Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you keep it basic like gasket matching and cleaning up inside the turbine , you can do it yourself.Like this .
Any machine shop with a cnc mill could mill a radius in the compressor side.Or much like the intake valve jobs ,mill 3 angles on a regular mill and then blend them in yourself with a dremel.
I would first look if its possible to mill a radius in there (if there's enough room) .You need to measure the ID of the inlet pipe and keep that as your max OD for the compressor inlet radius.
Sponsored

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you keep it basic like gasket matching and cleaning up inside the turbine , you can do it yourself.Like this .
Any machine shop with a cnc mill could mill a radius in the compressor side.Or much like the intake valve jobs ,mill 3 angles on a regular mill and then blend them in yourself with a dremel.
I would first look if its possible to mill a radius in there (if there's enough room) .You need to measure the ID of the inlet pipe and keep that as your max OD for the compressor inlet radius.
Thanks for the video. So in your opinion, who is good at doing this kind of work? I don't want to go with any machine shop. Rather go with someone who has a lot of experience with this.

I've looked around locally and haven't really found anyone that specifically does turbo porting (In Delaware). I'm considering going with BustedFingerMotorsports. Would have to ship my turbo out to them though. For $125, the price doesn't seem too ridiculous. I don't know what is average/normal pricing for this kind of work.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the video. So in your opinion, who is good at doing this kind of work? I don't want to go with any machine shop. Rather go with someone who has a lot of experience with this.

I've looked around locally and haven't really found anyone that specifically does turbo porting (In Delaware). I'm considering going with BustedFingerMotorsports. Would have to ship my turbo out to them though. For $125, the price doesn't seem too ridiculous. I don't know what is average/normal pricing for this kind of work.
It isn't much work at al so that $125 seems to be fair yes .Only thing i don't like about bustedfingermotorsports is his 'knife edging' for the turbo inlets.Would rather do a radius on it.
I only have 1 builder /honda guy i trust 100% and he's in forth worth texas currently doing his new K-series heads. (Larry from Endyn)
I don't think he's got time to port a turbo (unless you're good friend) ,but his (old) fingers do magic with a hand porting tool.Anyway ,you could always ask him if he does it its always good.He did my old D-series head and oil pump 10 years ago and always answered any questions i had about anything.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe that the only way that Honda could possibly achieve their calculated CR (which is absurdly high when you do the math) in combination with the boost these turbos pump out is to severely retard ignition timing.
Kind of right... but remember our cars have direct injection. This is one of the reasons our cars can have high CRs and high (compared to my old Z's) levels of boost pressure. A high CR is proportional to having higher thermal efficiencies... that efficiency helps automakers hit CAFE requirements and sell fuel efficient cars. They could have run less boost on a car with a larger turbo as well and gotten the same airflow and peak power... but they would have greatly sacrificed on low end power. Instead, they have that little TD025 running it's little heart out up top but able to spool quick down low.

If you read how K.cont works though... you're right, we always have a certain level of ignition retard in place. It never reaches zero... it adjusts itself dynamically up and down to a minimum value as is needed to prevent knock. That's one of the reasons why ethanol nets so much power... it frees up a great deal of room to advance timing.

Had Honda gone with a lower CR, we'd probably have a good deal more room to advance timing on pump gas for power... but we'd of lost a mpg or two. Ever unit of CR only changes thermal efficiency a few percent... but every little bit counts. Cars are only going to go up. There's been noise on higher octane fuels being offered eventually... and these variable compression engines that Mazda and Nissan have been working on I think have been designed to go as high as 14:1. It's all chasing higher thermal efficiencies.

who is good at doing this kind of work?
I can't for the life of me remember what vendor offered it... but there was someone who marketed sending your stock turbo off to have a fella machine it. Gains were there... though somewhat minimal and the price was in the $500 range if memory serves. I thought it was TSP or PRL but I didn't see it on their page anymore. I think it may have died once inexpensive turbos that offered decent gains became available.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Doing this on a stock turbo will lessen the durability

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si turbo inlet pipe arrived today. I took some measurements and this is what I came up with.

Si Turbo Inlet Pipe Inlet: 55.90mm (2.20")
Si Turbo Inlet Pipe Outlet (To Turbo): 47.41mm (1.87")
Si Turbo Inlet (from Turbo Inlet Pipe): 48mm (1.89").

So being though the turbo intake compressor diameter is slightly larger that the outlet of the turbo inlet pipe, I will not be making any plans to port it out. The turbo inlet pipe's outlet to the turbo doesn't appear to be able to be opened up to match the turbo's inlet. It would interfere with the gasket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Si turbo on non-Si 20190722_185701

Honda Civic 10th gen Si turbo on non-Si 20190722_190133

Last edited:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Couldn't hit the track tonight due to rain. So while it's pouring down rain outside, figured I may as well gold wrap the Si Turbo Inlet Pipe some. It's a lot easier to do it while it's not installed on the car. I'll put some finishing touches on it as the week goes on.

Why am I doing this? :hmm: Because I CAN. **Rock Guitar sounds in the background** :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Si turbo on non-Si Gold Wrap 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Si turbo on non-Si Gold Wrap 2

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Si Turbo Inlet Pipe Outlet (To Turbo): 47.41mm (1.87")
I have a spare stock 1.5t inlet here ,and i measured the inlet pipe outlet with a digital caliper and it measures 48mm even 48,5mm at one place.Seems to be not perfectly round.So the Si and non si have the same turbo inlet size.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a spare stock 1.5t inlet here ,and i measured the inlet pipe outlet with a digital caliper and it measures 48mm even 48,5mm at one place.Seems to be not perfectly round.So the Si and non si have the same turbo inlet size.
I used a digital caliper as well. I notice a small variance depending on how much I'd open up the caliper inside the opening. I could simply let it barely touch to making sure it was firmly opened up and there was a small difference in the reading. So I tried to do an 'in-between' opening of the caliper to get a reading. Yeah, even using that wasn't perfect. Maybe I have a cheap one.

OP
OP
r.camlin

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I used a digital caliper as well. I notice a small variance depending on how much I'd open up the caliper inside the opening. I could simply let it barely touch to making sure it was firmly opened up and there was a small difference in the reading. So I tried to do an 'in-between' opening of the caliper to get a reading. Yeah, even using that wasn't perfect. Maybe I have a cheap one.
Lol somebody send me one and I'll give you exact measurements down to 0.0001"

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol somebody send me one and I'll give you exact measurements down to 0.0001"
Consider Hondanickx's measurement as correct. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :p
Sponsored

Last edited: