Si Sports Mode Bouncy?

lvis11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe silver
Country flag
i played around with the SI Coupe Sport mode today. I noticed the shocks were a little bouncier compared to for non-sport mode? Has anyone noticed this? i would think the sport mode would stiffen up the shocks a little bit? or maybe i have it backwards? thoughts?
Sponsored

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
i played around with the SI Coupe Sport mode today. I noticed the shocks were a little bouncier compared to for non-sport mode? Has anyone noticed this? i would think the sport mode would stiffen up the shocks a little bit? or maybe i have it backwards? thoughts?
When the shocks stiffen up your going to feel every Dip and bump that’s just apart of stiff suspension and comfort absorbs the shock from the road a lot better then while in sport mode

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Even after 5 months and 5,000 miles, I can barely tell a difference between SPORT and NORMAL modes as far as the dampers are concerned. I can't tell any difference in throttle response. About the only thing I notice is the steering firms up somewhat. If it weren't for the red lights in the instrument panel, I doubt I could tell what mode it was in. I wouldn't describe either mode as "bouncy". When I think of bouncy, I think of a 1978 Lincoln Town Car with worn out dampers that continues to bounce up and down even after it's stopped. :)

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Even after 5 months and 5,000 miles, I can barely tell a difference between SPORT and NORMAL modes as far as the dampers are concerned. I can't tell any difference in throttle response. About the only thing I notice is the steering firms up somewhat. If it weren't for the red lights in the instrument panel, I doubt I could tell what mode it was in. I wouldn't describe either mode as "bouncy". When I think of bouncy, I think of a 1978 Lincoln Town Car with worn out dampers that continues to bounce up and down even after it's stopped. :)
At first I didn't notice much difference. I'm also at about 5k miles in 3 months or so. I began to keep it in normal more and more as my commute is mostly highway with some traffic. Now when I put it into Sport mode I notice the firmer ride, heavier steering and more sensitive throttle.

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
I can definitely feel the steering difference and suspension (although not a huge difference), the throttle response only when creeping.

sdj544

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
On certain roads I can really tell the difference. There’s a section of freeway that I drive on that’s like a washboard and for whatever reason gets super bouncy and not pleasant at all to drive with the sport mode on.
Steering is definitely tighter. For the most part I can’t tell though. Not like on my Mini where it was a total dog as far as power with sport off.
-S

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Turn on Sport Mode in city driving. Starting in 1st you will annihilate your clutch slip from the increased throttle sensitivity.
That's how you know it's working lol. I recommend turning Sport Mode on when you are actually driving on freeways.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I 100% notice a difference between them. Sport mode tightens up the wheel and the suspension is stiffer and more rough feeling when hitting bumps and stuff. Throttle response is also slightly different. I drive in sport 90% of the time now.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I drive with sport mode on all the time of only for the steering

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Yes, sport mode is a bit more "bouncy". The car tries to follow the surface more accurately.

As an experiment "turn off" the VSA. It really doesn't turn it off I'm told, it just "relaxes" it. But it does give the car a different "feel" than normal or sport. I like the smoother, more torquey, acceleration, and feeling the car "sling" around the corners.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Turn on Sport Mode in city driving. Starting in 1st you will annihilate your clutch slip from the increased throttle sensitivity.
That's how you know it's working lol. I recommend turning Sport Mode on when you are actually driving on freeways.
My approach is usually the other way around. The Sport's partial throttle mapping seems to be more linear with boost building a bit sooner. When it's off, I feel as though the boost response is a little lazy (need to pay attention to it more though). I think it might be intentional to preserve fuel economy.

On the highway, Sport seems to kill fuel economy in the taller gears by being a bit more sensitive to small elevation changes. Turbo spools much earlier - great for performance/feedback, bad for mpgs lol. I also find the steering is a tad sensitive for straight line tracking. It's not bad - just noticeable.

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perhaps this is just terminology but I think of “bouncy” suspension as poorly dampened – zroger’s 1978 Lincoln Town Car example. Sport mode makes the suspension stiffer; with a stiffer suspension you feel road bumps more.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing different ways.

Agree that Sport mode reduces fuel economy. I usually use regular mode when slogging through rush hour traffic or cruising down the interstate, and switch to Sport mode on two-lane country roads.

grantsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
In all honesty I drive this car on twisty bumpy mountain roads and I have real hard time in feeling any appreciable difference. Not like other cars with adaptive dampers. For me there is absolutely no reason to just put it on sport and keep it there. Wasted feature in my opinion.

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I wish that when you put it in sport mode it would stay in sport mode. Seems like something that should be standard.
Sponsored