SI transmission in a Sport hatch project

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
as a sport hatch owner, this is a very interesting topic to follow.

i really do hope all goes well with you shadowfighter
Sponsored

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
How was the weekend and last week?

Any progress?!

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180830_202802

Si half shaft came in. It seems to fit to passenger side sport cv axle. so if you wanted to save money I don't think you would need the passenger side si cv axle.

Since I all ready have the passenger side si cv axle and its a different part number then the sport I'm going to run it.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180830_180805

Filled the transmission mount with 3m window weld. I'm thinking about doing the passenger side mount as well since I have some window weld leftover.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180830_161633
Flywheel and clutch went in. I bought a flywheel holding tool but it doesn't work with my flywheel so I ended up using torque sticks. I didn't want to but oh well guess I will find out later if that was a bad idea.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180830_180717
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180830_180704
Transmission went in.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180901_205252

Filled the passenger side mount with 3m window weld. I forgot to take a picture before reinstalling lol.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180902_024158
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180902_025128

Its all back together. It goes in to gear when running and moves forword/backward. Sadly I didn't have time to take it for a test drive.

The type r front sway bar fit great. Not sure if the sport end links will hold up with the extra stress from the type r bar. If they don't I will let you guys know.

I found my clutch alignment tool in the Honda bag that had my 2 quarts of transmission fluid.:doh:

I ordered a 27won turbo. I won't install it tell the clutch is broken in.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I put 50 miles on it today. No problems. Just getting used to the new clutch engagement and trying to drive it easy is the only difficulties I'm having at the moment.

I found some curvy roads and tested out the type r front sway bar. I freaking love it! Front end feels great.

Current suspension mods are Ultra racing strut bar, type r sub frame brace, Si springs and Progress rear sway bar.

I now feel like it needs a stiffer rear sway bar so I think I will pick up a Whiteline bar at some point.

I need to get a alignment done soon and I plan on doing a dyno run before upgrading the turbo so I can post up before and after gains.

Thanks a lot for the support guys its been a really fun project!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
This is a sick build! This definitely makes your car one of a kind and i'm sure the benefits will speak for itself. Hopefully it all holds up well, congrats on finally finishing it.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got the alignment done. Unexpected bonus. They fixed my steering wheel. It was angled to the left when driving straight. I was going to pull the steering wheel off and realign it but no need to now.

250 miles so far. The clutch pedal engages really close to the floor now and I'm not sure if I like that. I might end up playing with the clutch pedal adjustment to get it to engage further up.

Picked up a RV6 downpipe combo and I'm debating if I want to spend the money on a PRL race maf upgrade(I have the street maf). I want to get all the power mods done before the custom tune since it costs so much.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180905_190828

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just an FYI, you HAVE to get a tune to use the prl race intake

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
As long as you installed the rack back on the shaft the same position it came off, what the alignment did is fine, now if you didnt... youre gonna have to fix it...

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As long as you installed the rack back on the shaft the same position it came off, what the alignment did is fine, now if you didnt... youre gonna have to fix it...
I didn't get the rack/shaft in the same position that it came off. (I should have done a better job of making sure they got back together correctly but I dropped the ball on this one)

I talked to the Honda dealer about it today. They said I just need to have the steering position sensors recalibrated and it should be fine. Cost $75 to have them do it. I was kind of surprised no one asked me why I dropped the subframe lol.

Thank you FK7Hatch. I don't think I would have got this fixed if you hadn't said something.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
20180822_150427.jpg

Dropped the flywheel off to get resurfaced.
I think you are the first in the community to successfully resurface the Si's DMF. It was an open question I had on whether it was permissible (as it was in the Mazda community under light to moderate wear).

Can you elaborate more on the approach that was taken?

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you are the first in the community to successfully resurface the Si's DMF. It was an open question I had on whether it was permissible (as it was in the Mazda community under light to moderate wear).

Can you elaborate more on the approach that was taken?
I had to call around to find a machine shop that could resurface a duel mass flywheel. All the shops I called before this one couldn't do it.

All I know is they took .008 off of it, they charged me $100 and I was able to pick it up the next day. I just dropped it off and picked it up. They didn't let me see the machine they used or let me watch them do it.

I could give you there number if you want to call and ask for more details.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like they just gave your flywheel a quick scuff for bedding purposes. I'm subscribed so I'll be interested to hear how things hold up as the miles accumulate. (I'm sure it will be fine.)
Sponsored