Si rear brakes on Sport hatch

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
In case anyone was curious, I had been considering this and now found the time to attempt it. All you would need are the Si rear caliper brackets, rotors, and dust shields.
Honda Civic 10th gen Si rear brakes on Sport hatch 5B6E1FFE-3F9D-4A62-8D75-E5D9C61DB229

Start by removing the rear caliper and caliper brackets. Then remove the rear rotor.
Honda Civic 10th gen Si rear brakes on Sport hatch 43630CAA-3BE0-4EE0-BF83-8879757EBA3A

You’ll have to remove the rear bearing at this point. This would be a good time to replace the bearing (if it’s worn or making noise). I reused the bearing. You could also upgrade the wheel studs right now. I didn’t bother.

Then you’ll have to remove the dust shield and replace it with the Si one. You could trim the dust shield (FYI, the front dust shield require minor trimming to fit the Si caliper, the rear dust shield requires you to trim all around. For the price of the dust shields, I just decided to replace them with the larger Si ones.
Honda Civic 10th gen Si rear brakes on Sport hatch CFE7A08B-4E1B-4E6D-90D7-267B69BF8048

Then assemble everything in the reverse order. Pads, caliper, brake line all stock Sport hatch. The 4 bolts for the rear bearing are must replace bolts btw.
Honda Civic 10th gen Si rear brakes on Sport hatch 1D2B761F-5803-4B52-A9D6-C59FB85E833A

The only real issue, if it was at all, was the harness for the parking brake actuator. Since the caliper is further out, it’s a slight reach for the harness. If you can wiggle the clip down like a 1/4”, you’ll be fine. I cut the clip off and secured it with zip ties. I’ll eventually get the OEM harness clip once I search through the catalog.

Another option is the Si rear ABS harness, but it’s not worth it and you’ll have the pigtail for the active damper just hanging around.
Honda Civic 10th gen Si rear brakes on Sport hatch 4B69F466-0CF0-4CFC-B5A6-146857F259F6

Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet, took a break to do the other side. I’m not expecting a huge improvement, but at least they complement my Si front brakes and brake balance is closer to stock. For the price, it’s not a bad upgrade.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Really cool to see, hope other's are able to use as a guide as well :)

Would've recommended adding stainless steel braided brake lines while you were in there, they definitely tighten up pedal feel. Perhaps next time when you are performing another brake fluid flush you should definitely consider!

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Really cool to see, hope other's are able to use as a guide as well :)

Would've recommended adding stainless steel braided brake lines while you were in there, they definitely tighten up pedal feel. Perhaps next time when you are performing another brake fluid flush you should definitely consider!
I timed my first 3 year brake flush with the installation of the Si front calipers. I wanted to feel the difference with just the caliper and rotor upgrade and nothing else.

Now with the rear brake upgrade, maybe the next upgrade will be brake lines. Or pads and rotors. Whichever comes first.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
How'd you take the wheel bearing out? Did you have to press it out?
And how was it changing out the fronts to the Si rotors?

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
How'd you take the wheel bearing out? Did you have to press it out?
And how was it changing out the fronts to the Si rotors?
The rear wheel bearing is held on with 4 bolts. It doesn’t need to be pressed out; the hub and bearing come out as one unit. There was a little bit of corrosion holding it in, you just have to wiggle it a bit to get it out. I put a little bit of anti-seize paste on the contact areas so it’ll be easier to get out next time.

If you live in a snow belt state, the corrosion might be worse and you might need other ways to get it out, either hitting it from the inside or slide hammer from the outside. This might damage the bearing races so budget for all new bearing and hub unit.

The fronts just needed a slight trim of the dust shield. The dust shield itself is cheap to replace, but requires the bearing being pressed out. If and when the front bearing wears out, then I’ll replace the dust shield at the same time. There’s pics in this thread:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/sport-hatch-vs-si-brakes.36534/#post-914249

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In case anyone was curious, I had been considering this and now found the time to attempt it. All you would need are the Si rear caliper brackets, rotors, and dust shields.
5B6E1FFE-3F9D-4A62-8D75-E5D9C61DB229.jpeg

Start by removing the rear caliper and caliper brackets. Then remove the rear rotor.
43630CAA-3BE0-4EE0-BF83-8879757EBA3A.jpeg

You’ll have to remove the rear bearing at this point. This would be a good time to replace the bearing (if it’s worn or making noise). I reused the bearing. You could also upgrade the wheel studs right now. I didn’t bother.

