grumpyguy6

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem. At least you tried to research, which is much appreciated over a lot of people who ask questions that can be answered by a simple google search.
Ummm...I did try to research...I screwed up and missed it and confessed earlier...
Sponsored

Uncle Lumpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
I contacted both Tire Rack and Goodyear--as indicated, the Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on the SI are asymmetric but they are NOT directional. The correct tire rotation pattern is the cross pattern shown in the manual. I don't know if the optional summer tires are similar.

Lumpy

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
Ummm...I did try to research...I screwed up and missed it and confessed earlier...
Not talking about you, there was some honest confusion among the information you were given. There are a lot of other people on forums with simple questions that need to be spoon fed more generally.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I contacted both Tire Rack and Goodyear--as indicated, the Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on the SI are asymmetric but they are NOT directional. The correct tire rotation pattern is the cross pattern shown in the manual. I don't know if the optional summer tires are similar.

Lumpy
Asymmetrical tires cannot be directional. It's like saying: the sky is blue so its green.

Uncle Lumpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
Asymmetrical tires cannot be directional. It's like saying: the sky is blue so its green.
Ummmmm...quoted directly from Tire Rack's website:

"Asymmetric and Directional Tread Patterns
Asymmetric and directional tread patterns have v-shaped tread grooves that are offset compared to the centerline of the tire. Tires featuring asymmetric and directional tread patterns must be treated as directional tires for tire rotation. However, if different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, they become location-specific and prohibit any tire rotation possibilities."

Next!

Lumpy

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Ummmmm...quoted directly from Tire Rack's website:

"Asymmetric and Directional Tread Patterns
Asymmetric and directional tread patterns have v-shaped tread grooves that are offset compared to the centerline of the tire. Tires featuring asymmetric and directional tread patterns must be treated as directional tires for tire rotation. However, if different tire sizes are used on the front vs. rear axle, they become location-specific and prohibit any tire rotation possibilities."

Next!

Lumpy
Jesus Christ. Ok believe what you want just dont drag others down with you.

Find some of these asymmetrical directional tires please, LOL.

And maybe watch this:

That's partly true in that they can only be mounted a certain way relative to the center of the car (inside vs outside). Technically, the dealer should be able rotate asymetricals to any corner of the car they wish.

This video does a decent job comparing the difference.

Uncle Lumpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag

I know that using Google can be difficult for some...so, from the Discount Tire direct website (source #2 that I've provided):

"Asymmetrical & Directional Tread
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Tire Rotation EDUtread-patterns_asymmetrical-and-directional-tire_small

Asymmetrical and directional tires are designed as a combination of the two tread designs. This tread pattern is very uncommon and is typically found in the ultra-high performance category. These tires can only be mounted one way and will be designated as either right side or left side tires for your vehicle. As long as the tires are not staggered, they can be rotated front to back. If the vehicle has staggered fitment the tires must remain in the same position for the duration of their life."

Are you going to run into this pattern often? No. However, I am providing correct information and have in each of the three posts I've now made in this thread.

Perhaps you might want to examine why you feel the need to prove yourself wrong. Repeatedly.

Lumpy

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

And maybe watch this:
Wrong. Stop. Just stop. The sky can be blue, but it can also be cloudy or clear and still be blue.

Uncle Lumpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI
Country flag
I'm still waiting for you to find an asymmetric tire that is also directional.

Asymmetrical tires CAN be swapped side to side and front to back.

Directional tires can only be swapped front to back.
First, apologies to the OP as we've gone a bit far afield from the original question.

Blindeye_03, your forum ID is apt as you keep turning a blind eye to the evidence. One example of an asymmetric, directional tire is the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 (in certain sizes only). For example, the P335/25ZR20 (99Y) size is both asymmetric and directional. There are others as well.

I'm tired of fighting ignorance on the web this evening. Yours is bigger. You win. There, are you happy now?

