Si Seats - how comfortable for larger/older drivers?

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Subaru Crosstrek, shopping for a Civic Si (previously owned 9 Hondas)
I'd appreciate any comments from any "older"/"larger" drivers on how comfortable or uncomfortable you find the Si seats.

I'm 60-ish, 6'0", 210-ish lbs. Went to what I planned was to buy a Si last week, but first took it for a half hour test drive - and the longer I was in the seat, the more uncomfortable it was.

It was the bolsters, both side and bottom. I felt like a sausage in a casing. The bolsters were right up against my sides and legs. The seat was fine for a previous 5 minute test drive, but on this longer ride, it got more uncomfortable the longer I drove. I'm now concerned that it might not be the right car for long highway drives for someone my size, age, or seating position (admittedly, I like to 'man spread' in the seat).

Anyone else out there who is older or 'not small' have any experience with the seats? Do they 'break in' and get softer (or bolsters spread out) as some threads have suggested? Or are they just not the seats for long drives for larger drivers?

Thank you!
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 5'9'' and 190 lbs. I thought the Si seats were a lot more plush and softer than the seats that were in the '15 Si I traded in for the '18. I can't say anything for or against the other trims seats but I didn't quite have that problem. I did find that I needed to slide up or down (I can't remember which) a smidge from where I originally flopped down in the seat the first few times to realize I wasn't sitting in quite the best spot to be comfortable. Afterwards, I found it to be a lot more comfortable than the outgoing generation.

I've done 8+ hour drive w/o problems. See if a scoot up or down changes your perspective. As it is... I don't think the seats have changed in the year I've had mine... nor would have had wanted them to. Still a bit more vertically challenged than you so maybe a few 6-footers can chime in.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I'd appreciate any comments from any "older"/"larger" drivers on how comfortable or uncomfortable you find the Si seats.

I'm 60-ish, 6'0", 210-ish lbs. Went to what I planned was to buy a Si last week, but first took it for a half hour test drive - and the longer I was in the seat, the more uncomfortable it was.

It was the bolsters, both side and bottom. I felt like a sausage in a casing. The bolsters were right up against my sides and legs. The seat was fine for a previous 5 minute test drive, but on this longer ride, it got more uncomfortable the longer I drove. I'm now concerned that it might not be the right car for long highway drives for someone my size, age, or seating position (admittedly, I like to 'man spread' in the seat).

Anyone else out there who is older or 'not small' have any experience with the seats? Do they 'break in' and get softer (or bolsters spread out) as some threads have suggested? Or are they just not the seats for long drives for larger drivers?

Thank you!
I'm a much heavier guy and about the same height. When I first test drove the Si, I was like wow, I'm probably not buying this car but that was because I didn't lower the seat all the way. After I did that and pushed the seat back far enough (not all the way, though) it got better. The seat was still a little tight but as you can imagine, the seat broke in a bit. I drive a lot so I spend a lot of time in that seat. It hasn't been bad at all but I know if I took a road trip for more than 2 hours, I'd probably pull over for a stretch and walk around the car a few times lol. I do hour long trips all the time with no issues though..

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6’ and 50ish and when I bought the car I was 220 lbs. Didn’t bother me until I drove long distances. Then I discovered the sides of the seat really dug into the sides of my legs and hurt. Really uncomfortable after a while. I’ve since lost 30 pounds or so, and it’s better, but still hurts the sides of my legs if I’m in the saddle over an hour or so. We’ve put 16000 miles on the car, but I might have only put 3000 of those miles on it, so I can’t say about breaking in and getting more comfortable. The other drivers are both a little over 5’ and under 140 lbs so they ain’t breaking in squat.

The CTR has higher bolsters and it doesn’t hurt at all. Way more comfortable. Not a reason to spend the extra dough...just a data point.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Hi. 5'11". 240 (but as much muscle as fat - really - so I'm "dense" - physically, not mentally. Am I rambling?)

The seats were killing the sides of my legs. I was able to reduce and all but eliminate by moving my seat forward and putting more weight on feet. This worked well too as the arm rests are not optimal for me. Being a bit closer to the steering wheel makes the arm position better too. I think the answer is - comfortable is likely possible - but you may have to work at it. If the pain is too great, then these seats may not be for you. I was worried as I didn't take a half hour test drive. I was able to "fix it".

Funny thing though - I have a Pilot, that fits me perfectly being far away from the wheel and I can relax completely driving any distance. The more I drive the SI, the closer I move to the wheel in the Pilot. I'm getting used to being close. I've adjust my Pilot auto seat settings 3 times since owning the SI ( about 3 months ).

Good luck in your quest.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’m 6’ 250lbs. I don’t really find the seats uncomfortable. The sportiness of the Si counteracts tightness of the seat so I don’t mind it. I have to get out of the car every 2 hrs on long trips regardless of what I m driving.... bad hip and knees...lol. I sat in the hatchback sport when I was deciding what to buy and didn’t find them any more comfortable. Don’t know about the touring or ex-l though. The seat has broken in a bit since day one.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The seats in the Si, and R are quite uncomfortable if you are a bigger guy and you're tall. They do break in, I broke mine in via a road trip and while I can tolerate the seats now for long drives I like taking a little break to get out and move around. The seats in my 9th gen were quite a big more comfortable for me although they didn't quite hold you in as well.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m 5’9” 165 lbs and don’t have a problem with the bolstering. The damn seats are just too hard and the cushion is just too shallow. It doesn’t extend far enough toward the back of the knees. Anyway, not your size but I do frequent 3 hour road trips to visit family. This is NOT a road car. At 41 ive had quite a few cars and this one is by far the most uncomfortable to drive for anything over an hour.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I am not sure what the fascination is with the SI? Driving in traffic for 2 hours a day shifting is a bit much. I do have paddle shifters but never use them. The Touring has power seats and leather. I just don't understand why you can't get leather seats in any other model. No leather option for the SI - really? I prefer leather or fake leather but anything but cloth. Had fake leather which was better and more durable in my Mini. Easy to slide in. Comfortable as well. I read so many posts of Honda cloth seats wearing. After having power seats again I swear to God I will never go back. Even if it means higher end cars in the future. There are some options that are a must and many of them are in the Touring model.

Leather Seats
Power Seats
Auto Dimming Headlights
Adaptive Cruise
Seat Heaters

All a must have from now on.

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 58, and 6 foot and around 240 pounds. I found the seats to be a dealbreaker for me. The Type R would have been even more so. My commute is 35 miles each way, and I just found the bolsters to be a bit more than I was willing to deal with. Grumpy old man syndrome I guess. I do like my EX-T 6-speed though, as those seats are much more agreeable to me. As always, YMMV.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 58, and 6 foot and around 240 pounds. I found the seats to be a dealbreaker for me. The Type R would have been even more so. My commute is 35 miles each way, and I just found the bolsters to be a bit more than I was willing to deal with. Grumpy old man syndrome I guess. I do like my EX-T 6-speed though, as those seats are much more agreeable to me. As always, YMMV.
I will agree when I was heavier the Type R seats were a deal breaker. Since losing weight it’s actually the Si seats that hurt.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I have a friend that’s 5’7 and weighs around 300. He hates my car seats. Then again he has always hated compact cars. I’m only 5’3 120. But for those that are 6 feet+ and/or on the heavier side, it may be best to get the 1.5t or 2.0t accord.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm large, about 300lbs, and not old .

I find the seats very comfortable for all trips short and long

GaryXgen19

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic si
Country flag
I’m 6’3” haha 250 lbs and actually for about a month my back got this weird aching pain to be honest. But I did get used to it. And now no more pain. I really do like a them too
Sponsored