First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Oil consumption?
I’ve changed my oil and filter less than 2 months ago and I’m already at 60% oil life. Like I said in my first post I don’t drive long trips...
Sponsored

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
I’ve changed my oil and filter less than 2 months ago and I’m already at 60% oil life. Like I said in my first post I don’t drive long trips...
My car only had 129 miles on it and it said 60% as well. It held at 60% for the next 1500 miles and has been holding at 50% for 1,000 miles. Still hasn’t changed. So I wouldn’t worry about it. It knows what it’s doing. Honestly if you can’t trust a computer to tell you when to change the oil then just do it every 7.5 like everyone else. 5k is a bit early even with oil dilution. Many oils survive up to 15k miles before needing changed.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My car only had 129 miles on it and it said 60% as well. It held at 60% for the next 1500 miles and has been holding at 50% for 1,000 miles. Still hasn’t changed. So I wouldn’t worry about it. It knows what it’s doing. Honestly if you can’t trust a computer to tell you when to change the oil then just do it every 7.5 like everyone else. 5k is a bit early even with oil dilution. Many oils survive up to 15k miles before needing changed.
It’s not that I don’t trust a computer, just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same or a similar issue. But thanks for the advice tho

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I've just decided to change the oil twice a year and be done with it. I think anything over that would probably be overkill.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The MM oil life reading has nothing to do with oil consumption.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The MM oil life reading has nothing to do with oil consumption.
Ok. It seems that you know more than I do. could you be more specific in your comments and share your thoughts on this issue?

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Ok. It seems that you know more than I do. could you be more specific in your comments and share your thoughts on this issue?
There is a difference between oil consumption and oil life. Oil Consumption is when your engine burns oil in between oil changes, causing the amount of oil in the engine to drop. It is possible that some oil can be consumed in between oil changes, but you will be fine as long as it doesn't drop below safe levels on the dipstick. Ideally, your engine shouldn't consume much or any oil.

The Oil Life monitor that you are reading is different. You can think of it as a device that attempts to gauge the quality of your oil to determine when it will need to be changed.

Earlier, I posted exactly what the owners manual states. If you follow it, you will be fine. My sister has a civic that she had for over 10 years and just changed the oil when the car told her to. So don't worry!

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This guy got to it first.

There is a difference between oil consumption and oil life. Oil Consumption is when your engine burns oil in between oil changes, causing the amount of oil in the engine to drop. It is possible that some oil can be consumed in between oil changes, but you will be fine as long as it doesn't drop below safe levels on the dipstick. Ideally, your engine shouldn't consume much or any oil.

The Oil Life monitor that you are reading is different. You can think of it as a device that attempts to gauge the quality of your oil to determine when it will need to be changed.

Earlier, I posted exactly what the owners manual states. If you follow it, you will be fine. My sister has a civic that she had for over 10 years and just changed the oil when the car told her to. So don't worry!

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I really do appreciate all this information...:thumbsup:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone, I’ve being searching for a thread that has detailed info about the oil life time, but so far no luck. I know this is kind of irrelevant, because not every single car and driving are the same, but here I go. I have done my first oil and filter change about a 1.5 month ago, and right now my oil life status is telling me that is 60%, and I’ve drove around 1400 miles or less after the service. Well, literally my daily driving distance is about 80 miles a week, which I think is relatively short. Also, I don’t beat up my car every time I hit the road. I change gears at around 3000 rpm. So nothing to less, does anyone know if this is normal, that in such a short time my oil life is dropping “drastically”? Tbh, this is my first experience with this, so my apologies if this sound quite dumb to y’all. Thanks.
My experience is that the percentage of oil life left on the monitor does not decrease in an even fashion. Sometimes it stays at a reading for quite a while, other times it seems to drop much more quickly.
60 for 1,400 miles and 1.5 months is a bit low though. I am at 40 % and have well over 3,000 miles and 5 months on my last oil change. Disclosure: I run full synthetic, not partial synthetic blend. may have something to do with it.

OP
OP
gva2984

gva2984

Not just another Type R
First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My experience is that the percentage of oil life left on the monitor does not decrease in an even fashion. Sometimes it stays at a reading for quite a while, other times it seems to drop much more quickly.
60 for 1,400 miles and 1.5 months is a bit low though. I am at 40 % and have well over 3,000 miles and 5 months on my last oil change. Disclosure: I run full synthetic, not partial synthetic blend. may have something to do with it.
Te paperwork from the Honda dealer says full synthetic, but who knows what they actually used.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Disclosure: I run full synthetic, not partial synthetic blend. may have something to do with it.
It has absolutely nothing to do with it. The maintenance minder has no idea what kind of oil you're running or if you're even running oil instead of grapefruit juice.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
It has absolutely nothing to do with it. The maintenance minder has no idea what kind of oil you're running or if you're even running oil instead of grapefruit juice.
That being said. The last oil change I asked the dealer if he was using a synthetic blend, or a full synthetic. He punched the keyboard a few times and then replied, "it's an Si, so you get full synthetic". "Excellent" I said. Tires and oil are no places to cheap out.
Sponsored