Then you’ll have to remove the dust shield and replace it with the Si one. You could trim the dust shield (FYI, the front dust shield require minor trimming to fit the Si caliper, the rear dust shield requires you to trim all around. For the price of the dust shields, I just decided to replace them with the larger Si ones.
CFE7A08B-4E1B-4E6D-90D7-267B69BF8048.jpeg

Then assemble everything in the reverse order. Pads, caliper, brake line all stock Sport hatch. The 4 bolts for the rear bearing are must replace bolts btw.
1D2B761F-5803-4B52-A9D6-C59FB85E833A.jpeg

The only real issue, if it was at all, was the harness for the parking brake actuator. Since the caliper is further out, it’s a slight reach for the harness. If you can wiggle the clip down like a 1/4”, you’ll be fine. I cut the clip off and secured it with zip ties. I’ll eventually get the OEM harness clip once I search through the catalog.

Another option is the Si rear ABS harness, but it’s not worth it and you’ll have the pigtail for the active damper just hanging around.
4B69F466-0CF0-4CFC-B5A6-146857F259F6.jpeg

Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet, took a break to do the other side. I’m not expecting a huge improvement, but at least they complement my Si front brakes and brake balance is closer to stock. For the price, it’s not a bad upgrade.
Excellent write up!
Thanks for sharing the information with everyone.

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What was the cost for parts only for the whole entire SI brake conversion you have done?

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
What was the cost for parts only for the whole entire SI brake conversion you have done?
I've collected the parts from different sellers over the past year, everything was used except for the rear rotors (not OEM, brand new R1 blanks I believe) and the rear dustshields (brand new OEM). A couple of the parts were free. All in, I probably spent no more than $250. Realistically though, you should be able to find most of these used under $500. Beware when you buy used parts. Know what you're getting and know to check for.

Here's what you'll need if you want to buy everything brand new. Not the route I would recommend though if paying MSRP:

Left front caliper: 45019-T2F-000
Right front caliper: 45018-T2F-000
Left front brake line: 01464-TBF-A00
Right front brake line: 01465-TBF-A00
Front rotors (x2): 45251-T2F-A82
Front pads: 45022-TX4-A80
Rear caliper brackets (x2): 43220-TGN-G01
Rear rotors (x2): 42510-TBF-A00
Rear dustshields (x2): 43253-TBF-A00

lunabar825

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatch sport
Country flag
I've collected the parts from different sellers over the past year, everything was used except for the rear rotors (not OEM, brand new R1 blanks I believe) and the rear dustshields (brand new OEM). A couple of the parts were free. All in, I probably spent no more than $250. Realistically though, you should be able to find most of these used under $500. Beware when you buy used parts. Know what you're getting and know to check for.

Here's what you'll need if you want to buy everything brand new. Not the route I would recommend though if paying MSRP:

Left front caliper: 45019-T2F-000
Right front caliper: 45018-T2F-000
Left front brake line: 01464-TBF-A00
Right front brake line: 01465-TBF-A00
Front rotors (x2): 45251-T2F-A82
Front pads: 45022-TX4-A80
Rear caliper brackets (x2): 43220-TGN-G01
Rear rotors (x2): 42510-TBF-A00
Rear dustshields (x2): 43253-TBF-A00
So the rear calipers are the same. It's only the rear bracket, dust shield and rotor that are different. Thank you!

Last edited:

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
So the rear calipers are the same. It's only the rear bracket, dust shield and rotor that are different. Thank you!
Correct, but the brake pad part numbers are different between sport hatch, type R, and Si, even though they are all the same shape. The difference might be in the pad compound or the supplier.

That’s only important when it comes time to replace them and want to go with OEM pads.

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait...The Si and the hatch have the same rear calipers?

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
Wait...The Si and the hatch have the same rear calipers?
According to the parts catalog, they are not the same part. But they have interchangeable pads. And the piston seal is the same part. Which tells me that internally, the dimensions (caliper bore and stroke maybe) are the same.

Some people have gone further into the research and it seems CTR rear calipers will also bolt up, but are a bit more expensive since they’re aluminum. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/type-r-rear-brakes-on-si.56337/page-2#post-918855

You can do that too, if you can find them cheap, they’ll bolt up to Sport hatch, Si, or CTR brackets, just need to get rotors that match. CTR diameter but 5x114, not 5x120.

That thread also says there’s not much to be gained from rear diameter upgrades, so again keep that in mind when you’re budgeting/prioritizing for these.

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to the parts catalog, they are not the same part. But they have interchangeable pads. And the piston seal is the same part. Which tells me that internally, the dimensions (caliper bore and stroke maybe) are the same.

Some people have gone further into the research and it seems CTR rear calipers will also bolt up, but are a bit more expensive since they’re aluminum. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/type-r-rear-brakes-on-si.56337/page-2#post-918855

You can do that too, if you can find them cheap, they’ll bolt up to Sport hatch, Si, or CTR brackets, just need to get rotors that match. CTR diameter but 5x114, not 5x120.

That thread also says there’s not much to be gained from rear diameter upgrades, so again keep that in mind when you’re budgeting/prioritizing for these.
Thank you for being very detail.