, which makes sense for that kind of boat. That combined with relatively high on the budget and poor gas mileage took it off the list. It's kind of a shame (along with any Hyundai I see) that they are always contenders until I really look at them. The Genesis, though a completely stolen design from every aspect, is a slick looking ride, on all their variants.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@charleswrivers Before I bought my Si I was looking at them too. I liked the interiors a lot but you are right on with the fake rolex vibe. I started my research, never drove one though, and there were too many people saying it was fast in a straight line but not much good in the corners, which makes sense for that kind of boat. That combined with relatively high on the budget and poor gas mileage took it off the list. It's kind of a shame (along with any Hyundai I see) that they are always contenders until I really look at them. The Genesis, though a completely stolen design from every aspect, is a slick looking ride, on all their variants.
As I sometimes feel like a Chrysler 300 tries to be a fake Bentley... I almost felt like the Genesis tried to be a fake 300... and that’s a pretty modest luxury car to try and match. Maybe a double-fake Bentley is a better term. There were a few extra bells and whistles but for as much love and hate the Fiat/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler products get... I think a 300 is a more compelling choice in a lot of ways, even with a modest 5.7. One of my buddies had a SRT8 300 (has a Hellcat Charger now he still owes me a ride in) and even though that car was a few years old by the time I rode in it... I thought it was better in a lot of ways interior-wise... and I don’t care much for Fia-er... Chryslers.

The car wasn’t bad necessarily... and for a under $20k few year old V8 “luxury” sedan... on paper they’re really a compelling buy. I just couldn’t see getting one. Like a fake Rolex... they’re nice at a glance but they’re nothing to brag about. They weren’t bad... they just didn’t do anything good. There power is there but it’s nothing special. Interior... comfort... layout. At a glance, it seemed good but once you got in there... felt out the seats, touched everything in the car... man, it just left me wanting. Hyundai keeps stepping up their game. This was with a ‘10-15 range (can’t remember anymore) set of cars. Once Hyundai split out Genesis as a luxury brand and turned the sedan in a G-something or other... they may have drastically improved it. They’ve got to be at least one new generation in since I last looked. I’d be interested in checking the newer version out again for both a comparison. People have been raving about the Kia Stingers that I think Genesis has a G-car based on... so they must be doing something right.

OP
OP
aighead

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I initially sat in a new g70 or g80, I think, in 2017, and they felt really nice (though large) until I looked at the sticker that said $56k. Just looking at the website (go to "Build your whatever" this website is pretty slick to look at) for the 2021's, the designs have changed again and they still look nice. The parts that frustrated me with Hyundai or Genesis to a lesser extent was the same as several other cars I sat in or drove... Stuff just wasn't in the right place. I drove an Azera I think, and it was nice but the buttons on the center console were cheap and felt like they weren't located in a spot conducive to use. Granted, I've been mostly a Honda driver for my life but dang if it doesn't seem like Honda has the best interior layouts of any cars out there... The buttons and switches (when they exist) are in the correct and comfy places.
Sponsored