Si vs. Forte GT vs. GLI

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
GLI beats the Si by 1 point, despite the Si winning the 'Powertrain', 'Chassis', and 'Experience' categories, and the Forte winning the remaining 'Vehicle' category. I think few would argue the GLI probably has the nicest interior/most comfortable ride, and exterior looks are subjective, but I wonder if the GLI would have done as well if they hadn't used the $4,000 more expensive loaded Autobahn trim.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...si-vs-2020-kia-forte-gt-vs-2020-vw-jetta-gli/
Sponsored

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It seems like the 2017-2019 Si's 0-60 numbers have been consistently faster than the 2020 Si's.

Car & Driver has gotten a 0-60 pre-refresh (17-19 Si) of 6.3 and 6.4 seconds with the summer tires.
Here with the 2020 they got 6.6 seconds.

Motortrend got 6.6 seconds in their last test of the 2019 Si and got 6.8 seconds with the 2020 Si.

So it seems the 2020 models are about .2 second slower to 60mph. Thought the final drive ratio is supposed to make the car quicker? Maybe having to shift a little earlier is what's causing the 2020's to be slower?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
In the end out of the Trio Civic Si will be seen on roads for many years to come. I don't expect Kia or VW can achieve that :D

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I considered all three of these cars when I was buying my new daily driver about a year ago. I drove a Jetta at the time and liked it, so I gave the GLI a very long look. What tipped the balance to the Civic for me was a) adaptive cruise on the Civic, despite being several thousand less; b) some reliability concerns about the GLI. A year later and I love my Civic as much as the day I bought it.

That said, it looks like VW is adding adaptive cruise to the 2021 models, although it's unclear whether they will make it available with a stick, as Honda does. If that combo was available a year ago, it might have tipped the balance for me towards the GLI Autobahn, to hit that sweet spot of fun with creature comforts for extended road trips (the top value of adaptive cruise for me). The GLI is significantly better when it comes to things like infotainment (!!!) and comfort (imo), as well as raw power. Some would also say the exterior styling is better, but that is just not a priority to me either way.

I'd also concur with the review of the Kia Forte. It has a lot going for it, especially if you want to spend a little less. I wouldn't touch the DCT version, but if I was younger and poorer I would have been very happy with it in stick.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems like the 2017-2019 Si's 0-60 numbers have been consistently faster than the 2020 Si's.

Car & Driver has gotten a 0-60 pre-refresh (17-19 Si) of 6.3 and 6.4 seconds with the summer tires.

Motortrend got 6.6 seconds in their last test of the 2019 Si and got 6.8 seconds with the 2020 Si.

So it seems the 2020 models are about .2 second slower to 60mph. Thought the final drive ratio is supposed to make the car quicker? Maybe having to shift a little earlier is what's causing the 2020's to be slower?
I believe it’s because of the final drive they are slower. Instead of just shifting to 2nd, you have to shift to 3rd in the 20s to hit 60.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I though 57 mph was the maximum in second
My rev limiter is at 6900 so that’s probably why. Totally forgot about that. I read somewhere that’s why the 20s are slower to 60. But if both shift to 3rd to get there, maybe the shorter fd isn’t that great? Oh well, I like my 19’ with regular cruise control haha

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag

The 2020's aren't slower. It's just normal variation depending on many factors like tires, ambient temp, elevation, track prep etc..

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Kind of a yawn :drool::sleep:review. The final conclusion might be the same as mine - surprise! the car that's a good 15% + more expensive and is the fastest on 0-60 scored more points as a whole car. Wow.

Car@Driver is obviously a magazine supported exclusively by advertising cars, which is supported by people continuously and promptly buying new cars. So that explains idiotic statements like the civic Si, being "launched in 2017" is stylistically dated in 2020. :crazy: I'm sure it was already a bit dated in the spring of 2018. :doh:And black wheels are out of style. Just watch them disappear. Like the mini skirt. What about black tires? Are the white walls returning? What's the new black?

This kind of tired BS :bs:has been going on in car magazines for decades, on and on, and seems to never go out of style or get to the end of its cycle. I have now a vomit reflex :puke:when reading the word "dated" in these compositions again and again. I now worry about my refrigerator styling getting dated at the age of 17.

Another dud point is that the Honda 1.5T engine is "unrefined." Wow, the engine that still has the record of thermal efficiency is "unrefined. " Zero basis for this statement, based probably on interior impressions.

Btw. is the Si sound fake?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
New 2020 Si has fake sound inside the cabin which can be disabled by unplugging a wire in glovebox

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
New 2020 Si has fake sound inside the cabin which can be disabled by unplugging a wire in glovebox
I wish I had this (as long as it can be turned off). Maybe I would give more try to playing "manual" driving with the paddles. As it is, the sound of the engine is insufficient for manual shifting.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Not sure why C&D likes the GLI so much, I didn't like it very much on the test drive. You sit up high, feels like a minivan compared to the GTI or Civic. It feels big too. It looks good from some photo angles but on the street it doesn't look very good.

C&D gets to take them on track, maybe it's better there, but didn't impress at all on my test drive.

But yes, US car mags are paid advertisers - that's why they cost $1 per issue instead of $12. It's also why they like every car.
Sponsored