SI transmission in a Sport hatch project

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
I'm going to attempt to put a 2017 civic si transmission in to a 2017 sport hatchback. I will also be installing the type r front sway bar and a fx350.

I will be keeping this updated with pics and letting you guys know what problems I run in to.

I'm really excited to start this project. I think its going to be a lot of fun and beneficial to the 10th gen community.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180817_104255
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Have you found any major differences between the two transmissions beyond the LSD, shifter cables and the shifter assembly itself?

Last edited:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I wonder if the Type R front sway bar represents the same increase in stiffness as the read sway bar. Do you happen to know?

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
I wonder if the Type R front sway bar represents the same increase in stiffness as the read sway bar. Do you happen to know?
It's higher increase in stiffness but unsure it will fit, the distances, and entire front suspension is different and superior in the TypeR, could luck up and have it work. Si model down is traditional mcpherson strut, TypeR is entirely different animal and superior in every way:)

Biggest difference he is goign to run into is the CV's are bigger going into the transmission side of the Axle Shafts.... From what I understand the outside axle's are identical but the Insides are different, However some research I have been doing shows some conflicting information so anxious to see myself:)

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
subframe is out. After looking at the type r bar vs the sport bar I think its going to fit. Honestly a bit disappointed the type r bar doesn't look much bigger.
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_003814
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_003846
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_005352
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_005411
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_005427
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_005503
Honda Civic 10th gen SI transmission in a Sport hatch project 20180818_005542

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found it on Ebay for $2000 shipped (I think the price for a useed si transmission will come down as more get wrecked).

I plan on reusing all of the hatch components.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I pulled my cv axles and test fitted them in the si transmission. They don't fit. I'm going to order some si cv axles and go from there. I think I'm going to have the same problem on the brake side.

I'm going to talk to my mechanic friend about how much work it would be to transplant the lsd in to my transmission. I don't think I will go that route but maybe.

I wish I had pulled a cv axle to test before dropping the subframe :doh:

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
I pulled my cv axles and test fitted them in the si transmission. They don't fit. I'm going to order some si cv axles and go from there. I think I'm going to have the same problem on the brake side.

I'm going to talk to my mechanic friend about how much work it would be to transplant the lsd in to my transmission. I don't think I will go that route but maybe.

I wish I had pulled a cv axle to test before dropping the subframe :doh:
Mentioned at above, as I stated above as well it’s just the inside of the cv’s the outside is identical! You can swap the insides of both shafts and be fine, but it’s easier to just order the axle shafts, I just bought the passenger side Si replacement for 167 shipped yesterday.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a good size difference, or is that just the camera angle?

ac143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan (manual)
Country flag
Stiffer front sway bar? I always thought that would change the handling balance towards understeer?

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Anti-Roll-Bars-How-to-choose-the-right-sway-bar-for-your-car
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...s-of-sway-bar-stiffness-on-rough-uneven-roads

Quick links from google, but they all seem to be mostly unanimous that a stiffer front sway bar would increase understeer.

The other stuff you are doing does seem interesting, what improvements do you expect with the SI gearbox?

just my 2 cents
Sponsored