Si turbo on non-Si

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess what this is? Read your title, then look at the graph.

This is why I have been looking for an Si turbocharger. I don't have to compromise on power because there are gains on both the lowend AND the topend. And the topend doesn't fall off like the non-Si. This is why I don't want a 27Won or PRL. They are a compromise with a larger gain up top with large losses on the bottom. I'll have gains everywhere. An no losses! No compromises! For 1/4th the price of new 27Won. :)

This is all for now. I just like to throw out teasers. :p
Si Turbo vs Non-Si Turbo.jpg
Just a little update!

I have the Si turbo and Si turbo inlet installed. I have the blessing from @D-RobIMW to drive around like this. I didn't think it would be a problem anyways since the only difference between the two turbos is the 9 blade vs 11 blade hot side. The computer should be able to adjust accordingly for the time being. However, I am waiting on the ok to test this setup in the 1/4 mile with my current custom tune. If given the ok, I'll do some runs with my current setup then retest again after getting another custom tune. I don't expect much change with a new custom tune but every little bit helps. I have an appointment for a 'street tune' session on Sept 18th.

If given the ok and the Dorian hurricane stays offshore this weekend and don't dump rain on the tracks, I'll do some testing to see how things are. I'll be picking the car up late tomorrow. BTW: I never do a 'how the car feels' post because I always seem to be wrong in my assessment of that. So...I'll test at the track and let the 1/4 mile time speak for themselves. That's all for now. :thumbsup:

Special thanks to @xjoshuax89 and our race on 8/24/19. Racing him with his 27Won and Flex Fuel convinced me to get moving on this ASAP. So, I jumped on getting this installed 2 days afterwards. :rofl:

Personal Note **Disregard**
Hoping this modification will get me between a 13.19@108mph to 13.35@107mph
Sponsored

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the Si turbo curious to see if the cvt longevity will take a hit. I pulled the trigger on the 27won as it puts less stress on the trans down low which should in theory help.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Computed horsepower from Civic Si 10.3 compression ratio going to 10.6 compresion ratio goes up from 205hp to 207hp (a 1% change). From HERE!

So.....since the Si already is running higher boost than my car stock and the larger turbo, raising my boost pressure with the Si turbo should get me to 207hp with no other changes.
So, I am going to guesstimate going from 174hp to 207hp after raising my boost and adding the Si turbocharger, we should be around +33hp

^^Just doing my homework and playing with numbers to see if things make sense and are matching up. Funny this is right in line with the Dyno number delta difference of +32hp. Nothing to see here folks. Carry on! Just posting this so I can reference it for later.

I was thinking about some 'Myxal Math' last night and was thinking again about the 'restrictive' blades on the hot side of the turbo. Let's say for instance that since the car makes 174hp and is pushing at the turbo hot side that if there were no blades that there would be no restriction. How much of a 'restriction' would each of the 11 turbo hot side blades account for. 174/11 (blades) = Each blade would be responsible for 15.8hp a piece. So let say that by removal of a blade, you can theoretically increase horsepower by 15.8 per blade removed, how much hp would removing 2 of the 11 blades equal (15.8 X 2 = +32hp). :D I'm just goofing off. Nothing going on in this forum these days anyways. :bump:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking about some 'Myxal Math' last night and was thinking again about the 'restrictive' blades on the hot side of the turbo. Let's say for instance that since the car makes 174hp and is pushing at the turbo hot side that if there were no blades that there would be no restriction. How much of a 'restriction' would each of the 11 turbo hot side blades account for. 174/11 (blades) = Each blade would be responsible for 15.8hp a piece. So let say that by removal of a blade, you can theoretically increase horsepower by 15.8 per blade removed, how much hp would removing 2 of the 11 blades equal (15.8 X 2 = +32hp). :D I'm just goofing off. Nothing going on in this forum these days anyways. :bump:
Remove all blades for max POWAAAA!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a couple runs today to test out the Si Turbo and Si Turbo Inlet. Making baby steps but the car is a little quicker. And low-midrange drivability is much improved. Will have car tuned for the Si turbo two weeks from now. I don't expect much from the new tune but perhaps some cleaning up of anything that may be off. Kinda like defragmenting your computer. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Si turbo on non-Si New Times

Last edited:
OP
OP
r.camlin

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Only 1/10th of a second off from that 13.3. MMMmmmmm! It's coming! :hmm::lol:
Hey @Myx how's it goin with si turbo? How much boost are you running?
have any custom tune? have you dyno.d yet? would be very much interested as I am goin to install si turbo as well.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey @Myx how's it goin with si turbo? How much boost are you running?
have any custom tune? have you dyno.d yet? would be very much interested as I am goin to install si turbo as well.
No issues with the turbo. Car runs the same as it did with the stock turbo.

I am running a max boost of 23psi. I have to really look through the datalogs to see it hit this boost peak. It typically stays in the 22psi range.

I have not had this car on the dyno. There were issues with the CVT putting the car in limp mode when I tried to have it dynod. I did have it 'street tuned ' by Drob at Innovative Motorsports, where he'd have his laptop hooked up with him in the passenger seat and I'd be driving. No custom tune was needed. The car drove just fine without it but I wanted to get all the extra horsepower I could out of it.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
No issues with the turbo. Car runs the same as it did with the stock turbo.

I am running a max boost of 23psi. I have to really look through the datalogs to see it hit this boost peak. It typically stays in the 22psi range.

I have not had this car on the dyno. There were issues with the CVT putting the car in limp mode when I tried to have it dynod. I did have it 'street tuned ' by Drob at Innovative Motorsports, where he'd have his laptop hooked up with him in the passenger seat and I'd be driving. No custom tune was needed. The car drove just fine without it but I wanted to get all the extra horsepower I could out of it.
Did it run ok using the tune from the non SI turbo while using the SI OEM turbo?

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
Is this Drop-in – Bolt-on installation, no modifications necessary ?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did it run ok using the tune from the non SI turbo while using the SI OEM turbo?
Yes, it ran perfectly fine using the tune from the Non-Si turbo while using the Si OEM turbo. No issues!

Is this Drop-in – Bolt-on installation, no modifications necessary ?
No modifications were necessary.

RiGalFK7

First Name
Rigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX-L 2018
Country flag
Hi guys, is the SI inlet needed or the stock one will work?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys, is the SI inlet needed or the stock one will work?
My understanding is that the stock turbo inlet pipe is just fine.
Sponsored