OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
Stiffer front sway bar? I always thought that would change the handling balance towards understeer?

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Anti-Roll-Bars-How-to-choose-the-right-sway-bar-for-your-car
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...s-of-sway-bar-stiffness-on-rough-uneven-roads

Quick links from google, but they all seem to be mostly unanimous that a stiffer front sway bar would increase understeer.

The other stuff you are doing does seem interesting, what improvements do you expect with the SI gearbox?

just my 2 cents
I decided to go with a bigger front sway bar because I want to run a 22mm rear sway bar and I hope that it will keep things neutral. I also felt like it would be a waste to not upgrade it since I pulled the subframe.

SI gear box was for the limited slip differential. I came from a 2012 SI and I didn't realize how helpful it was tell I got my sport hatch.
Sponsored

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
I decided to go with a bigger front sway bar because I want to run a 22mm rear sway bar and I hope that it will keep things neutral. I also felt like it would be a waste to not upgrade it since I pulled the subframe.

SI gear box was for the limited slip differential. I came from a 2012 SI and I didn't realize how helpful it was tell I got my sport hatch.

Hmm, thought our Si trans was new for 17’s + if this is the case you may have the TypeR transmission essentially it will be interesting to see what happens upon install of your clutch and flywheel setup... The way I came upon this was the “2nd gear crunch” that plagues older Si’s went away on 10th gens, however it remains in the TypeR and my research yeilded that Was the reason! I hope I’m wrong as this is all costing you a lot! Please let us know and have you ran and cross referenced part numbers?

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
His trans is from a 17+ Si his last car was a 2012 Si that he is comparing the hatch to.

Keep at it bud I'm cheering you on and keeping an eye out for a decent price on a crashed Si to pull parts off for myself

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
His trans is from a 17+ Si his last car was a 2012 Si that he is comparing the hatch to.

Keep at it bud I'm cheering you on and keeping an eye out for a decent price on a crashed Si to pull parts off for myself

Ahh, i re-read and see that now:) You have lifted a concerned look from my brow with that response:)

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_182626
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_182725
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_182749
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_182932
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_183012
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_183147
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_183257

Tried to get you guys some better pics of the transmissions. The one with blue writing on it is the si transmission.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_181212
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180822_181233

Cv axles came in. I didn't realize the passenger side didn't come with the Shaft Assembly. So I think you might not need the passenger side si cv axle but sadly the shaft assembly costs more then the cv axle.

I also lost my clutch alignment tool so I need to find a new one :(

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Assuming the transmission is the entire transaxle, is LSD built in to the SI unit?
What's your daily driver with this a project?

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Assuming the transmission is the entire transaxle, is LSD built in to the SI unit?
What's your daily driver with this a project?
Yes it is built in to the SI unit.

I'm driving my wife's 17 Ridgeline. I work nights and she works days so sharing one car is not to big of a deal.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
? On flywheel, are you using a single mass with the Si trans? I ask as our dual mass for si can not be resurfaced properly...

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
? On flywheel, are you using a single mass with the Si trans? I ask as our dual mass for si can not be resurfaced properly...
The oem dual mass. I hope it works because if it doesn't I'm not sure what I will do. I have tried putting this fx350 in before and it failed to work. Wouldn't go in to gear when running.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The oem dual mass. I hope it works because if it doesn't I'm not sure what I will do. I have tried putting this fx350 in before and it failed to work. Wouldn't go in to gear when running.
That’s due to the FX350 needing clearance on the trans, eman has complained about it in the past, it’s just some clearancing on the housing from what I understand! In all honesty the only reason I bought the Si Over my desired Sonic Hatchback sport was the LsD as I do track my car! I have dealt with swaps like this in the past and it’s never straight forward:/ I’m in your corner and pulling for you, but the CV’s, I didn’t think about the shaft for passenger side as you hit, flywheel and clutch are all issues that present themselves:(. There are several aftermarket options for lightweight single mass flywheels now but I’m sure your budget is completely blown away from the CV’s and shaft now:(. You got this man just wish it was easier going for you! Thanks for documenting your endeavor though!!!

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
20180822_181212.jpg
20180822_181233.jpg

Cv axles came in. I didn't realize the passenger side didn't come with the Shaft Assembly. So I think you might not need the passenger side si cv axle but sadly the shaft assembly costs more then the cv axle.

I also lost my clutch alignment tool so I need to find a new one :(
Looks like the SI axles are bigger... makes since... so either you will now have to replace the hubs aswell... or see if you can make a franken axle from those two... super messy... or get a custom axle made that attaches the two ends...

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like the SI axles are bigger... makes since... so either you will now have to replace the hubs aswell... or see if you can make a franken axle from those two... super messy... or get a custom axle made that attaches the two ends...
Just the insides are bigger, the outers are the same as the sports! he should be good now, the wheel bearings and knuckles will work as well etc...

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180823_181402
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180823_181610

Thats the driver side si cv axle. It fits great. Thank you Bahndrvr your info was right on the money.

I ordered

- si half shaft (the rest of the passenger side cv axle)

- clutch alignment tool from Clutchmasters (since I lost the original one they gave me)

- 3m window weld (I'm going to fill the transmission mount since I have it out)

I picked up the flywheel from the machine shop.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180823_181839