First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It always blows my mind when a car review describes the superior chassis, handling, steering, braking, seating position, etc. of the Civic, and then somehow awards first place to another car. In a presumably enthusiast focused magazine.
Sponsored

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It always blows my mind when a car review describes the superior chassis, handling, steering, braking, seating position, etc. of the Civic, and then somehow awards first place to another car. In a presumably enthusiast focused magazine.
Because the other car has leather seats and an adjustable headrest duh

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because the other car has leather seats and an adjustable headrest duh
Oh, right, of course. What was I thinking? Can't wait to see which enthusiast car Roll and Slack picks next.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GLI beats the Si by 1 point, despite the Si winning the 'Powertrain', 'Chassis', and 'Experience' categories, and the Forte winning the remaining 'Vehicle' category. I think few would argue the GLI probably has the nicest interior/most comfortable ride, and exterior looks are subjective, but I wonder if the GLI would have done as well if they hadn't used the $4,000 more expensive loaded Autobahn trim.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...si-vs-2020-kia-forte-gt-vs-2020-vw-jetta-gli/
'Scar and Jiver' magazine does it again. 'This is the best car- except it's not, we're going with ...this one instead.' A great driving car that is also immensely practical -the SI, or a reasonably comfortable and somewhat practical car - if you don't count reliability and maintenance - that is somewhat okay to drive. Sure, take that last one.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You know what guys? Who gives a flying $#@& what these car magazines say. I mean, who knows what really goes on behind the scenes in terms of these ratings. Bottom line: You and I know the Si is a great all arounder and that's what counts.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Here's why, they have a retarded scoring system:

Cause the Civic gained 1 extra point due to better handling, and the GLI gained back that 1 point due to better Interior Styling.

The Civic's fantastic stick shift gained it 1 point over the GLI's crappy shifter. The GLI gained back that point due to rear seat comfort.

It goes on and on.

Honda Civic 10th gen Si vs. Forte GT vs. GLI 020kiafortegt-vs-2020vwjettagli-results-1603740788

Apathie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI AB
Country flag
It seems like the 2017-2019 Si's 0-60 numbers have been consistently faster than the 2020 Si's.

Car & Driver has gotten a 0-60 pre-refresh (17-19 Si) of 6.3 and 6.4 seconds with the summer tires.
Here with the 2020 they got 6.6 seconds.

Motortrend got 6.6 seconds in their last test of the 2019 Si and got 6.8 seconds with the 2020 Si.

So it seems the 2020 models are about .2 second slower to 60mph. Thought the final drive ratio is supposed to make the car quicker? Maybe having to shift a little earlier is what's causing the 2020's to be slower?
shorter final drive means you have to shift to 3rd to get to 60 therefore increasing your time. It’s a bullsh** tactic by car companies to sacrifice what would be more fun because it looks better on paper for people like you who don’t know any different. Good on Honda for stepping away and delivering a better product for it.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
shorter final drive means you have to shift to 3rd to get to 60 therefore increasing your time. It’s a bullsh** tactic by car companies to sacrifice what would be more fun because it looks better on paper for people like you who don’t know any different. Good on Honda for stepping away and delivering a better product for it.
Wth are you talking about? The 17-19 Si's also need that third shift to hit 60MPH. So maybe it is you who doesn't know any different.

BTW does anybody know if the Type R needs two shifts to 60mph?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wth are you talking about? The 17-19 Si's also need that third shift to hit 60MPH. So maybe it is you who doesn't know any different.

Someone made a big deal about 0.2 sec 0-60 time differences, which is not statistically significant.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

My si doesn't need to be in 3rd to hit 60 mph :cool:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Here's something not mentioned. If you take the GLI that is actually comparable to the Si's pricepoint and not the top of the line autobahn, the interior is actually a little worse than the Civic's. The gauge cluster doesn't even have a color display or helper screen but rather an information screen thats straight out of a 2008 Jetta. The infotainment screen is actually a bit smaller than the Civic's as well I believe and the rest of the interior is pretty much same quality wise. Only advantage is the bigger more powerful 2.0 turbo engine.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's something not mentioned. If you take the GLI that is actually comparable to the Si's pricepoint and not the top of the line autobahn, the interior is actually a little worse than the Civic's. The gauge cluster doesn't even have a color display or helper screen but rather an information screen thats straight out of a 2008 Jetta. The infotainment screen is actually a bit smaller than the Civic's as well I believe and the rest of the interior is pretty much same quality wise. Only advantage is the bigger more powerful 2.0 turbo engine.
You're not really familiar with the history of C&D comparisons I see.

They do this rigging all the time, pretty much every time in fact. They'd order a 6mT Sport 3 series with no other options just to get under some price point then order the non-sport versions of the other cars.

Then they massage the numbers around to get the result they want.

The Si stops 20 feet shorter and has 0.95 vs 0.91g vs the GLI, yet the GLI is a 19 and the Si a 20? So 0.87g and 40 feet longer braking would get you an 18?

$4500 cheaper gains the Si 4 points, yet the GLI gains 4 points back cause of amenities and driver comfort? What the heck is that for, the colored interior lighting? The unsupportive seats straight from the Jetta SEL? The SUV-like driving position?

Obviously massaged to make the GLI win. They love VW for some reason. Probably it's a requirement to work there.
Sponsored

Last edited: