Si vs Focus ST - Has anyone traded to or from?

Azov237

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not sure if this will really help you or not.
My journey started in 2014 with the purchase of my first new car ever, a 2015 Fiesta ST. It was absolute romance and honestly THE best fun car that you can buy for the money. I put nearly 70k miles in the 3 years I owned it, that's how much I loved it. The interior is cheap yes, but it is a economy car. I started modding it right out of the gate. I ended up full bolt on and custom dyno tune by the time I traded it in. It was paid off and a local dealer offered me an amazing trade in and I got a Focus RS in Nitrous Blue. I never fell in love with the RS like i did with the Fiesta. I was always afraid it was going to break, this was before Ford announced the service bulletin to replace head gaskets. I put a simple etune on the RS and just ran with it. I went through several other trades and I'm now in a Type R, but i did drive the SI as well.

I feel like the SI is a closer comparison to the Fiesta ST. The weight and power align a bit better to the Fiesta. The focus does have a bit more power yes, but is also about 300lbs heavier. The torque steer isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be if you run a decent tire. It's manageable. I noticed less in the Civic, but that could be due to less torque as well. I'm not 100% sure on that. The last comparison I can give was with my Fiesta ST and it was at 300wftlbs. I will say that the honda interior has better fit and finish but the Recaros in the ford are WAY better than SI seats but the Type R seats are better than the Ford's Recaros. If you are looking for aftermarket support, I'm going to lean more with Honda. While there isn't much for the tenth gen out now, there will be more in time. The STs have now come and are going with Ford's decision to drop car sales for the US market. That means there will be less interest for people to continue to R&D on a dying platform. Space is similar and actually marginally better on the civic. the wheelbase is slightly longer especially in the rear legroom where every mm counts. Trunk/hatch space is similar.

Honestly if i was given the choice between Focus ST or Civic SI, I would choose the SI. I feel like the reliability and aftermarket support will be around much longer than the Focus/Fiesta will be....If I could buy back my Fiesta though...I would. I miss it, and super regret trading it in and I urge ANYONE to drive one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Si vs Focus ST - Has anyone traded to or from? 2017FoRS

Honda Civic 10th gen Si vs Focus ST - Has anyone traded to or from? Fist2016ToTD

SavageOrange

Raise Hell Eat Cornbread
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 BMW S100RR, 2014 Ridgeline Sport
Country flag
I'm not sure if this will really help you or not.
My journey started in 2014 with the purchase of my first new car ever, a 2015 Fiesta ST. It was absolute romance and honestly THE best fun car that you can buy for the money. I put nearly 70k miles in the 3 years I owned it, that's how much I loved it. The interior is cheap yes, but it is a economy car. I started modding it right out of the gate. I ended up full bolt on and custom dyno tune by the time I traded it in. It was paid off and a local dealer offered me an amazing trade in and I got a Focus RS in Nitrous Blue. I never fell in love with the RS like i did with the Fiesta. I was always afraid it was going to break, this was before Ford announced the service bulletin to replace head gaskets. I put a simple etune on the RS and just ran with it. I went through several other trades and I'm now in a Type R, but i did drive the SI as well.

I feel like the SI is a closer comparison to the Fiesta ST. The weight and power align a bit better to the Fiesta. The focus does have a bit more power yes, but is also about 300lbs heavier. The torque steer isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be if you run a decent tire. It's manageable. I noticed less in the Civic, but that could be due to less torque as well. I'm not 100% sure on that. The last comparison I can give was with my Fiesta ST and it was at 300wftlbs. I will say that the honda interior has better fit and finish but the Recaros in the ford are WAY better than SI seats but the Type R seats are better than the Ford's Recaros. If you are looking for aftermarket support, I'm going to lean more with Honda. While there isn't much for the tenth gen out now, there will be more in time. The STs have now come and are going with Ford's decision to drop car sales for the US market. That means there will be less interest for people to continue to R&D on a dying platform. Space is similar and actually marginally better on the civic. the wheelbase is slightly longer especially in the rear legroom where every mm counts. Trunk/hatch space is similar.

Honestly if i was given the choice between Focus ST or Civic SI, I would choose the SI. I feel like the reliability and aftermarket support will be around much longer than the Focus/Fiesta will be....If I could buy back my Fiesta though...I would. I miss it, and super regret trading it in and I urge ANYONE to drive one.

2017FoRS.jpg

Fist2016ToTD.jpg
The Fiesta is more comparable to a Fit than a Civic

I enjoyed my Focus ST (ST 3 package), but the torque steer is way more noticeable (regardless of tires) IMO. Recaro's also aren't stock on the ST (that's another package).

Now I may be slightly biased as I've owned an Si before (as well as 2 other Civics), but the Focus ST just isn't as good as an Si.

Aftermarket support has always been, and will continue to be, around for Civics.

I'm not knocking the STs, they are fun cars. I'd just rather be in a Honda

Last edited:

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just saw this thread pop up on the top of the main page again. So here I am.
I just went through a bunch of test drives with the GF while she was looking and one was a focus ST.
- On a quick drive I noticed ALOT of torque steer. (Winter tires) but got damn did that car love to full send and sound great doing it!
- being in Edmonton Alberta that heated steering wheel was enough to have me thinking of ways I could get one for myself.
(How has honda not caught on to the want for one?) Shit hyundai has it on almost all trims up here.
- not a major concern for me personally (having owned an 08 accord exl w. Nav.) The focus has a very busy interior.

Biggest thing for me was the lumbar support in the ST! I wish my SI had one. Fuck me running for 31k I think it should be there. I labor for a living and could sure as shit use it after a 12 hr shift.

Basically. If I had have driven the ST before SI I'd most likely be driving it now and on a Ford fourm doing the opposite comparison.

However I love my coupe.

But! if the i30n was here I would not hesitate ditching the SI for it.

GF went for a 2017 GTI With autobahn package. She said it just felt right compared to the others.
Sponsored