Lumpy

OP
OP
grumpyguy6

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good god...what have I done...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good god...what have I done...
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Tire Rotation giphy (9)

Things did escalate rather quickly.

I think, when considering asymmetrical + directional... the only thing that matters is directional at that point. The directional rules superceed the asymmetrical ones. Oddly enough, you'd have 2 different designed tires, one for the right and left side... unless my brain isn't working right. I can't flip them and make it work in my head. If I'm wrong... let me down gentle.

The OEM rims in my Z32 were staggered with the rears *slightly* wider. That *sucked*. I just replaced the rears as I burned them off and the fronts soldiered on. I found a non-staggered set for a 350z and never looked back... plus they were 18"s to boot.

Last edited:

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
giphy (9).gif

Things did escalate rather quickly.

I think, when considering asymmetrical + directional... the only thing that matters is directional at that point. The directional rules superceed the asymmetrical ones. Oddly enough, you'd have 2 different designed tires, one for the right and left side... unless my brain isn't working right. I can't flip them and make it work in my head. If I'm wrong... let me down gentle.

The OEM rims in my Z32 were staggered with the rears *slightly* wider. That *sucked*. I just replaced the rears as I burned them off and the fronts soldiered on. I found a non-staggered set for a 350z and never looked back... plus they were 18"s to boot.
EXACTLY my point. Asymmetric has meant that you have a tire that has an outside and an inside - that only matters when you mount the tire to the rim. You can swap that wheel with the mounted tire where ever the hell you want - unless youre staggered and well then you can still swap sides. Directional tires have the direction of rotation printed on the sidewall.

My S2000 had staggered wheels as well and different sized hubs so even if you wanted and tried to rotate the rears/fronts you couldnt get the rim to fit onto the hub. It gets expensive when you have directional tires on a non square wheel setup because you just cant rotate the tires at all.

First, apologies to the OP as we've gone a bit far afield from the original question.

Blindeye_03, your forum ID is apt as you keep turning a blind eye to the evidence. One example of an asymmetric, directional tire is the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport 2 (in certain sizes only). For example, the P335/25ZR20 (99Y) size is both asymmetric and directional. There are others as well.

I'm tired of fighting ignorance on the web this evening. Yours is bigger. You win. There, are you happy now?

Lumpy
Congrats on the name calling.

This tire?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...+2+ZP&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=325YR0PSC2ZP

How is that tire directional? So you'd mount two tires on the rims with the large block of rubber on the outside edge and mount the other two tires on the rims with the narrow rubber on the outside edge that way they all face the same direction? Please explain..

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/discount-tire-sold-me-4-right-tires.275842/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3800493-sport-cup-2-directional.html

http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/74178-pilot-sport-cup-tread-directionality.html
^ From the last thread ^
" The Cups are not directional. Once they are mounted on the wheels with the correct side facing out they can be rotated side to side. Give me a call anytime if you have questions. Any of our salesmen should have been able to answer that one. "

Last edited:

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
EXACTLY my point. Asymmetric has meant that you have a tire that has an outside and an inside - that only matters when you mount the tire to the rim. You can swap that wheel with the mounted tire where ever the hell you want - unless youre staggered and well then you can still swap sides. Directional tires have the direction of rotation printed on the sidewall.

How is that tire directional? So you'd mount two tires on the rims with the large block of rubber on the outside edge and mount the other two tires on the rims with the narrow rubber on the outside edge that way they all face the same direction? Please explain..
That's exactly WHY tires that are BOTH asymmetric AND directional are RARE as SEVERAL people have already pointed out to you. Can you imagine the confusion (including by you) of all those people confusing directional and asymmetric and how to mount them and rotate them by now having LEFT and RIGHT tires and the complexity in distribution chain of selling Pilot Cup SuperSport Maximo LEFT tires and RIGHT tires??? That does NOT mean it is physically/logically impossible as you claim. SEE POST #22 by Lumpy for an image of what an asymmetric directional tire can look like.
Sponsored