Si MAF sensor vs Non-Si MAF sensor

K.Kirkpatrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Hatchback LX
Country flag
So say someone purchased an air intake to install in their 2017 civic 1.5T Hatchback LX not realizing that the MAF housing was designed to fit the larger 10th gen civic Si MAF sensor. The intake fits on the turbo Inlet and in the engine bay just fine but the problem is mounting the non-Si MAF sensor correctly.
My question is..
Is an Si MAF sensor (37980-5BA-A01) compatible with the 4 pin connection for the non-Si sensor (DENSO 37980-RLF-013) and could it simply be swapped with the correct fitting sensor without causing issues? Or perhaps there is an adapter to aid in mounting the non-Si MAF to the slightly larger diameter of the new intake mounting port?
Wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this problem before?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe the MAF sensors are fundamentally different. 4 pin analog vs 3 pin digital. Don't go down that road.

You can try and force your MAF into the housing but you're still gonna run into fuel trim issues.

Do it right and sell this intake. Get the right model for your car. Call it a learning experience.

OP
OP

K.Kirkpatrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Hatchback LX
Country flag
I believe the MAF sensors are fundamentally different. 4 pin analog vs 3 pin digital. Don't go down that road.

You can try and force your MAF into the housing but you're still gonna run into fuel trim issues.

Do it right and sell this intake. Get the right model for your car. Call it a learning experience.
Thanks I appreciate the reply, they both have 4 pins which is why I thought it could possibly be a solution.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I remember something about the Si maf reading Hertz and base maf reading volts. I have to imagine the ecu wouldn't like it even if you got everything connected but don't quote me on that.

brummyuk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport 1.5L 2018
Country flag
So say someone purchased an air intake to install in their 2017 civic 1.5T Hatchback LX not realizing that the MAF housing was designed to fit the larger 10th gen civic Si MAF sensor. The intake fits on the turbo Inlet and in the engine bay just fine but the problem is mounting the non-Si MAF sensor correctly.
My question is..
Is an Si MAF sensor (37980-5BA-A01) compatible with the 4 pin connection for the non-Si sensor (DENSO 37980-RLF-013) and could it simply be swapped with the correct fitting sensor without causing issues? Or perhaps there is an adapter to aid in mounting the non-Si MAF to the slightly larger diameter of the new intake mounting port?
Wondering if anyone else has ever ran into this problem before?
Did you end up trying an Si sensor?