PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is it just me or does this transmission kind of suck? Yes, the car shifts smoothly when it wants to but my 2004 Lancer with 160K miles felt better in terms of shifting than my brand new Si Lol. My car has 1600 Miles. I broke the car in fine, the first 500-600 miles. But when I upshift, I feel that it's notchy and at times it locks me out when going into 1st and reverse. I've read that people have the same problem with the 1st and reverse lockout but what about the notchy upshifts? I'm 1000000% sure the clutch is fully pressed when I upshift. I feel it most when going into 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Occasionally, I can get a smooth shift but like 80% of the time, it feels notchy. It's not a grind feel though. Hope I'm making sense. I can even feel it when I'm parked, the car is on, clutch is pressed all the way down, and I'm going through the gears. It's not as smooth as I'm used to on other cars. Especially 6th and reverse. Is anyone else experiencing this or should I get it checked out?
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
A lot of people including myself have had the lockout issue when the car was new but after 6000 miles the problem went away. There are threads on the issue and people have said it's a lot better after changing the transmission fluid for Amsoil.

As for improving the shifter feel there are Acuity products for that.

OP
OP
PdxJose

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A lot of people including myself have had the lockout issue when the car was new but after 6000 miles the problem went away. There are threads on the issue and people have said it's a lot better after changing the transmission fluid for Amsoil.

As for improving the shifter feel there are Acuity products for that.

Gotcha, good to know that changing the transmission fluid helps the problem.
I know that acuity has really good products but will that really help the notch feel? I’m currently waiting on a short throw adapter and shifter rocker to arrive in the mail but idk if that will fix the problem. If it does, I’d be super happy. I’ll update this when I install those two and see if it fixes anything.

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
Never had a lockout with a manual so I cannot address your issue.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The Acuity base bushings and the cable bushings made a huge difference for me in terms of smoothness, but I've seen a lot of people fully replace the shift assembly for Acuity's assembly or the CTR one.

I'm ~2500 miles in and my main issue right now is that occasionally (like once every 2 weeks or so), I'd get locked out of 3rd and there is a loud grinding sound. The clutch is fully depressed, and I have to release it and press it again to get into 3rd. I'll be replacing my engine and transmission oil once I hit 5000 miles, and I'm hoping that solves the issue.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Never had a lockout issue. Check the plunger on the CSC and make sure it's properly adjusted. I read few posts where it was not adjusted properly from factory.

About notchy shifts some people like that as it gives accuracy and precision feel. My friends 8th gen Si with stock shifter felt rubbery/spongy and my SI feels precise in terms of shift quality

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’ve experienced all of the issues you listed, but Honda manual transmissions are still extremely good.

1st gear lockout when coming to a stop does not occur as often anymore. I’m at 44k miles on my 2017 Si.

I feel that double clutching any time you need to downshift into 1st gear from a slow roll helps a lot.

I think the transmission just needs a good 30-50k miles of break-in. That or you just get use to it by then.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I feel that double clutching any time you need to downshift into 1st gear from a slow roll helps a lot.
You double clutch into first? Don't think I've ever bothered to go into first to slow down.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You double clutch into first? Don't think I've ever bothered to go into first to slow down.
It is rare if I do. Like if the cars start rolling when before i come to a complete stop at a light. Or like under 7-9 mph B2b traffic. Or if i stop at a stop sign after putting it in neutral, i’ll make sure to release the pedal before putting it in first to get going again.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
As long as you aren't grinding, I say keep racking up the miles and see if it improves. I feel like mine has lost some of the notchy feel that it had during the first couple thousand miles - I'm at 4500 now and it feels great! I've owned a number of manual cars over the years and so far I've been very impressed with transmission in the Si. It's extremely rewarding when nailing the perfect shifts. Never any lockouts in 1st/R in the civic but my vette does it from time to time. I've had other cars in the past that have done it too. Pumping the clutch and trying it again always fixes it.

I say keep on driving it and see how it feels after a few more thousand miles. Worst case, take it in to the dealership and ask if they can take a look. You might also try and test drive another one like yours to compare with.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I had a lot of difficulty shifting in various conditions and assumed it was characteristic of the transmission.

When I replaced my clutch, I found evidence it was not assembled properly leading to the clutch not appropriately disengaging.

After installing a new clutch and ensuring I lubricated everything correctly, it disengages as it should and shifting is significantly easier 100% of the time.

On the OEM clutch, it was damn near impossible to downshift from 3->2 no matter if I revmatched, double clutched, or both.

Now that I've fixed the problem, I can downshift 3->2 in 20 degree weather with the car not up to temp without an issue. In fact, all cold weather shifting is a piece of cake.

Previously, if it was ~20 and the car was not up to temp yet it was almost impossible to shift any gear to any gear. I'd have to drive super slow and take 3-4 seconds to make each shift.

Edit: if there's ever a meet somewhere in Oregon we can both make it to, you should take mine around the block and see if I've fixed the problems you're talking about.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a lot of difficulty shifting in various conditions and assumed it was characteristic of the transmission.

When I replaced my clutch, I found evidence it was not assembled properly leading to the clutch not appropriately disengaging.

After installing a new clutch and ensuring I lubricated everything correctly, it disengages as it should and shifting is significantly easier 100% of the time.

On the OEM clutch, it was damn near impossible to downshift from 3->2 no matter if I revmatched, double clutched, or both.

Now that I've fixed the problem, I can downshift 3->2 in 20 degree weather with the car not up to temp without an issue. In fact, all cold weather shifting is a piece of cake.

Previously, if it was ~20 and the car was not up to temp yet it was almost impossible to shift any gear to any gear. I'd have to drive super slow and take 3-4 seconds to make each shift.
That’s shitty dude. sorry you had to experience that in a Honda. Did the dealer help you out at all?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
That’s shitty dude. sorry you had to experience that in a Honda. Did the dealer help you out at all?
I never took it to the dealer. I never had any idea there was an issue with the clutch like that. I'm the guy that installed TSP stage 1 and had it slip immediately.

I just got the ACT kit as soon as it launched and replaced it myself. I'm not really sure what the dealership could have done in this situation anyway, I didn't have evidence until after I swapped the clutches and had the OEM one out.

I'm pretty sure my complete lack of lubricant on the clutch/input shaft causing it to fail to disengage correctly is why the clutch was compromised/slipped instantly when I tuned it.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I never took it to the dealer. I never had any idea there was an issue with the clutch like that. I'm the guy that installed TSP stage 1 and had it slip immediately.

I just got the ACT kit as soon as it launched and replaced it myself. I'm not really sure what the dealership could have done in this situation anyway, I didn't have evidence until after I swapped the clutches and had the OEM one out.
once you dug into it yourself, it was too late. Dealer wouldn’t have touched it. I feel like the Alliston plant had some serious QC slips in 2018. Hopefully some people got canned.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
once you dug into it yourself, it was too late. Dealer wouldn’t have touched it. I feel like the Alliston plant had some serious QC slips in 2018. Hopefully some people got canned.
It's all a moot point anyway, the car is better than OEM now and I get to go HAM in TSP stage 1 map 3 all day long.

It's hard to ignore how the service manual says, to the tenth of a gram, how much grease needs to be applied and I found literally none on the input shaft and the splines of the clutch disc.
Sponsored